Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wiring a single filament bulb to flash?

Motorcycle with twin filament bulb for turns/running light.

I'm fitting mirrors w/integral turns, i.e. single filament
bulb.

The m/c turn signal switch turns the running lights off,
when the signal is flashing.

Possible to wire to cause the single filament to be "On' as
running light, then flash as a turn signal?

thanks

gary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: (clip) Possible to wire to cause the single
filament to be "On' as running light, then flash as a turn signal?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is probably a relay that responds to your turn signal switch,
diverting power from the running light, through a flasher unit to the other
filament. Maybe you could use this relay to insert the flasher unit in the
circuit leading to your new mirror lights.

If it's not done with a relay, you should still be able to use the existing
turn signal switch to send power through a flasher unit.

One possible problem: turn signals are generally a heavier, brighter
filament than running lights (or what I call parking lights.) The flasher
may not work properly with the lighter load.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

i just figured out a way to make that happen cheaply. I found one of thoze
trailer wiring adapters that let a vehicle with yellow turn signals work a
trailer. Looks like I can wire it to my bikes turn signal wiring so my bulbs
work both as running lights and turn signals. A lot cheaper than the ones
they sell specifically for bikes.

Fred
wrote in message

Motorcycle with twin filament bulb for turns/running light.

I'm fitting mirrors w/integral turns, i.e. single filament
bulb.

The m/c turn signal switch turns the running lights off,
when the signal is flashing.

Possible to wire to cause the single filament to be "On' as
running light, then flash as a turn signal?

thanks

gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:28:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

wrote: (clip) Possible to wire to cause the single
filament to be "On' as running light, then flash as a turn signal?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is probably a relay that responds to your turn signal switch,
diverting power from the running light, through a flasher unit to the other
filament. Maybe you could use this relay to insert the flasher unit in the
circuit leading to your new mirror lights.

If it's not done with a relay, you should still be able to use the existing
turn signal switch to send power through a flasher unit.

One possible problem: turn signals are generally a heavier, brighter
filament than running lights (or what I call parking lights.) The flasher
may not work properly with the lighter load.

Mabee do like GM did.Side markers flashed opposite signals. 1157
signals and 194 markers. Markers wired to ground through the signals.
Blinked out when signals came on.

power to mirror light, ground side of mirror light connected to live
side of signal lamp. Signal lamp grounded as normal. When power is on
the mirror lamps and the signals are off, power flows through the
mirror lights (lighting them) and through the signal fillaments (front
and back in parallel in this case) to ground. The signals do not glow
due to low current. When the signal is energised, the mirror light has
power on both sides, so no current flows and the bulb blinks off. The
signa;s DO glow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:54:12 -0500, "Fast Freddy"
wrote:

i just figured out a way to make that happen cheaply. I found one of thoze
trailer wiring adapters that let a vehicle with yellow turn signals work a
trailer. Looks like I can wire it to my bikes turn signal wiring so my bulbs
work both as running lights and turn signals. A lot cheaper than the ones
they sell specifically for bikes.

Fred
wrote in message
.. .

Motorcycle with twin filament bulb for turns/running light.

I'm fitting mirrors w/integral turns, i.e. single filament
bulb.

The m/c turn signal switch turns the running lights off,
when the signal is flashing.

Possible to wire to cause the single filament to be "On' as
running light, then flash as a turn signal?

thanks

gary

To make it work you would be connecting the "brake" connection on the
"car" side to the running light wire and the "signal" wires to the
signal wires of the "car" side, with the mirror lights on the
"trailer" side. if I understand you correctly.

You are only having the mirror lights for both "marker lights " or
"driving lights" AND signals?????

If so, you can still do it the "simple" way if the fillaments in the
mirror lights are significantly lower current than the rear signals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Broke out the DMM, and after a bit of poking around, ended
up connecting BOTH turn and running light lines to the pwr
lead on the mirror.

Lights up as running light, when turn switch is energized,
running light switches OFF, then flashes as a turn signal.

thanks for the advice and suggestions.

gary