Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED filament bulb

I Have just had a LED filament bulb fail, it's an 11W lumilife one.

I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED strips could be driven by a home
made circuit? That's if I can extract them. Also is the glass envelope
doing anything other than preventing access because of high voltages?

This is for my general interest rather than any cost saving as they are
less than a tenner.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2018 15:19, AJH wrote:
I Have just had a LED filament bulb fail, it's an 11W lumilife one.

I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED* strips could be driven by a home
made circuit? That's if I can extract them.

Yup, no reason why not, assuming they are not the things that failed.

Also is the glass envelope
doing anything other than preventing* access because of high voltages?

There is no protected atmosphere in there - its just keeping fingers and
dust out.

This is for my general interest rather than any cost saving as they are
less than a tenner.

If you email LED hut they will normally send you a replacement FoC

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:04:33 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

If you email LED hut they will normally send you a replacement FoC

They are doing so but have not asked me to return the failed one so I
thought I might play (thanks Alan I'll look for Big Clive)

I bought this because it gave the most lumens and I wanted it to go in a
globe, however at 63mm it won't fit into the 60mm hole, but if I cut the
glass off...

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you email LED hut they will normally send you a replacement FoC

They are doing so but have not asked me to return the failed one so I
thought I might play (thanks Alan I'll look for Big Clive)

Yup, Clive (used to post here years ago), is a good man to check out for
all kinds of LED lamp butchery ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you email LED hut they will normally send you a replacement FoC

They are doing so but have not asked me to return the failed one so I
thought I might play (thanks Alan I'll look for Big Clive)

Yup, Clive (used to post here years ago), is a good man to check out for
all kinds of LED lamp butchery ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcDgOGC5Lcc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you email LED hut they will normally send you a replacement FoC

They are doing so but have not asked me to return the failed one so I
thought I might play (thanks Alan I'll look for Big Clive)

Yup, Clive (used to post here years ago), is a good man to check out for
all kinds of LED lamp butchery ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcDgOGC5Lcc

that is too weird.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2018 15:19, AJH wrote:
I Have just had a LED filament bulb fail, it's an 11W lumilife one.

I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED* strips could be driven by a home
made circuit? That's if I can extract them.* Also is the glass envelope
doing anything other than preventing* access because of high voltages?

This is for my general interest rather than any cost saving as they are
less than a tenner.

AJH

Each filament may require 70V+ as it will be an array of LEDs in series.

Check BigClive Youtube tear-down videos of such devices

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2018 17:16, alan_m wrote:
On 19/11/2018 15:19, AJH wrote:
I Have just had a LED filament bulb fail, it's an 11W lumilife one.

I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED* strips could be driven by a home
made circuit? That's if I can extract them.* Also is the glass
envelope doing anything other than preventing* access because of high
voltages?

This is for my general interest rather than any cost saving as they
are less than a tenner.

AJH

Each filament may require 70V+ as it will be an array of LEDs in series.

Check BigClive Youtube tear-down videos of such devices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkL72XVtKew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffhdAz9pc4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cFXAtX89fY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:19:10 -0000, AJH wrote:

I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED strips could be driven by a home
made circuit? That's if I can extract them. Also is the glass envelope
doing anything other than preventing access because of high voltages?

Get thee over to BigClive... he https://youtu.be/lfJKq-igxJI and
https://youtu.be/NffhdAz9pc4

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
Get thee over to BigClive... he https://youtu.be/lfJKq-igxJI and
https://youtu.be/NffhdAz9pc4

He has just the right repair tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1IjOi9cBsE

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2018 15:19, AJH wrote:
I Have just had a LED filament bulb fail, it's an 11W lumilife one.

I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED* strips could be driven by a home
made circuit? That's if I can extract them.* Also is the glass envelope
doing anything other than preventing* access because of high voltages?

This is for my general interest rather than any cost saving as they are
less than a tenner.

AJH

Yes and No. Respectively.
..

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer