Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Builders' Rates - Take 2 ...

Following on from my post of a couple of weeks ago, I finally got the
go-ahead from the missus to engage Big Steve (who I've known for many
years) and his pal Ed to come and do the back door brick-up and inside
make good job, and it looks like the estimates from the good folk on
here were all just about on the money - figuratively and literally.

They turned up at 8 am yesterday, and while Steve got going on taking
the frame out, Ed got busy Kangoling bricks out for the toothing in.
That actually took quite a long time up until almost lunchtime in fact,
but not a trace of damage to any other bricks. In the meantime, Steve
took a couple of boards out of the floor inside so he could start the
blockwork from the concrete under the floor. By the close of play, the
blockwork inside was complete, and a piece of plasterboard was dotted
and dabbed on. The outside brickwork was 5 courses from the top. Back at
8 am today, Ed carried on with the brickwork while Steve got on with an
extra little job that involved Drilling a 1" hole from the airing
cupboard into a piece of pitched roof where there is no access to the
void, and then lifting a couple of tiles to get in and feeding a piece
of 1" flexible trunking into the drilled hole at the top, and through
the ceiling below. By the time that was all finished, Ed had just about
finished the brickwork outside, so he came in to do the plaster skim.
Steve stayed outside and Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared
all up.

By 1 pm all finished, and I have to say a really superb job outside and
in. The bricks are a really good match and it's hard to see at a quick
glance even now where the job was done. When they've weathered down a
bit, I think they will be barely visible.

So total time - about three man days exactly as everyone predicted, and
total cost £785 so well done all with your predictions !

Arfa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is indeed nice to hear of outcomes on here. All too often advice is given
and we never hear the outcome.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared all up.

Kangol = seatbelts, clothes (and tents?)
Kango = GBFO breakers

a really superb job outside and in. The bricks are a really good
match and it's hard to see at a quick glance even now where the job
was done.

Sounds good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2018 07:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared all up.

Kangol = seatbelts, clothes (and tents?)
Kango = GBFO breakers

a really superb job outside and in. The bricks are a really good
match and it's hard to see at a quick glance even now where the job
was done.

Sounds good.

Ja'know, I don't know why I said that ! Yes, Kango'd. In my defence,
it's been a busy few days and it was late when I posted. And I'm getting
old , and ... and ... ;-)

Arfa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:12:16 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared all up.

Kangol = seatbelts, clothes (and tents?)

And berets, as I remember!

Kango = GBFO breakers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared all up.

Kangol = seatbelts, clothes (and tents?)
Kango = GBFO breakers

Ja'know, I don't know why I said that ! Yes, Kango'd. In my defence,
it's been a busy few days and it was late when I posted. And I'm getting
old , and ... and ... ;-)

Arfa

You should know the drill on here by now, only make a bit of a mistake and
it gets chucked right back at you.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:09:34 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

It is indeed nice to hear of outcomes on here. All too often advice is
given and we never hear the outcome.
Brian

At least Arfa got *some* feedback (even if Andy's follow up lacked a
smiley to take the sting out of his comment re Kangol versus Kango :-)
compounded by Marland's response likewise suffering the lack of a smiley).

It's not just uk.diy that's so afflicted by the lack of 'feedback on the
final outcome' postings. It's even worse in the case of
sci.electronics.design and uk.comp.homebuilt where such 'feedback' posts
tend to be greeted by a deafening silence as I've just experienced in
recent weeks - the latest being a thread in uch on advice sought for a
decent HDD supplier where I'd reported back on my positive experience of
purchasing a 10TB WD RED NAS drive from Ebuyer rather than use an Amazon
trader for the sake of a 0.1% saving (an extra 32 pence premium to avoid
dealing with Amazon).

I'd had at best, only a passing interest in Arfur's original post but
did appreciate the effort he'd made in providing feedback and 'closure'
for those who *had* 'given a ****' and replied to his original post in
the first place.

Don't mind me. I'm only taking the opportunity to snipe at the uch and
(in particular) the sed groups of which quite a few of their members also
post here. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:
It's not just uk.diy that's so afflicted by the lack of 'feedback on the
final outcome' postings. It's even worse in the case of
sci.electronics.design and uk.comp.homebuilt where such 'feedback' posts
tend to be greeted by a deafening silence as I've just experienced in
recent weeks - the latest being a thread in uch on advice sought for a
decent HDD supplier where I'd reported back on my positive experience of
purchasing a 10TB WD RED NAS drive from Ebuyer rather than use an Amazon
trader for the sake of a 0.1% saving (an extra 32 pence premium to avoid
dealing with Amazon).

I'm not sure what you'd expect... you asked if Ebuyer was a sensible place
to buy something. We said it was. You bought the thing. It arrived.
It wasn't broken. I'm not sure what else there is to say at this point.

Had they ripped you off I'm sure the conversation would have been much more
interesting.

Theo
(who keeps getting pestered by ebay sellers to leave feedback for transactions which
boil down to 'did the thing they were contractually obliged to do' and
wondering why the only option for that is 5 stars)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

even if Andy's follow up lacked a
smiley to take the sting out of his comment

There was no sting in it, I did have a smiley initially, but took it out
as I don't like the juxtaposition of them with brackets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:14:17 +0100, Theo wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:
It's not just uk.diy that's so afflicted by the lack of 'feedback on
the
final outcome' postings. It's even worse in the case of
sci.electronics.design and uk.comp.homebuilt where such 'feedback'
posts tend to be greeted by a deafening silence as I've just
experienced in recent weeks - the latest being a thread in uch on
advice sought for a decent HDD supplier where I'd reported back on my
positive experience of purchasing a 10TB WD RED NAS drive from Ebuyer
rather than use an Amazon trader for the sake of a 0.1% saving (an
extra 32 pence premium to avoid dealing with Amazon).

I'm not sure what you'd expect... you asked if Ebuyer was a sensible
place to buy something. We said it was. You bought the thing. It
arrived.
It wasn't broken. I'm not sure what else there is to say at this point.

Fair enough but a brief "Thanks for letting us know that Ebuyer are
still worthy of our endorsement." or some such would have been a nice
touch. :-)

Sorry, that wasn't a good example and worse still (in hindsight), it
just makes me seem "needy". I guess you lot were just too jaded about
Ebuyer's reliability as an e-tailer to offer any further comment.

Had they ripped you off I'm sure the conversation would have been much
more interesting.

Indeed it would have been! There's nothing like a bit of schadenfreude
to brighten up one's day! :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:18:11 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

even if Andy's follow up lacked a smiley to take the sting out of his
comment

There was no sting in it, I did have a smiley initially, but took it out
as I don't like the juxtaposition of them with brackets.

I know exactly what you mean. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
(who keeps getting pestered by ebay sellers to leave feedback for transactions which
boil down to 'did the thing they were contractually obliged to do' and
wondering why the only option for that is 5 stars)

Quite. It suggests 5 out of 5 is the norm. So why 4 stars worth of varying
poor service - but not a way of praising service beyond what you'd expect?

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared all up.

Kangol = seatbelts, clothes (and tents?)
Kango = GBFO breakers

Ja'know, I don't know why I said that ! Yes, Kango'd. In my defence,
it's been a busy few days and it was late when I posted. And I'm getting
old , and ... and ... ;-)

Arfa

You should know the drill on here by now, only make a bit of a mistake and
it gets chucked right back at you.

GH

Well yes, I suppose. I've been posting on here and
sci.electronics.repair for enough years - just not recently since my isp
dropped their own usenet servers and then the mob that they had
contracted to handle it stopped updating properly ...

There's always been some good folk on both groups, though (as well as
some total arseholes) and you can usually be sure of getting at least a
few sensible replies. Barbed comments are par for the course if you make
a mistake as you say, but I'm far too long in the tooth in this game to
get upset about them. The Kango / Kangol comment was quite justified,
and I replied in good humour if not a degree of embarrassment ...

A smiley would have been nice though ... ;-)

Arfa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2018 21:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Johnny B Good wrote:

even if Andy's follow up lacked a
smiley to take the sting out of his comment

There was no sting in it, I did have a smiley initially, but took it out
as I don't like the juxtaposition of them with brackets.

I find some people (not you obviously ;-) get upset when I use a smiley
and have it do dual service as a closing parenthesis as well!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

I quite like the occasional feedback post (or better still, a here is
how it turned out wiki article)... at least you get the feeling that way
that at least some practical doing/making/diying/building is going on
somewhere!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 October 2018 04:25:22 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

I quite like the occasional feedback post (or better still, a here is
how it turned out wiki article)... at least you get the feeling that way
that at least some practical doing/making/diying/building is going on
somewhere!

Lots of us have been doing plenty, but cba to put it on the wiki

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

even if Andy's follow up lacked a
smiley to take the sting out of his comment

There was no sting in it, I did have a smiley initially, but took it out
as I don't like the juxtaposition of them with brackets.

I find some people (not you obviously ;-) get upset when I use a smiley
and have it do dual service as a closing parenthesis as well!

That's why different kinds of bracket are available.

--

Roger Hayter

Take a break, take a Ukulele! Terry[_5_] UK diy 4 March 16th 08 06:10 PM
Help on Looser-Take-All / Winner-Take-All circuit Etantonio Electronics 3 March 21st 05 07:19 AM
Help on Looser-Take-All / Winner-Take-All circuit Etantonio Electronics Repair 0 March 15th 05 03:57 PM
Tap flow rates fonzy UK diy 3 December 16th 04 09:11 AM
Another variation on hourly rates UK diy 8 August 15th 03 01:17 AM