Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bloody washing machine ....

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 08:38:18 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more
expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a
couple
of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon
dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good
clean...

didn't know that could cause the RCD to trip ....I'll get the air gun and
compressor out......

Carbon is conductive and if enough of it (in powder form) gets between
anything that is live (or neutral in some cases) and earth it can trip
the RCD, especially when damp.

To test it was the case with ours we simply disconnected the motor
(plug and socket on the loom) and turned it on, no trip.

Cheers, T i m

did that and it stopped bloWing the RCD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:43:42 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

OK thanks all....did two things this morning and it is working fine
now.....first I blew out the motor with the brushes removed and cleaned
the
commutator? with my big air comp and gun...what a mess!.....

cough So it was the carbon from 2+ sets of brushes in there causing
all the trouble after all eh? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

when the original brushes went it was a distress purchase localy and they
were pattern parts and cost cost £20.....I then got a genuine set off the
web for £10 for the next time...and guess what the fakes wore down with
one year, one gone completely ..... so that was probably where all the
carbon came from....The new set worked fine until all the RCD blowing

what God really hated was a smart arse ...tee hee...thanks again and 73's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:45:37 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip
cough So it was the carbon from 2+ sets of brushes in there causing
all the trouble after all eh? ;-)

when the original brushes went it was a distress purchase localy and they
were pattern parts and cost cost £20.....I then got a genuine set off the
web for £10 for the next time...and guess what the fakes wore down with
one year, one gone completely ..... so that was probably where all the
carbon came from....The new set worked fine until all the RCD blowing

what God really hated was a smart arse ...tee hee...thanks again and 73's

Not smart, in this case, 'experienced' as I had similar RCD tripping
thing with the WM and just before I looked for a replacement motor or
machine, proven by just unplugging the motor from the loom and turning
the machine on.

A blow though with my mates airline and it was good till the main
bearings eventually failed.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:45:37 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip
[...]

yes I disconnected the motor and it was fine so a blow job was on the cards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 15:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:45:37 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip
[...]

Very magnanimous of Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:19:24 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

yes I disconnected the motor and it was fine so a blow job was on the
cards

Very magnanimous of Tim.

bona

I don't believe I was the only one who suggested carbon buildup in the
motor, following your 'used 2 sets of brushes' comment.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:19:24 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

yes I disconnected the motor and it was fine so a blow job was on the
cards

Very magnanimous of Tim.

bona

I don't believe I was the only one who suggested carbon buildup in the
motor, following your 'used 2 sets of brushes' comment.

Cheers, T i m

true......what did we do without the internet?...I have fixed loads of
things by searching a problem.....cars...motorbikes...radios...but not
buildings because that was my profession....and now.washing machines