Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good product

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ... :
(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 14:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ... :
(

How does it do that? its a wired connection. Who uses short wave anyway?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike Wrote in message:
On 16/10/2018 14:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ... :
(

How does it do that? its a wired connection. Who uses short wave anyway?

They work by transmitting a HF signal along the mains cable, this
can lead to the heouse wiring radiating a HF signal that
interferes with other devices nearby.

It's a recognised issue, the BBC investigated it, a while back

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 14:39, John W. wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender.
Just plug them in, press a button on each, and they work.

Which model? How does your download speed compare with
an Ethernet connection direct to your router?

They are tp-link AV600 2 port

Download 14.5 mbps
Upload 1 mbps

Which as as quick as my wi-fi connection. I don't have a direct Ethernet
connection available since moving house and don't want to start running
cables as we have a major re-jig planned for next year when I retire,
hence buying these.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 14:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
On 16/10/2018 14:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ...
:
(

How does it do that? its a wired connection. Who uses short wave anyway?

Mike

me

The don't try short waving in my garden then.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What mains interference does it cause to a short wave radio?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do .
It actually does it over far greater an area. It usually starts just over
2Mhz and ends around 30 Mhz. There are notches for the ham radio bands but
not the shortwave broadcast bands or the short wave air bands or marine
bands for that matter.
They are one of those products that the enforcers now seem to turn a blind
eye to, but they inconvenience people who choose to listen to shrot waves as
their hobby and in fact increasingly to get information that is censored
from our internet feeds and local news services.
Brian

--
----- --

"Muddymike" wrote in message
On 16/10/2018 14:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ...
:
(

How does it do that? its a wired connection. Who uses short wave anyway?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
What mains interference does it cause to a short wave radio?
Brian

A buzzing racket ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT kit
be so simple.

Because some stuff like setting up your new smartphone
can't be done with just a simple button press. You have
to give it more information than that.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
On 16/10/2018 14:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit
be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ...
:
(

How does it do that? its a wired connection.

The wire acts as an antenna and radiates what
is transmitted between the two devices.

Who uses short wave anyway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

Have fun explaining why cat5 and cat6 arent. Neither is the phone cabling.

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ... :
(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 06:16:41 +1100, samchunk, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Because some stuff like setting up your new smartphone
can't be done with just a simple button press. You have
to give it more information than that.

More wise words from the resident senile wisenheimer! LOL

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 06:20:55 +1100, samchunk, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

How does it do that? its a wired connection.

The wire acts as an antenna and radiates what
is transmitted between the two devices.

Someone provided the answer already, senile cretin. Do you think an answer
only becomes valid when YOU reaffirm it? Are you some self-opinionated
smartassing asshole perhaps? BG

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 14:15, Muddymike wrote:
Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

I have a cheap TP-Link wifi extender which is similarly easy to use.

Wall wart size, rebroadcasts but also has an ethernet socket that I
connect to the hub in my office.

Never had much luck with the plug type myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

and wipes out the short wave for 40 yards just for your convenience ...
:
(

How does it do that? its a wired connection. Who uses short wave anyway?

Mike

me

The don't try short waving in my garden then.

That sounds like something that could get someone on the sex offenders
register.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:15:47 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

I zapped 2 sets of these within a relatively short time (probably
spikes from hair dryers, etc.) before changing to BT units, which have
been trouble-free (and much faster) for the last 2 years, touch wood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 06:38:54 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

Have fun explaining why cat5 and cat6 arent. Neither is the phone cabling.

That's because they use balanced conductors ("twisted pair") which
largely cancel any tendency to radiate and conversely have a high
immunity to common mode interference. Mains wiring is unbalanced and
thus does not have these advantages. Screening is the only option in
this case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Custos Custodum wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

Have fun explaining why cat5 and cat6 arent. Neither is the phone cabling.

That's because they use balanced conductors ("twisted pair")
which largely cancel any tendency to radiate and conversely
have a high immunity to common mode interference.

Yes, but that's the reason that they don't need to be screened.

And with the street phone cables, the main limitation is in fact
the the interference between pairs with adsl or vdsl on them.

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages. Screening is the only option in this case.

No its not. It works fine without screening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 17:06, Brian Gaff wrote:

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

If UTP CAT5e was meant for high speed data it would be... oh hang on a
moment ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2018 18:42, John W. wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

John W. wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender.
Just plug them in, press a button on each, and they work.

Which model? How does your download speed compare with
an Ethernet connection direct to your router?

They are tp-link AV600 2 port
Download 14.5 mbps
Upload 1 mbps

Which as as quick as my wi-fi connection. I don't have a direct Ethernet
connection available since moving house and don't want to start running
cables as we have a major re-jig planned for next year when I retire,
hence buying these.

OK, thanks. I'm new to this poweline stuff and learning.

TP Link (and others) do a range of products at differing speeds... The
oringinal devices worked at 14 mbps, then later ones moved to 85, then
200, then 300, 600, and now 1.2mbps. Note these are maximum figures -
longer more "difficult" runs (e.g. from one circuit to another) will get
lower throughputs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

I zapped 2 sets of these within a relatively short time (probably
spikes from hair dryers, etc.) before changing to BT units, which have
been trouble-free (and much faster) for the last 2 years, touch wood.

I've got a set by Netgear which work well enough but the receiver bit occasionally has to be reset; switching off and on again does the trick which makes me wonder (a) why it loses sync in the first place and (b) why it can't then renegotiate the connection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 01:39:58 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/10/2018 17:06, Brian Gaff wrote:

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

If UTP CAT5e was meant for high speed data it would be... oh hang on a
moment ;-)

19th edition will have a requirement for twisted pair T+E!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:53:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Have fun explaining why cat5 and cat6 arent. Neither is the phone cabling.

That's because they use balanced conductors ("twisted pair")
which largely cancel any tendency to radiate and conversely
have a high immunity to common mode interference.

Yes, but that's the reason that they don't need to be screened.

That's what he just said, you pathological auto-contradictor!

And with the street phone cables, the main limitation is in fact
the the interference between pairs with adsl or vdsl on them.

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages. Screening is the only option in this case.

No its not.

....and the pathological auto-contradictor "struck" again! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

I zapped 2 sets of these within a relatively short time (probably
spikes from hair dryers, etc.) before changing to BT units, which have
been trouble-free (and much faster) for the last 2 years, touch wood.

I've got a set by Netgear which work well enough but the receiver bit
occasionally has to be reset; switching off and on again does the trick

I got the same result with a Medion P85019 (MD 86977)

which makes me wonder (a) why it loses sync in the first
place and (b) why it can't then renegotiate the connection.

Just bad design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2018 08:47, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 01:39:58 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/10/2018 17:06, Brian Gaff wrote:

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

If UTP CAT5e was meant for high speed data it would be... oh hang on a
moment ;-)

19th edition will have a requirement for twisted pair T+E!

You get that when you pull cable off the side of a reel anyway IME ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 00:23:17 +0100, Custos Custodum wrote:

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages.

Is it? It may not be twisted but it may be balanced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 01:39:58 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/10/2018 17:06, Brian Gaff wrote:

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

If UTP CAT5e was meant for high speed data it would be... oh hang on a
moment ;-)

19th edition will have a requirement for twisted pair T+E!

And proper constant impedance junction boxes? With defined impedance
appliances and appropriate wideband transformers?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:16:24 +1100, samchunk, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

I've got a set by Netgear which work well enough but the receiver bit
occasionally has to be reset; switching off and on again does the trick

I got the same result with a Medion P85019 (MD 86977)

Nobody asked you, troll!

which makes me wonder (a) why it loses sync in the first
place and (b) why it can't then renegotiate the connection.

Just bad design.

Not as badly designed as your brain it seems, senile troll!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2018 10:55, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 00:23:17 +0100, Custos Custodum wrote:

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages.

Is it? It may not be twisted but it may be balanced.

Not really. Switch off at the socket, light switch etc and you
disconnect the live leaving loads of neutral wire waving around in the
ether.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bad product

Just bad design.

they are all bad design ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:53:53 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Custos Custodum wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

Have fun explaining why cat5 and cat6 arent. Neither is the phone cabling.

That's because they use balanced conductors ("twisted pair")
which largely cancel any tendency to radiate and conversely
have a high immunity to common mode interference.

Yes, but that's the reason that they don't need to be screened.

And with the street phone cables, the main limitation is in fact
the the interference between pairs with adsl or vdsl on them.

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages. Screening is the only option in this case.

No its not. It works fine without screening.

The screening would be there to contain the radiated interference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:55:00 +0100, mechanic
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 00:23:17 +0100, Custos Custodum wrote:

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages.

Is it? It may not be twisted but it may be balanced.

Not if the neutral wire is permanently connected to earth, as it
should be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 00:23:17 +0100, Custos Custodum wrote:

Mains wiring is unbalanced and thus does not have these
advantages.

Is it? It may not be twisted but it may be balanced.

Not if the neutral wire is permanently connected to earth, as it
should be.

it might be at earth potential for dc but not neceearity so for rf.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened.

Have fun explaining why cat5 and cat6 arent. Neither is the phone cabling.

That's because they use balanced conductors ("twisted pair") which
largely cancel any tendency to radiate and conversely have a high
immunity to common mode interference. Mains wiring is unbalanced and
thus does not have these advantages. Screening is the only option in
this case.

T & E is reasonable balanced except the earth is in the way! But thats
not the biggest deal . That is that to gop from one curcuit to another
menas passing through TWO MCBs that have, as a necessary part of teir
function two clils one in ceah. That menas a bloody great chokle exsist
ebtween two rings. That ****s up things so you need more power.

And of course ADSL over phone wires generates huge amounts of hash in
the MW/SW bands.

Leaving all that aside I have some TP link EOM **** but frankly whilst
its OK for one link, on te same ring, putting two or more devices on it
leads to crap reliablity and performance.

I am temporarily running a long ethernet cable now till I get back into
my proper (structred cable wired) house....

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just
plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT
kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

I zapped 2 sets of these within a relatively short time (probably
spikes from hair dryers, etc.) before changing to BT units, which have
been trouble-free (and much faster) for the last 2 years, touch wood.

I've got a set by Netgear which work well enough but the receiver bit occasionally has to be reset; switching off and on again does the trick which makes me wonder (a) why it loses sync in the first place and (b) why it can't then renegotiate the connection.

Totally **** firmware mostly.

I had - may even still have - a TPling ADSL router taht was sup[posed to
be able to do various firewally things.

It was in the manual, it was iun te admins creens, but ebery possible
combiantion of commands alwaytes resulted ion me needing to factory
reset it.

I concluded the software and the manual were 'aspirational' and no one
buys a TPlink to do complicated stuff with.

OTOH D-Link and my current little Cisco and my late and much beloved
Billion all do/did eactly what they said they would.

(D-link and the Billion both died from lightning. The Ciscos PSU died
from lighhning too, but a netgear one seems to work OK. I've seen
Netgears die from lightning on a regular basis, and thats why I have a
netgear PSU... )

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman