Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please suggest a good product to clean garage floors

I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday. There
is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some oil
stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will need
to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash. Just
don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday. There
is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some oil
stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will need
to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash. Just
don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

TriSodiumPhosphate (TSP)

OR
oxalic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Keepers_Friend)

OR

sodium hydroxide (50:1) w/H2O (dangerous)
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan (Colbert Report)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure about the rust.

As to the oil, I'd try crystal drain cleaner, Drano or Red
Devil. The lye turns oil to soap. Sprinkle on a little
water, so it's got water to work with. Rinse with very
gentle water and push broom to move the stuff around. The
stuff is corrosive, and dangerous to people, too.

I've also tried laundry detergent and push broom and hot
water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage
yesterday. There
is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and
some oil
stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I
figure I will need
to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then
wash. Just
don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:

There is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car,
and some oil stains.

Gasoline (a small amount) scrubbed into the oil should take care of
that. Do that first, and if there's any oil stain still there then use
laquer thinner on it.

As others have mentioned, various acids will take the rust stain out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I still do what worked 50 years ago in gas station lube bays. Spill gasoline on the floor. Push it around with a broom. Spill about a gallon (enough for a 20x20 garage) of burnt rice hull ash (available at NAPA). Push ash with broom and cover entire floor. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes and then sweep it all up. Floor comes out looking clean and slightly white form the rice hulls. Re-use old rice hulls at least 20 more times before tossing away.

Ivan Vegvary (working from the same bag of hulls for 25± years now)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in
:

I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday.
There is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and
some oil stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I
figure I will need to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak
and then wash. Just don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

Never tried any chemicals on oil stains becaue I've been successful with
cat litter. Depends on how just how clean you want to get the spot.

Put cat litter on spot. Grind in with your foot. Let it sit a day. Sweep
up. Repeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 04:34:36 -0600, Bob-tx wrote:
I'd appreciate suggestions.

French maid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2011 1:57 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 11/13/2011 2:34 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday.
There is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some
oil stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will
need to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash.
Just don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

tide, a small amount of water and a stiff broom.

High or low?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in
:

I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday.
There is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and
some oil stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I
figure I will need to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak
and then wash. Just don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

Soak the whole floor with oil.(when it is dry....)
New stains wont be visible then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2011 1:57 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 11/13/2011 2:34 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday.
There is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some
oil stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will
need to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash.
Just don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

tide, a small amount of water and a stiff broom.

Tide, Spic'n'span, etc, haven't had phosphates is several decades, at
least around here. My uncle used to bootleg 'the real stuff' for my
mother when he came to visit, but I think it is pretty much nationwide.
I remember exactly the process you describe from childhood, but lately
it apparently has fallen from favor.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 04:34:36 -0600, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact
wrote:

I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday. There
is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some oil
stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will need
to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash. Just
don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

When I worked in a Ford garage of some vintage in 1959 I remember the
boss had us use Tide the detergent to remove 30 or more years of
deposit. It worked to his satisfaction then. Today the phosphorus has
most likely been removed so TSP that has its original content is good.
Get it at a paint and hardware store. Make sure it has the phosphorus
in it. Read the label if you are not sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Like eskimos: IN

Q: Why do eskimos wash clothes in tide?
A: Cause it's too cold out-tide.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

tide, a small amount of water and a stiff broom.

High or low?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday. There
is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some oil
stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will need
to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash. Just
don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

I would try the CLR product on the rust. It worked for me, the one
time I tried it.

I agree with the TSP (red box). If you plan to wash the old water on a
lawn area or around plants near the garage - follow the directions.

Wet the outside area (plants / lawn turf) first and then rinse again
after the job is complete. Those are a "caution" on the red box of
TSP.

HD will have the red box of TSP in the paint / cleaning section. Do
not buy the green box.

Let us know what worked for you...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:34:13 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

As others have mentioned, various acids will take the rust stain out.

Now that you mention it. Lemon (lime) with salt rubbed in may get it
out....

I forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2011 10:25 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 11/13/2011 1:57 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 11/13/2011 2:34 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
I used my pressure washer to clean the floor of our garage yesterday.
There is some rust, apparently overflow from our previous car, and some
oil stains. The washer didn't do the job in these areas. I figure I will
need to put some cleaner of some kind on and let it soak and then wash.
Just don't know though.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Bob-tx

tide, a small amount of water and a stiff broom.

Tide, Spic'n'span, etc, haven't had phosphates is several decades, at
least around here. My uncle used to bootleg 'the real stuff' for my
mother when he came to visit, but I think it is pretty much nationwide.
I remember exactly the process you describe from childhood, but lately
it apparently has fallen from favor.

tsp added to it then.

--
Steve Barker