Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clamp together waterproof box ?

External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector, a
reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building and
are thus exposed to the rain etc.

Up until now I've used a bit of 50 mm sleeving with everything poked inside
and the ends turned over and held with ty-wraps. Doesn't look professional
and is not really storm or spider proof.

The various bits are obviously too large to get through a waterproof cable
gland, so is there some sort of two part shell box that can be clamped round
the bit's to keep out the weather?

(Request prompted by yet again having to climb the lamp post to dig the will
life out of the cat5 socket !)

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 November 2018 12:11:28 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector, a
reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building and
are thus exposed to the rain etc.

I think the neatest solutions I've seen involve mounting the camera *on* a weatherproof box so the umbilical is all internal.

I don't know if this is big enough

https://www.bcedirect.co.uk/products...verhead-cables

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telephone...pid=1894805980

Alternatively the "questions" suggest that the socket faceplate in this is removable and replaceable so you could just use it without the gubbins.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2g...d-socket/67928

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Friday, 9 November 2018 12:11:28 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector,
reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building and
are thus exposed to the rain etc.

I think the neatest solutions I've seen involve mounting the camera *on* a
weatherproof box so the umbilical is all internal.

I don't know if this is big enough

https://www.bcedirect.co.uk/products...verhead-cables

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telephone...pid=1894805980

Alternatively the "questions" suggest that the socket faceplate in this is
removable and replaceable so you could just use it without the gubbins.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2g...d-socket/67928

Owain

Those BT cable joiners look 'almost' ideal. Cable size is marginal as they
take up to 6.5 mm and the Tenvis cable is 6.8 mm (but may jam in!) but
my main concern is the depth and length of the inside space to accommodate
the 21 mm x 24 mm x 93 mm long CAT5 cable mounted socket with a plug in it.

So what I want is one of those on steroids please !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 12:11, Andrew Mawson wrote:
External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector,
a reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building
and are thus exposed to the rain etc.

Up until now I've used a bit of 50 mm sleeving with everything poked
inside and the ends turned over and held with ty-wraps. Doesn't look
professional and is not really storm or spider proof.

The various bits are obviously too large to get through a waterproof
cable gland, so is there some sort of two part shell box that can be
clamped round the bit's to keep out the weather?

(Request prompted by yet again having to climb the lamp post to dig the
will life out of the cat5 socket !)

Andrew

If I can gate-crash on this . . . I have a similar but somewhat
different requirement. I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi-based receiving
station to feed aircraft data to FlightRadar24 - and would like to be
able to use an internal aerial externally for better coverage. It would
need weatherproofing. It's a telescopic jobbie about 350mm fully
extended, on a magnetic base whose diameter is about 30mm. I have in
mind mounting it in something like an over-sized inverted test tube,
which I could mount at the apex of a gable wall and pass the cable
through an air-brick into the roof space. So far, I haven't find
anything suitable. Bit of lateral thinking, anybody?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
[...]

Heat shrink?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 13:33, Roger Mills wrote:
On 09/11/2018 12:11, Andrew Mawson wrote:
External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector,
a reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building
and are thus exposed to the rain etc.

Up until now I've used a bit of 50 mm sleeving with everything poked
inside and the ends turned over and held with ty-wraps. Doesn't look
professional and is not really storm or spider proof.

The various bits are obviously too large to get through a waterproof
cable gland, so is there some sort of two part shell box that can be
clamped round the bit's to keep out the weather?

(Request prompted by yet again having to climb the lamp post to dig the
will life out of the cat5 socket !)

Andrew

If I can gate-crash on this . . .Â*Â* I have a similar but somewhat
different requirement. I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi-based receiving
station to feed aircraft data to FlightRadar24 - and would like to be
able to use an internal aerial externally for better coverage. It would
need weatherproofing. It's a telescopic jobbie about 350mm fully
extended, on a magnetic base whose diameter is about 30mm. I have in
mind mounting it in something like an over-sized inverted test tube,
which I could mount at the apex of a gable wall and pass the cable
through an air-brick into the roof space. So far, I haven't find
anything suitable. Bit of lateral thinking, anybody?

I think I would just go for rigid plastic tube, such as the type used
for overflow pipes from water cylinders and cisterns. With a rubber bung
in the top end. Or stuff a bit of kitchen roll down it and fill the top
inch or so with silicone "bath sealant".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 15:16, newshound wrote:
[...]

That's not a bad idea - thanks. A solent weld end-stop should seal the
top up ok. I was thinking of something you could see through - but
that's probably not necessary as long as it doesn't attenuate the radio
waves too much. Does colour matter? I've got some spare black tube left
over from connecting the gutters of a greenhouse to a water butt.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 23:28, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Black may have some carbon loading...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2018 13:34, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I'd go for white, but something tells me black pvc or ABS isn't loaded
with carbon. In any case, the micron sized particles would be
electrically insulated so *should* be OK for RF?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

PVC pipe with a cap or two.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 13:33, Roger Mills wrote:
If I can gate-crash on this . . .Â*Â* I have a similar but somewhat
different requirement. I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi-based receiving
station to feed aircraft data to FlightRadar24 - and would like to be
able to use an internal aerial externally for better coverage. It would
need weatherproofing. It's a telescopic jobbie about 350mm fully
extended, on a magnetic base whose diameter is about 30mm. I have in
mind mounting it in something like an over-sized inverted test tube,
which I could mount at the apex of a gable wall and pass the cable
through an air-brick into the roof space. So far, I haven't find
anything suitable. Bit of lateral thinking, anybody?

Inverted glazed flowerpot with a hole in the base?

Or a plastic one?

It isnt clear if the telescopic bit is to be exposed.

Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 13:33, Roger Mills wrote:
If I can gate-crash on this . . . I have a similar but somewhat
different requirement. I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi-based receiving
station to feed aircraft data to FlightRadar24 - and would like to be
able to use an internal aerial externally for better coverage. It
would need weatherproofing. It's a telescopic jobbie about 350mm fully
extended, on a magnetic base whose diameter is about 30mm. I have in
mind mounting it in something like an over-sized inverted test tube,
which I could mount at the apex of a gable wall and pass the cable
through an air-brick into the roof space. So far, I haven't find
anything suitable. Bit of lateral thinking, anybody?

Inverted glazed flowerpot with a hole in the base?

Or a plastic one?

It isnt clear if the telescopic bit is to be exposed.

No. I want the whole thing protected from the weather - but not from
radio waves.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 13:33:26 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

If I can gate-crash on this . . . I have a similar but somewhat
different requirement. I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi-based receiving
station to feed aircraft data to FlightRadar24 - and would like to be
able to use an internal aerial externally for better coverage. It would
need weatherproofing. It's a telescopic jobbie about 350mm fully
extended, on a magnetic base whose diameter is about 30mm. I have in
mind mounting it in something like an over-sized inverted test tube,
which I could mount at the apex of a gable wall and pass the cable
through an air-brick into the roof space. So far, I haven't find
anything suitable. Bit of lateral thinking, anybody?

Make a new aerial that works better than the one you have

This is one of the many designs online

https://www.balarad.net/

Buy the flighaware aerial that works better than the one you have

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi...nna-66cm--26in

Wrap the existing aerial in denso tape or self amalgamating tape

Whatever you do make sure the raspberry pi is accessible and not mounted in a
box on he aerial mast or in some remote corner of the loft because at some point
you will need to power it down or replace / reformat the memory card / configure
the wifi / plug a keyboard in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector, a
reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building and
are thus exposed to the rain etc.

Up until now I've used a bit of 50 mm sleeving with everything poked inside
and the ends turned over and held with ty-wraps. Doesn't look professional
and is not really storm or spider proof.

The various bits are obviously too large to get through a waterproof cable
gland, so is there some sort of two part shell box that can be clamped round
the bit's to keep out the weather?

(Request prompted by yet again having to climb the lamp post to dig the will
life out of the cat5 socket !)

Andrew

Something like Openreach use on poles for drop wire connections maybe .

Supplier picked at random .
https://shop.screenlink.co.uk/grey-p...tion-enclosure

GH