Brian Elfert

Default Are Harbor Freight sanding discs any good?

Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Brian Elfert
TeamCasa

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Brian Elfert

Nope. They are fine if you buy 3 times as many and don't mind changing them
3 times as often.

Dave

ANSTAAFL

http://www.usenet.com

Tim Douglass

On 22 Feb 2005 21:16:22 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Unless they are radically different from their other sandpaper-like
stuff the abrasive is only held to the paper by static cling and the
first hint of use turns it into plain paper sans-sand.

Just my experience, YMMV

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

On 22 Feb 2005 21:16:22 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Brian Elfert

I buy 6" random orbit disks from harbor freight. I also buy the purple
3m ones. when I'm sanding something that is likely to clog up the
paper, I use the cheap stuff. when I'm sanding hardwoods, I use the
good stuff. works for me...

Rick Cook

Brian Elfert wrote:
Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Brian Elfert

My experience is you'll be lucky if you get them to last 1/3 as long as
real sanding disks. Every single abrasive I've ever bought from HF has
been crap.

--RC
Rolling Thunder

Brian Elfert wrote:

Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Brian Elfert

Don't bother with their paint brushes either, the foam ones too, even
if they are very inexpensive.

Thunder

mac davis

On 22 Feb 2005 21:16:22 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down
in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from
Klingspor.

Brian Elfert

No experience with 12", but I use the 9" from HF and they seem to last just as
long as the 12" ones that I bought from Shopsmith.. which were a LOT more
expensive..

I'm sure that a better quality, more expensive paper would last longer, but I
probably use 1 disk for every 2 or 3 belts, so it's just not an issue for me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:39:10 GMT, Rolling Thunder wrote:

Don't bother with their paint brushes either, the foam ones too, even
if they are very inexpensive.

Thunder

An exception to that might be their "chip brushes", which I've always called
Throwaways...
I got a box of the 1" size for glue ups, staining, etc... great brushes for the
price and ideal for my use...

Like all of their stuff, you get what you pay for..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bruce

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:39:10 -0700, Rolling Thunder wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Don't bother with their paint brushes either, the foam ones too, even
if they are very inexpensive.

Thunder

I've had good results with both. Of course the brushes were for painting the
corners in the closet and the foam brushes for shop furniture 8^)

If you don't mind shedding bristles and small specks of foam in your finish
the price can't be beat.
I really like the acid brushes when on sale...

Jim K

The problem with HF is that one batch you get may be good, then when
you order another batch a month later, it's crap. Inconsistent
doesn't begin to describe thier quality control.