Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good Harbor Freight product IMHO

I know you have to be very carful buying from Harbor Freight and much
of their stuff is pretty bad. I once had one of their quick squeeze
clamps crumble in my hand the first time I used it so I threw the
others out. However, I have to say I am very pleased with these hefty
little clamps at an incredible price.

I have a few each of the short ones (maybe 6 and 10 inch) and they are
working great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-96210.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote
I know you have to be very carful buying from Harbor Freight and much
of their stuff is pretty bad. I once had one of their quick squeeze
clamps crumble in my hand the first time I used it so I threw the
others out. However, I have to say I am very pleased with these hefty
little clamps at an incredible price.

I have a few each of the short ones (maybe 6 and 10 inch) and they are
working great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-96210.html

I bought a bunch of them. They were on sale and I used a coupon too. They
have worked well. Both for metal work and wood work. I even used them to
stabilize some tree branches to cut them up with a reciprocating saw. I am
happy with them.

The only ones that failed were used to hold some metal that was being
grinded. And the only reason they failed was that the grinder kept taking
chunks out of them. It couldn't be avoided though. And I could not have
done the job without them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I know you have to be very carful buying from Harbor Freight and much
of their stuff is pretty bad. I once had one of their quick squeeze
clamps crumble in my hand the first time I used it so I threw the
others out. However, I have to say I am very pleased with these hefty
little clamps at an incredible price.

I have a few each of the short ones (maybe 6 and 10 inch) and they are
working great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-96210.html

You need to inspect each one before buying it though. I've seen ones where
the shoe on the screw is out of alignment with the anvil by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If
you don't have a local store and have to mail order you may be screwed. The
older ones with the wooden handle were much better in this way, but a bitch to
tighten up with slippery hands.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote
[...]

I have a couple of these in 12" from HF. I especially like the quick
release and the fact that the bottom side of the bar is toothed for the
release. You just push the movable jaw to the work and the jaw stays. No
slipping back of the movable jaw until the release is used.
If you are strong enough to push the jaws together on the work, you
don't even have to use the screw handle to tighten, unless you want to
crush something.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:20:08 PM UTC-5, willshak wrote:
[...]

I have the longer version of these and have had great luck with them. Definitely a great buy.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

I know you have to be very carful buying from Harbor Freight and much
of their stuff is pretty bad. I once had one of their quick squeeze
clamps crumble in my hand the first time I used it so I threw the
others out.

Same, but instead of throwing them out, I fixed the two problems that
caused the crumble. Cost me one machine screw for the trigger, and a
dab of epoxy for a plastic tab that is flimsy.

However, I have to say I am very pleased with these hefty
little clamps at an incredible price.

I have a few each of the short ones (maybe 6 and 10 inch) and they are
working great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-96210.html

Thanks for that, always good to know when I deal comes our way.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:59:21 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I know you have to be very carful buying from Harbor Freight and much
of their stuff is pretty bad.

Replace "much of" with "some" and we can agree. But that's the same
with all tool manufacturers nowadays. If you don't believe me, DAGS
for "Delta Tools" recently.

I once had one of their quick squeeze
clamps crumble in my hand the first time I used it so I threw the
others out. However, I have to say I am very pleased with these hefty
little clamps at an incredible price.

I have a few each of the short ones (maybe 6 and 10 inch) and they are
working great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-96210.html

You need to inspect each one before buying it though. I've seen ones where
the shoe on the screw is out of alignment with the anvil by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If

I've bought dozens of those and never seen that. shrug
It appears from that link picture that the new models sport rubber
grip inserts in their handles, too.

you don't have a local store and have to mail order you may be screwed. The
older ones with the wooden handle were much better in this way, but a bitch to
tighten up with slippery hands.

Friction tape is your friend, as are old towels, washrags, shop rags.
http://goo.gl/d2VTm A single wrap will do it, noting the direction so
it doesn't start peeling the first time you use it.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I know you have to be very carful buying from Harbor Freight and much
of their stuff is pretty bad. I once had one of their quick squeeze
clamps crumble in my hand the first time I used it so I threw the
others out. However, I have to say I am very pleased with these hefty
little clamps at an incredible price.

I have a few each of the short ones (maybe 6 and 10 inch) and they are
working great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-96210.html

Also have them. Works great. WW