Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bloody washing machine ....

feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Element?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:24:36 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

I had the same but I bought a new washing machine as the washing
machine was ancient by then. I also installed RCBOs to protect the
rest of the circuitry from tripping.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:37:58 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Tim+
wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

+1

Take the motor off and outside and put an airline on it. Might be best
to wear a mask ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns pretended :
Element?

I agree, first port of call - element. Unplug/ disconnect/ isolate the
element and see if it still trips. It might not be easy to replace
though, if it is that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

+1

Take the motor off and outside and put an airline on it. Might be best
to wear a mask ...

The neighbours will probably guess it's him, but if he does it elsewhere
+1 to the mask.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 18:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Element?

or motor

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 18:24:40 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Almost any electrical part. Disconnect what's convenient & insulation test em. Motor, element, filter, pump, etc

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Usually the water heater, but can be other stuff with
a washing machine like the water solenoids etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 06:50:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Usually the water heater, but can be other stuff with
a washing machine like the water solenoids etc.

IOW, you can't tell, senile wisenheimer! Good we've cleared that up!

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 18:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns pretended :
Element?

I agree, first port of call - element. Unplug/ disconnect/ isolate* the
element and see if it still trips. It might not be easy to replace
though, if it is that.

+1. They used to be not too bad to replace.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the caravan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

didn't know that could cause the RCD to trip ....I'll get the air gun and
compressor out......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 08:38:18 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

didn't know that could cause the RCD to trip ....I'll get the air gun and
compressor out......

Carbon is conductive and if enough of it (in powder form) gets between
anything that is live (or neutral in some cases) and earth it can trip
the RCD, especially when damp.

To test it was the case with ours we simply disconnected the motor
(plug and socket on the loom) and turned it on, no trip.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

+1

Take the motor off and outside and put an airline on it. Might be best
to wear a mask ...

The neighbours will probably guess it's him, but if he does it elsewhere
+1 to the mask.

;-)

Joking aside though, I'm not sure if there would be any rules that
might govern if a d-i-yer could blow something like that out into the
atmosphere, without some sort of dust capture (specifically for a 'one
off' etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
......The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/10/2018 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
......The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Surely, lots of bits start up when you close the door ...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:07:01 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
.....The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Unlikely to be the interlock itself but more that it then enables
power to other things, like the motor. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:07:01 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
.....The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Unlikely to be the interlock itself but more that it then enables
power to other things, like the motor. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

no the bi-metal heating element has melted burning the unit and causing a
short...ordered a new one...quietly confident that it will be it fixed when
I get itand fit it.....let you know.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
.....The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Hang on - what have you checked the resistance with? A simple multimeter
most likely wont show a short at 240v.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
.....The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Hang on - what have you checked the resistance with? A simple multimeter
most likely wont show a short at 240v.

yes did that and it was OK ...it is the bimetal strip in the door interlock
that has melted causing a short ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2018 17:52, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
.....The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Hang on - what have you checked the resistance with? A simple multimeter
most likely wont show a short at 240v.

Mine old one showed a 3K L/E resistance when it started tripping stuff -
I got the fault traced to the motor armature - I dismantled the whole
motor to see that.

My friends cooker showed similar when THAT started tripping stuff on the
grill - I replaced both elements..

In general earth leakage tends not to be non linear. It tends to be
Ohmic in my experience and a straight multimeter normally shows it

I'd put my money on a faulty drum or pump motor if the element checksd
out. Ty eelectrinics isn't noramally equipped with a path to earth.

Another possibility is a suppression filter with a leaky HV capacitor

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any filter capacitors or some tracking on a pcb somewhere?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:47:28 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Unlikely to be the interlock itself but more that it then enables
power to other things, like the motor. ;-)

no the bi-metal heating element has melted burning the unit and causing a
short...

Oooerr!

ordered a new one...quietly confident that it will be it fixed when
I get itand fit it.....

Agreed.

let you know.....

Do. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:47:28 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Unlikely to be the interlock itself but more that it then enables
power to other things, like the motor. ;-)

no the bi-metal heating element has melted burning the unit and causing a
short...

Oooerr!

ordered a new one...quietly confident that it will be it fixed when
I get itand fit it.....

Agreed.

let you know.....

Do. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

will do...I had no idea so many people would be interested in repairing
washing machines.....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:07:01 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the
caravan ........

that is the element disconnected...not much carbon dust around ...here
goes...switching off the desktop first.....

bang!...no not the element and just checked the resistance and it is OK
.....The machine blows the RCD when I close the door ...must be the
interlock...here goes .....

Unlikely to be the interlock itself but more that it then enables
power to other things, like the motor. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

no the bi-metal heating element has melted burning the unit and causing a
short...ordered a new one...quietly confident that it will be it fixed
when I get itand fit it.....let you know.....

feck feck feck feck.....the new interlock doesn't solve the problem still
tripping the RCDs....I can see a new machine on the horizon ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 October 2018 16:07:38 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

no the bi-metal heating element has melted burning the unit and causing a
short...ordered a new one...quietly confident that it will be it fixed
when I get itand fit it.....let you know.....

feck feck feck feck.....the new interlock doesn't solve the problem still
tripping the RCDs....I can see a new machine on the horizon ....

so you've got at least a £5 multimeter... which bit conducts to case/earth?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 18:24:40 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

Our Hotpoint did the same thing; it turned out to be that the insulation on a wire inside the casing had chafed through and occasionally touched the casing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 17:24:34 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip
feck feck feck feck.....the new interlock doesn't solve the problem still
tripping the RCDs....I can see a new machine on the horizon ....

£10 wasted...

Just OOI, have you tried disconnecting the motor?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:09:26 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

will do...I had no idea so many people would be interested in repairing
washing machines.....tee hee

This is (supposed to be) a d-i-y group you know? ;-)

We were given a 13 month old Zanussi on Freecycle because it's main
drum bearings had failed and they were in a sealed plastic tub (making
it uneconomic to repair).

We repaired it (for little cost) and it only lasted 7 times longer
than it had from the factory? ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

OK thanks all....did two things this morning and it is working fine
now.....first I blew out the motor with the brushes removed and cleaned the
commutator? with my big air comp and gun...what a mess!.....second I removed
the burnt connecter to the interlock and soldered the wires directly to the
new interlock live neutral and common....plugged in and off it went......£10
only slightly wasted...but no new machine to have to buy ....happy tight
scotsman thanks you all...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:43:42 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

OK thanks all....did two things this morning and it is working fine
now.....first I blew out the motor with the brushes removed and cleaned the
commutator? with my big air comp and gun...what a mess!.....

cough So it was the carbon from 2+ sets of brushes in there causing
all the trouble after all eh? ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:43:42 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

OK thanks all....did two things this morning and it is working fine
now.....first I blew out the motor with the brushes removed and cleaned
the
commutator? with my big air comp and gun...what a mess!.....

cough So it was the carbon from 2+ sets of brushes in there causing
all the trouble after all eh? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

when the original brushes went it was a distress purchase localy and they
were pattern parts and cost cost £20.....I then got a genuine set off the
web for £10 for the next time...and guess what the fakes wore down with one
year, one gone completely ..... so that was probably where all the carbon
came from....The new set worked fine until all the RCD blowing .......