Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Plaster second skim coat days later?

On 17/11/2018 06:56, harry wrote:
On Friday, 16 November 2018 21:14:55 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,
with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george

IME it may not stick.
So,
Wet down first coat with diluted PVA
Mix in PVA with second coat

When I've had to do this I've always left the first coat with a
thoroughly keyed surface by scoring the surface after it has started to
go hard. Before the second coat paint with PVA, leave for a short while
for it to start getting to the really sticky state, and then applying a
second coat of plaster. If the PVA has dried out before you get to start
plastering apply another coat.