Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding

On 18/11/2018 20:52, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 23:20:25 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

It's normally for arc stability. It is normal to add a small amount of
CO2 to argon as pure argon has poor arc stability. O2/argon mixes are
for stability. Though only a couple of % of O2 is needed.

Is there any subject on earth you actually *don't* know anything about?
Just curious....

Gynaecology?

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2018 01:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 22:53:34 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I originally did stick welding, where I would do 'spots' on thin
material. A MIG is a dream to use and haven't looked back since.

MIG is no doubt the most user-friendly welding method of the lot. Very
little skill required and most of that to do with just getting the set-up
right.

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

But you can't beat stick for heavy plate IMO; assuming you have a proper
oil-cooled job like an Olympia or Oxford and not some Chinese "inverter-
turbo" ******** contraption.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are
poor.

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
MIG is no doubt the most user-friendly welding method of the lot. Very
little skill required and most of that to do with just getting the
set-up right.

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

I doubt then you've ever done any car body repairs. All too easy to warp
panels with acetylene. Very difficult to do that with MIG - unless a total
idiot.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:08:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

I'm surprised. I think it's universally acknowledged that oxy-acetylene
welding requires considerably more skill and practice than any other
commonly used method (doubly or triply so when working with aluminium!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:07:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Gynaecology?

Funny, when you wrote that word I instantly pictured Theresa May. I guess
in my mind at least she is synomynous with '****' - but I doubt I'm alone
here. A slimy, rancid, revolting ****...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2018 00:23, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:07:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Gynaecology?

Funny, when you wrote that word I instantly pictured Theresa May. I guess
in my mind at least she is synomynous with '****' - but I doubt I'm alone
here. A slimy, rancid, revolting ****...

A pig headed stubborn tool. A walking EU programmed Maybot. A Zombified
Europoodle.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2018 00:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:08:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

I'm surprised. I think it's universally acknowledged that oxy-acetylene
welding requires considerably more skill and practice than any other
commonly used method (doubly or triply so when working with aluminium!)

Really? It has one huge advantage., You can see the torch and the
workpiece with a mask on BEFORE you start welding.

Yes, I've welded aluminoium. And soldered it, too.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2018 12:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2018 00:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:26:59 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

MIG/MAG is usually much easier for thinner stuff. TIG will do really
delicate stuff (although more slowly).

MAG??

Most wire fed gas shield welding on steel uses CO2 as a primary
shielding gas rather than pure Argon or Helium. CO2 is classed as an
"Active" rather than an "Inert" gas, hence MAG rather than MIG.

Trouble with TIG is the work piece has to be *super-clean* for some
reason, so it's a drag to prepare.

Yup, the more refined the process, the cleaner it needs to be usually.
If you want to weld through a load of rust and crap, there is not much
to beat stick!

That said, I once watched a really exceptional welder repairing a
fractured cast iron cooker pan support with TIG, and when he'd finished
not only could you barely detect the repair, the grey "stove enamel"
which I guess was actually a glaze seemed to have flowed back over the
metal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
MIG is no doubt the most user-friendly welding method of the lot. Very
little skill required and most of that to do with just getting the
set-up right.

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

I doubt then you've ever done any car body repairs. All too easy to warp
panels with acetylene. Very difficult to do that with MIG - unless a total
idiot.

Back in the old days when young research officers had no money, one of
our lab techs used to get all our cheap rusty cars through the MOT in
the evenings, and he only used gas. Never saw him having a problem with
warping. But we only employed techs with amazing skills. Looking back,
I'm not sure how our HR and management did the recruitment so well, I
guess they researched the references and had good contacts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2018 00:23, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:07:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Gynaecology?

Funny, when you wrote that word I instantly pictured Theresa May. I guess
in my mind at least she is synomynous with '****' - but I doubt I'm alone
here. A slimy, rancid, revolting ****...

A pig headed stubborn tool. A walking EU programmed Maybot. A Zombified
Europoodle.

Or the best of a bad bunch? And I say that as a Labour voter. Corbyn's
suggestion that he could have negociated a better deal had me rolling on
the floor. He couldn't even win the last election.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
MIG is no doubt the most user-friendly welding method of the lot. Very
little skill required and most of that to do with just getting the
set-up right.

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

I doubt then you've ever done any car body repairs. All too easy to warp
panels with acetylene. Very difficult to do that with MIG - unless a total
idiot.

Back in the old days when young research officers had no money, one of
our lab techs used to get all our cheap rusty cars through the MOT in
the evenings, and he only used gas. Never saw him having a problem with
warping. But we only employed techs with amazing skills.

Snip

How much welded body repairs was he welding with a gas axe though?

Presumably Benson & hedges packets & isopon did for the bits
"above the waterline"?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2018 00:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:08:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I always found acetylene was..but then I was trained on that - not on
arc of any sort.

I'm surprised. I think it's universally acknowledged that oxy-acetylene
welding requires considerably more skill and practice than any other
commonly used method (doubly or triply so when working with aluminium!)

Really? It has one huge advantage., You can see the torch and the
workpiece with a mask on BEFORE you start welding.

You can do that with stick, MIG or TIG welding, with a auto-darkening
helmet.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 21/11/2018 00:23, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:07:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Gynaecology?

Funny, when you wrote that word I instantly pictured Theresa May. I
guess
in my mind at least she is synomynous with '****' - but I doubt I'm
alone
here. A slimy, rancid, revolting ****...

A pig headed stubborn tool. A walking EU programmed Maybot. A Zombified
Europoodle.

Or the best of a bad bunch? And I say that as a Labour voter. Corbyn's
suggestion that he could have negociated a better deal had me rolling on
the floor. He couldn't even win the last election.

Thats for a different reason, the whole of Scotland voting SNP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I doubt then you've ever done any car body repairs. All too easy to warp
panels with acetylene. Very difficult to do that with MIG - unless a total
idiot.

Back in the old days when young research officers had no money, one of
our lab techs used to get all our cheap rusty cars through the MOT in
the evenings, and he only used gas. Never saw him having a problem with
warping. But we only employed techs with amazing skills. Looking back,
I'm not sure how our HR and management did the recruitment so well, I
guess they researched the references and had good contacts.

Quite a difference between doing structural repairs just to get through an
MOT and restoring an old car properly.

But then MIG (or rather affordable ones) didn't exist in the old days.

--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Back in the 1960s I was introduced to a car repairer: he was "George, the
only person I know who can weld two pieces of rust together."

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles Wrote in message:
wrote:
[...]

Could he?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2018 22:35, Jim K wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
[...]

Well, I didn't worry about "pretty" in those days, he mainly did the
structural stuff required for MOT which was typically floors, sills,
chassis rails, suspension mounting points etc. But sometimes fitting
wings as well. I guess these were stiff enough not to distort, and minor
warping of floor panels isn't really visible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2018 00:04, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
On 21/11/2018 00:23, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:07:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Gynaecology?

Funny, when you wrote that word I instantly pictured Theresa May. I
guess
in my mind at least she is synomynous with '****' - but I doubt I'm
alone
here. A slimy, rancid, revolting ****...

A pig headed stubborn tool. A walking EU programmed Maybot. A
Zombified Europoodle.

Or the best of a bad bunch? And I say that as a Labour voter. Corbyn's
suggestion that he could have negociated a better deal had me rolling
on the floor. He couldn't even win the last election.

Thats for a different reason, the whole of Scotland voting SNP.

That didn't help, but you also have to ask why they did that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
On 21/11/2018 00:23, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:07:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Gynaecology?

Funny, when you wrote that word I instantly pictured Theresa May. I
guess
in my mind at least she is synomynous with '****' - but I doubt I'm
alone
here. A slimy, rancid, revolting ****...

A pig headed stubborn tool. A walking EU programmed Maybot. A Zombified
Europoodle.

Or the best of a bad bunch? And I say that as a Labour voter. Corbyn's
suggestion that he could have negociated a better deal had me rolling on
the floor. He couldn't even win the last election.

Thats for a different reason, the whole of Scotland voting SNP.

That didn't help, but you also have to ask why they did that.

Basically they are that parochial. They have always been
a Labour stronghold and SNP is Labour + parochial.

Welding Pigs (Watch Tig Welding/Brazing with Silicon Bronze First) jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 December 29th 14 09:14 PM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM
Welding holes in a chaincase - advice wanted [email protected] UK diy 5 July 15th 03 09:25 AM
Welding O2 Kerry Fletcher UK diy 3 July 13th 03 09:46 PM
Would welding the steel in re-enforced concrete add any value? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 12th 03 06:25 PM