Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper pipe failure

All my DIY life i've talked myself out of using plastic pipe and/or
speedfit joints where pipework isn't easily accessible.

So I was quite ****ed off when the contents of our CH system were
running down an inside wall recently.

Upon pulling up carpet and floorboards I found a small hole in the pipe
and Googling since has suggested that this isn't uncommon.

Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:55:02 +0100, R D S wrote:

Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

There's a thread on here from 1st October about pin holes in copper pipe,
you must have missed it.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S formulated the question :
Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

There was discussion earlier of 1980's copper pipe eventually
developing pinholes, due to faulty manufacture. What year was it
installed and was the leak where the pipe might have rubbed against
anything, as it expanded and contracted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/18 17:28, The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:55:02 +0100, R D S wrote:

Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

There's a thread on here from 1st October about pin holes in copper pipe,
you must have missed it.

So there is, I don't come in here often enough to keep up with all the
posts. You lot have a lot to say!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/18 17:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
R D S formulated the question :
Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing
job coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

There was discussion earlier

I now see.

of 1980's copper pipe eventually developing
pinholes, due to faulty manufacture.

Nightmare.

What year was it installed and was
the leak where the pipe might have rubbed against anything, as it
expanded and contracted?

'97/98 although in a backwater like this I could imagine the merchant
having sat on it for some time.

We are about to do some extensive redecorating, I might replace the lot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S explained :
'97/98 although in a backwater like this I could imagine the merchant having
sat on it for some time.

We are about to do some extensive redecorating, I might replace the lot!

All the heating HW and CW pipes in my home were installed in the early
1980's and I have had no problems with leaks at all. Your problem might
just be an isolated pin hole, or just a single section of pipe in your
system, which didn't meet the specs. Seems a shame to go to all the
time and expense of replacing all of it for a single pinhole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2018 16:55, R D S wrote:
All my DIY life i've talked myself out of using plastic pipe and/or
speedfit joints where pipework isn't easily accessible.

So I was quite ****ed off when the contents of our CH system were
running down an inside wall recently.

Upon pulling up carpet and floorboards I found a small hole in the pipe
and Googling since has suggested that this isn't uncommon.

Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

In soft (or "aggressive") water areas, pin holes after decades are not
unknown. Then again we live in a hard water area, and:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...e_rubbing_pipe

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 October 2018 16:55:05 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

All my DIY life i've talked myself out of using plastic pipe and/or
speedfit joints where pipework isn't easily accessible.

So I was quite ****ed off when the contents of our CH system were
running down an inside wall recently.

Upon pulling up carpet and floorboards I found a small hole in the pipe
and Googling since has suggested that this isn't uncommon.

Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

Copper normally is for life, but the occasional failure occurs.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes
On Thursday, 11 October 2018 16:55:05 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

All my DIY life i've talked myself out of using plastic pipe and/or
speedfit joints where pipework isn't easily accessible.

So I was quite ****ed off when the contents of our CH system were
running down an inside wall recently.

Upon pulling up carpet and floorboards I found a small hole in the pipe
and Googling since has suggested that this isn't uncommon.

Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job
coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.

Copper normally is for life, but the occasional failure occurs.

Lifetime guarantee :-)
NT

Copper-bottomed.
--