Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do smoke alarms become more sensitive with age?

My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 October 2018 20:44:13 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.

you didn't tell us which type of alarm they are. But generally no, they don't get touchy

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't know what types but will check.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well if anything I've found quite the opposite. I think the ones based on a
radioactive isotope lose sensitivity, but not other types. I do not know
whether a component in the circuit could drift and make the threshold lower.
I guess its possible. Mine has always gone off if I cremate the toast a bit
too much, but the main variable seems to be draught, ie, if there is one
past the alarm to an open window, for example, then its more likely to go
off.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a
shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a
problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find
that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc
but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.

These are both scenarios which will trigger both radioactive and optical
smoke detectors.

You generally wouldn't fit one of these in a kitchen, but you would fit
a temperature triggered alarm, either an absolute temperature trigger
or a rate of temperature rise alarm.

For the shower, this means steam is getting out into the hall. Is there
an extractor fan in the shower room and does it work? Excess moisture
getting out into the rest of the house on a regular basis might have
other effects too, such as mold forming in cold spots.

Also for the kitchen, is there an extractor hood over the hob, and does
it work? When were the filters last cleaned or changed? A functioning
cooker hood will reduce the amount of air-borne fat when frying, which
will reduce chance of smoke detector going off and reduce the grease
which forms on all surfaces/decorations.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2018 09:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
[...]

My smoke alarms have always behaved like this.

Too much fat smoke or too much steam set em off

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 October 2018 20:44:13 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.

You normally have differnt type of alarms for the kitchen.
A friend who lives in rented accomedation last week had someone come round to inspect rhey place on taking one of teh alarms down the inspector said it was "contaminated", he put it back on the cieling and then used a device to test it and it appeared it functioned OK so it was left there and the inspectors left.

You can always ask the fire brigade, soemtime they install them for free too but I;m not sure who for or hw 'free' it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 09:57:47 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:

My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.

These are both scenarios which will trigger both radioactive and optical
smoke detectors.

You generally wouldn't fit one of these in a kitchen, but you would fit
a temperature triggered alarm, either an absolute temperature trigger
or a rate of temperature rise alarm.

yes, so they're probably battery powered & thus probably ioninsation ones. In which case they're very touchy, and the solution is to move them a bit further away from the smoke/steam until they no longer false alarm. This info was on the wiki before it got deleted.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb writes:

[...]

The OP said "mains"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 12:42:19 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

the solution is to move them a bit further away from the smoke/steam
until they no longer false alarm. This info was on the wiki before it
got deleted.

Still seems to get a mention

"Optical smoke detectors [...] may give a false alarm if exposed to
steam and should not be located close to poorly ventilated bathroooms"

so that's not mentioning it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must. My
old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob without turning it
completely off resulting in almost a fire.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

My
old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob without turning it
completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm ?

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than smoke.

My
old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob without turning it
completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm ?

What is your issue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:48:57 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than smoke.

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector in teh kitchen rather than a smoke detector.

My
old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob without turning it
completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm ?

What is your issue?

What is the problem of granny putting a tea cosy on the hob ?
Surely that is what needs avoiding rather than waiting for the cosy to catch fire and produce smoke so it triggers a smoke detector.
If this happened every week wouldn;t it be better finding another solution ?

But don't forget that where you place them is important too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.
All thats needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket science.

My old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob
without turning it completely off resulting in almost a fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than smoke.

Better to have an easily cancellable alarm in the kitchen IMO.

My
old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob without turning
it
completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm ?

What is your issue?

He's just playing silly buggers, as usual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:48:57 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than
smoke.

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector
in teh kitchen rather than a smoke detector.

Better to have both and easily cancellable.

My old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob
without turning it completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm ?

What is your issue?

What is the problem of granny putting a tea cosy on the hob ?

It can end up burning the house down.

Surely that is what needs avoiding

Easier said than done.

rather than waiting for the cosy to catch fire and
produce smoke so it triggers a smoke detector.
If this happened every week

Unlikely that she'd forget to turn the hob off that often.

wouldn;t it be better finding another solution ?

Trouble is that there isnt one. Not even feasible to
make her use an electric kettle instead of the hob
to make the tea etc.

But don't forget that where you place them is important too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 14:50:36 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.

yes that's the problem who wants the alarm to go off everytime someone has toast ?

All thats needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket science.

So why isnl;t it done, most alarms get 'turned off' by waving a newspaper underneath them for a few mins and the problem with an off switch is that it can be left off, do yuo kn ow why fire alarms tend not to have on/off switches ?
Think about it, I've never seen one you just insert the battery and it works.

My old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob
without turning it completely off resulting in almost a fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 15:00:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:48:57 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than
smoke.

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector
in teh kitchen rather than a smoke detector.

Better to have both and easily cancellable.

So show me them .

My old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob
without turning it completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm ?

What is your issue?

What is the problem of granny putting a tea cosy on the hob ?

It can end up burning the house down.

So train her not to put a tea cosy where it shouldn't go.

A fire alarm will NOT stop the house burning down.

Surely that is what needs avoiding

Easier said than done.

rather than waiting for the cosy to catch fire and
produce smoke so it triggers a smoke detector.
If this happened every week

Unlikely that she'd forget to turn the hob off that often.

What makes yuo think that, the hob could eb a place where she has always
but the tea cosy.

wouldn;t it be better finding another solution ?

Trouble is that there isnt one.

Therree is if yuo think about it.

Not even feasible to
make her use an electric kettle instead of the hob
to make the tea etc.

why not.

But don't forget that where you place them is important too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 01:00:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector
in teh kitchen rather than a smoke detector.

Better to have both and easily cancellable.

Best would be to find something that will make you senile blabbermouth shut
up for good!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 00:50:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.
All that¢s needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket science.

Certainly a lot easier than to make you stop trolling, senile Ozzie troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 00:52:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

What is your issue?

He's just playing silly buggers, as usual.

Contrary to you playing the pontificating troll on these groups?

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Rednadnerb writes:
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.
I'm busy reading past posts on smoke alarm problems/different types etc but thought that I would post this in the meantime, maybe save some time.
Thanks in advance.

These are both scenarios which will trigger both radioactive and optical
smoke detectors.

The optical is more likely to be triggered by steam the ionisation is
more likely to be triggered by burning food.

And as we are for once on subject, I ought to tell you that Aico,
probably the UK best selling range, are going to stop making ionization
smoke detectors next year.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/10/2018 20:44, Rednadnerb wrote:
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things.
The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old, this hasn't been a problem before.
She is the sensible type but I don't want to replace them only to find that the problem still exists.

Much as you say that she is the sensible type if this is a problem that
only started when she moved in then it is almost certainly user error.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was there to have a look today and apologies to all, I got it completely wrong.
There is only one smoke alarm, it is mains and ionisation and is in the hallway outside the bathroom. It is 9 years since manufacture and due to be replaced next year.
My tenant has been there for 2 years and said that this has only started happening in the last couple of weeks. The alarm goes off when she has a shower with the bathroom door closed and the windows open (could cause a draft I suppose) but stranger still is the fact that the alarm is a long way from the kitchen but is being set off by frying. (There is an extractor hood and I assume she uses it).
My conclusion is that this smoke alarm is hyper sensitive, just suprised that no one else has come across this.
Thanks for your contributions though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/10/2018 20:04, Rednadnerb wrote:
I was there to have a look today and apologies to all, I got it completely wrong.
There is only one smoke alarm, it is mains and ionisation and is in the hallway outside the bathroom. It is 9 years since manufacture and due to be replaced next year.
My tenant has been there for 2 years and said that this has only started happening in the last couple of weeks. The alarm goes off when she has a shower with the bathroom door closed and the windows open (could cause a draft I suppose) but stranger still is the fact that the alarm is a long way from the kitchen but is being set off by frying. (There is an extractor hood and I assume she uses it).
My conclusion is that this smoke alarm is hyper sensitive, just suprised that no one else has come across this.
Thanks for your contributions though.

Probably dust build up. That causes ionisation detectors to become more
sensitive/false trigger.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 06:28:33 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:48:57 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a
must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than
smoke.

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector in teh kitchen rather
than a smoke detector.

Indeed. I have a heat rise detector in ours.

Mix of ionisation and optical for the other five.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 22:46:45 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 06:28:33 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:48:57 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a
must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than
smoke.

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector in teh kitchen rather
than a smoke detector.

Indeed. I have a heat rise detector in ours.

Heat & rate of rise detectors alert much later than ionisation & optical. Ionisation & optical detect fires before they begin but are prone to false alarms. If you position the latter correctly they don't false alarm - that's the best option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.

yes that's the problem who wants the alarm
to go off everytime someone has toast ?

It doesnt, ONLY when the toast is BURNT, stupid.

All thats needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket science.

So why isnl;t it done,

Doesnt happen often enough for most to be prepared
to pay more for an alarm which is easy to reset.

most alarms get 'turned off' by waving a
newspaper underneath them for a few mins

****ing sight more convenient to be able
to do with with a remote or the phone.

and the problem with an off switch is that it can be left off,

I was talking about CANCELLING the alarm, not turning it off.

do yuo kn ow why fire alarms tend not to have on/off switches ?

No one was taking about on/off switches, ****wit.

Not with the mains powered ones, ****wit.

My old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob
without turning it completely off resulting in almost a fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What makes sense is irrelevant to what is buyable currently, ****wit.

?

What is your issue?

What is the problem of granny putting a tea cosy on the hob ?

It can end up burning the house down.

So train her not to put a tea cosy where it shouldn't go.

Easier said than done with those with dementia, stupid.

A fire alarm will NOT stop the house burning down.

Corse it can when it makes it obvious to others in
the house that the silly cow has just done it again
and stops the cosy from setting fire to the house.

Surely that is what needs avoiding

Easier said than done.

rather than waiting for the cosy to catch fire and
produce smoke so it triggers a smoke detector.
If this happened every week

Unlikely that she'd forget to turn the hob off that often.

What makes yuo think that,

That sort of forgetfulness doesnt
happen every time they make a cuppa.

the hob could eb a place where she
has always but the tea cosy.

Yes, but she normally would turn the hob
off when taking the kettle off it, ****wit.

wouldn;t it be better finding another solution ?

Trouble is that there isnt one.

Therree is if yuo think about it.

Wrong, as always.

Not even feasible to make her use an electric
kettle instead of the hob to make the tea etc.

why not.

Because the only way to do that would be to
physically remove the kettle that goes on the
hob and even if that is done, she'd just buy
another next time she goes shopping, stupid.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of why you only ever get to clean the dunnys.

But don't forget that where you place them is important too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:28 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 19 October 2018 15:00:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:48:57 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/10/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:29:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a
must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Usually this would be one with some temperature trigger rather than
smoke.

So wouldn't it be better to have a heat detector
in teh kitchen rather than a smoke detector.

Better to have both and easily cancellable.

So show me them .

What makes sense is irrelevant to what is buyable currently, ****wit.

Seems like it in your world.

My old granny used to regularly put her tea cosy on the hob
without turning it completely off resulting in almost a fire.

So it would almost create smoke would almost smoke trigger the alarm
?

What is your issue?

What is the problem of granny putting a tea cosy on the hob ?

It can end up burning the house down.

So train her not to put a tea cosy where it shouldn't go.

Easier said than done with those with dementia, stupid.

So you think the only problem in a hosue with someone with dementia is where they put the tea cosy ?

A fire alarm will NOT stop the house burning down.

Corse it can when it makes it obvious to others

what others ?

in
the house that the silly cow has just done it again
and stops the cosy from setting fire to the house.

Fire alarms don't stop cosys catching fire.

Unlikely that she'd forget to turn the hob off that often.

What makes yuo think that,

That sort of forgetfulness doesnt
happen every time they make a cuppa.

How many times does it have to happen ?

the hob could eb a place where she
has always but the tea cosy.

Yes, but she normally would turn the hob
off when taking the kettle off it, ****wit.

"normally" peolple don't set fire to theri own residence.

wouldn;t it be better finding another solution ?

Trouble is that there isnt one.

Therree is if yuo think about it.

Wrong, as always.

what's wrong with using an electric kettle one that deosn't need a gas flame or hot hob ? It also can switch itself off as an extra advantage.

Not even feasible to make her use an electric
kettle instead of the hob to make the tea etc.

why not.

Because the only way to do that would be to
physically remove the kettle that goes on the
hob and even if that is done, she'd just buy
another next time she goes shopping, stupid.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of why you only ever get to clean the dunnys.

I'm begining to think this old person that can't use any oither kettle is actually you.

But don't forget that where you place them is important too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a
must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.

yes that's the problem who wants the alarm to go off everytime
someone has toast ?

It doesn‘t, ONLY when the toast is BURNT, stupid.

Toast is just burnt bread. Which is why it's not the best idea to have a
SMOKE detector in a kitchen, especailly if yuo have a lot of toast, next
door seems to have that problem, they also have a problem with their
guttering and they ignore that too it seems.

Our smoke detector is in teh corridor immediately outside tehn kitchen, so
it doesn't notice burned toast unless the door is open,

All that‘s needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket
science.

So why isnl;t it done,

Doesn‘t happen often enough for most to be prepared to pay more for an
alarm which is easy to reset.

There''s enough comedy sketches that show peole waving newspapers and the
loike at fore alarms that have wrongly gone off, you'd have though they
could have a diable button you could press that disables the alarm for
say 2 mins after a press, not rocket science, just logical thought.

1. It would add to the cost
2. Where did they put the remote?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 October 2018 11:34:10 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.

yes that's the problem who wants the alarm
to go off everytime someone has toast ?

It doesnt, ONLY when the toast is BURNT, stupid.

Toast is just burnt bread. Which is why it's not the best idea to have a SMOKE detector in a kitchen, especailly if yuo have a lot of toast, next door

I have one, it doesn't false alarm because it's positioned correctly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 11:34, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Doesnt happen often enough for most to be prepared
to pay more for an alarm which is easy to reset.

There''s enough comedy sketches that show peole waving newspapers and the loike at fore alarms that have wrongly gone off, you'd have though they could have a diable button you could press that disables the alarm for say 2 mins after a press, not rocket science, just logical thought.

Lots of them do. With mine, you just press a button (the same one you
use to test it) and it is disabled for 10 minutes.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 October 2018 12:10:00 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Me too.

All that€˜s needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket
science.

So why isnl;t it done,

Doesn€˜t happen often enough for most to be prepared to pay more for an
alarm which is easy to reset.

There''s enough comedy sketches that show peole waving newspapers and the
loike at fore alarms that have wrongly gone off, you'd have though they
could have a diable button you could press that disables the alarm for
say 2 mins after a press, not rocket science, just logical thought.

1. It would add to the cost

I'd pay the difference just like I do with other things.

2. Where did they put the remote?

That's why I wouldn't suggest a remote for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 October 2018 13:13:56 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 22 October 2018 11:34:10 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.

yes that's the problem who wants the alarm
to go off everytime someone has toast ?

It doesnt, ONLY when the toast is BURNT, stupid.

Toast is just burnt bread. Which is why it's not the best idea to have a SMOKE detector in a kitchen, especailly if yuo have a lot of toast, next door

I have one, it doesn't false alarm because it's positioned correctly.

NT

As long as yuo know it is, I guess mine is positioned correctly because it doesn't go off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 October 2018 13:41:14 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 22/10/2018 11:34, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Doesnt happen often enough for most to be prepared
to pay more for an alarm which is easy to reset.

There''s enough comedy sketches that show peole waving newspapers and the loike at fore alarms that have wrongly gone off, you'd have though they could have a diable button you could press that disables the alarm for say 2 mins after a press, not rocket science, just logical thought.

Lots of them do. With mine, you just press a button (the same one you
use to test it) and it is disabled for 10 minutes.

--
Max Demian

You don't happen to have a link for that type do you....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 00:42:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

No I'd say a smoke alarm that can be triggered by a kitchen is a
must.

But triggered by what in the kitchen ?

Something burning, even if burning the toast is going to set it off.

yes that's the problem who wants the alarm
to go off everytime someone has toast ?

It doesnt, ONLY when the toast is BURNT, stupid.

Toast is just burnt bread.

Not burnt enough to trigger an alarm, normally, stupid.

And a problem with some ****wit next door, which they can't ignore.

All thats needed is an easy way to cancel the alarm, not rocket
science.

So why isnl;t it done,

Doesnt happen often enough for most to be prepared
to pay more for an alarm which is easy to reset.

There''s enough comedy sketches that show peole waving
newspapers and the loike at fore alarms that have wrongly
gone off, you'd have though they could have a diable button
you could press that disables the alarm for say 2 mins after a
press, not rocket science, just logical thought.

Given where they are located, makes more sense to
have a remote or to be able to use the phone, stupid.

most alarms get 'turned off' by waving a
newspaper underneath them for a few mins

****ing sight more convenient to be able
to do with with a remote or the phone.

So why won;t people pay the extra for such things,

Because its much more convenient than playing
silly buggers with a newspaper, stupid. Most havent
bought a physical newspaper in decades, stupid.

well if they won't pay a few quid for a manual switch I
doubt they'd pay much more for a remote control version,

How odd that they do with the TV and DVD player etc.

which they won't be able to find when needed,

How odd that they do with the TV and DVD player etc.

and I don;t think a remote off switch
would be a good idea anyway.

Yep, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

And it doesnt matter what some
terminal ****wit 'thinks' anyway.

and the problem with an off switch is that it can be left off,

I was talking about CANCELLING the alarm, not turning it off.

I'd opt for a temporary off switch on the device.

Yes, you are that terminal a ****wit.

Think about it, I've never seen one you
just insert the battery and it works.

Not with the mains powered ones, ****wit.

I don't need a mains powered one.

You have always been, and always will be,
completely and utterly irrelevant. What
you might or might not need in spades.

Plenty of renters etc have no choice in the matter.