Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plaster second skim coat days later?

Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2018 21:14, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

I've tended to do the one coat.

You should use the same amount of plaster overall whether one coat or
two. 2 x 1.5mm vs 1 x 3mm.

The first coat is more to cover and the second applied after it has gone
stiff but before it had hardened. The first need not be polished, unlike
the second coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/18 21:14, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george

Not really - the way it works is to blend into the 1st coat IME

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 November 2018 21:14:55 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george

IME it may not stick.
So,
Wet down first coat with diluted PVA
Mix in PVA with second coat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 16/11/2018 21:14, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

I've tended to do the one coat.

(Snip)

Care to elaborate?

--
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do not think the top skim of plaster will not stick, after all it adheres to many surfaces such as old plaster and even paint when you feather it in to existing plaster. The problem I think you will find is that it will be difficult to smooth out as the drier plaster will tend to suck the water out of the coat you are applying. Wetting may help although the amount you will have to apply might affect the integrity of the first coat. A PVA seal may be your best option if you cannot apply two coats at the same time.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2018 09:17, Jim K wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 16/11/2018 21:14, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

I've tended to do the one coat.

(Snip)

Care to elaborate?

I have put on one coat of finishing plaster and then gone over to where
I started and polished it, going over the area a number of times.

We are talking putting a skim on plasterboard if there is any confusion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2018 06:56, harry wrote:
On Friday, 16 November 2018 21:14:55 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george

IME it may not stick.
So,
Wet down first coat with diluted PVA

A plasterer I know, where putting a skim onto old plaster, would paint
PVA onto the old and coat when still tacky.

Mix in PVA with second coat

Not hear of that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2018 06:56, harry wrote:
On Friday, 16 November 2018 21:14:55 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george

IME it may not stick.
So,
Wet down first coat with diluted PVA
Mix in PVA with second coat

When I've had to do this I've always left the first coat with a
thoroughly keyed surface by scoring the surface after it has started to
go hard. Before the second coat paint with PVA, leave for a short while
for it to start getting to the really sticky state, and then applying a
second coat of plaster. If the PVA has dried out before you get to start
plastering apply another coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

With a friend we did 2 plaster coats in 9 hours,
the ceiling about 5 meters by 5 meters
(8 sawn off plasterboards)
3 and a half bags of multifinish,
5 mixes.

I'm a bit too tired to try and dampen it and polish it tonight,
I would probably do more damage than good,
so will sand and fill it in a few days.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement,
I now know how much plastering I can do in a day,
roughly 2 hours per 4x8 plasterboard,
a bit longer with final polishing
(which would save time from sanding and patching!)

plaster skim coat Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 8 March 7th 13 12:59 PM
Skim coat plaster joeblow Home Repair 6 September 15th 06 01:24 AM
plaster skim coat: effect of temperature of hairline crack formation [email protected] UK diy 2 July 17th 06 09:17 AM
Why has new plaster skim coat not stuck? rrh UK diy 2 April 25th 05 07:30 PM
drywall v. skim coat plaster New Arty Boy Home Repair 6 June 30th 04 01:38 PM