Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stinky food processor

We have a cheapo food processor bought in Lidl. Only sees very occasional
light use for the odd task that is just a lot easier with a processor.
What bothers me a bit is the stink of ozone from it every time I use it. It
really is very marked.

Is this likely to indicate a fault? I opened it up today and watched it
running (but without any load) and there was minimal arcing at the brushes.
Its not easy to add any load to it whilst the motor is hanging out so I
dont know whether it would arc more then.

Should I worry or just accept that its a side effect of being a cheapo
model?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 October 2018 20:11:35 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
What bothers me a bit is the stink of ozone from it every time I use it. It
really is very marked.
Should I worry or just accept that its a side effect of being a cheapo
model?

I have a B&D cordless drill that does that noticeably. Its predecessor Argos Super Butch[1] didn't.

Owain

[1] Can't remember what the pseudo-brand actually was, but you get the picture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
We have a cheapo food processor bought in Lidl. Only sees very occasional
light use for the odd task that is just a lot easier with a processor.
What bothers me a bit is the stink of ozone from it every time I use it.
It
really is very marked.

Is this likely to indicate a fault?

Or a bad design.

I opened it up today and watched it
running (but without any load) and there was minimal arcing at the
brushes.
Its not easy to add any load to it whilst the motor is hanging out so I
dont know whether it would arc more then.

Should I worry or just accept that its a side effect of being a cheapo
model?

None of my cheaper models have done that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 07:42:12 +1100, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

None of my cheaper models have done that.

Thank you that was a very helpful reply, you endlessly driveling senile
cretin!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andew Jones" Wrote in message:

"Tim+" wrote in message

Should I worry or just accept that it?s a side effect of being a cheapo
model?

None of my cheaper models have done that.

It was very cheap IIRC...

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 October 2018 20:11:35 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
We have a cheapo food processor bought in Lidl. Only sees very occasional
light use for the odd task that is just a lot easier with a processor.
What bothers me a bit is the stink of ozone from it every time I use it. It
really is very marked.

Is this likely to indicate a fault? I opened it up today and watched it
running (but without any load) and there was minimal arcing at the brushes.
Its not easy to add any load to it whilst the motor is hanging out so I
dont know whether it would arc more then.

Should I worry or just accept that its a side effect of being a cheapo
model?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

The Ozone smell is caused by electric sparks, usually from the brushes of the motor.
Brand new brushes will spark until they "bed in".
If it still sparks more than minimally after they've bedded in, the armature is faulty.
If so, use it 'til it fails & then junk it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some people say a snubber network inside can help, but I have my doubts. if
the design is crap and made to self destruct, then that is the way it is.
I'm assuming the motor is mains operated and not one of those low voltage
ones with a wall wart?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

"Tim+" wrote in message

Should I worry or just accept that it?s a side effect of being a cheapo
model?

None of my cheaper models have done that.

It was very cheap IIRC...

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:26:30 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I remember the old Tellies that used to smell like this and crackle
on a damp morning. Brian

Oh yeah I'd forgotten, the HT used to fizzle quite alarmingly
sometimes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:29:10 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Some people say a snubber network inside can help, but I have my
doubts.

That would have been my second suggestion, after checking the brushes
and commutator were clean and smooth and properly tensioned.
ISTR it's just a capacitor and a diode that's needed, but I'm hazy on
that.