Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wet carpet

If a carpet of the normal house kind ie not one meant for a bathroom, which
are designed to get wet, gets wet, how is the best way to dry it and stop it
from rotting?
May seem daft, and I know that if its polluted water from a naff central
heating leak or a flood where more than just a bit of rain is involved its
probably a throw it away job, but it was just that I do have the odd
accident with fluids and wondered if simply using a fan heater on it or
throwing it over a radiator might do the trick. I'm interested in stains and
smell, in the main.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 11:26:38 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

If a carpet of the normal house kind ie not one meant for a bathroom, which
are designed to get wet, gets wet, how is the best way to dry it and stop it
from rotting?

Best is a carpet cleaner. They suck the water out.
I suspect you don't want the best though. The simplest for anyone without a cc is to use towels then bogroll, then fan dry it.

The biggest problem is glue failure.

May seem daft, and I know that if its polluted water from a naff central
heating leak or a flood where more than just a bit of rain is involved its
probably a throw it away job, but it was just that I do have the odd
accident with fluids and wondered if simply using a fan heater on it or
throwing it over a radiator might do the trick.

Heat is not what's wanted.

I'm interested in stains and
smell, in the main.
Brian

Weird taste is not something we can help with in uk.d-i-y.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

If a carpet of the normal house kind ie not one meant for a bathroom,
which are designed to get wet, gets wet, how is the best way to dry it and
stop it from rotting?

You don’t need to do anything special after using a carpet cleaners.

May seem daft, and I know that if its polluted water from a naff central
heating leak or a flood where more than just a bit of rain is involved its
probably a throw it away job,

Not if you dry it well.

but it was just that I do have the odd accident with fluids and wondered
if simply using a fan heater on it

Yep.

or throwing it over a radiator might do the trick.

Not a great idea with a full room carpet.

I'm interested in stains and smell, in the main.

Works fine to use a proper rented industrial carpet cleaner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 11:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
If a carpet of the normal house kind ie not one meant for a bathroom, which
are designed to get wet, gets wet, how is the best way to dry it and stop it
from rotting?

Been there with the T shirt, and have made some mistakes in the past
(mainly over wetting when cleaning).

It will only rot if left wet for months. People use old carpets on top
of compost heaps and they don't rot for many months.

Even if water has not been discovered for months and the carpet backing
has a mild mould a wipe over of the backing with a rag damped down with
bleach after first drying it out can save the carpet. Don't make the rag
too wet or the bleach will wet the pile.

May seem daft, and I know that if its polluted water from a naff central
heating leak or a flood where more than just a bit of rain is involved its
probably a throw it away job,

If the water from the central heating leak is relatively localised and
clean or just slightly stained then as long as the leak is caught soon
enough first let the carpet fully dry out and then shampoo it. Letting
it thoroughly dry first may/will reveal a water mark around the edge of
the area of the leak, especially visible if the carpet is one colour.
The trick is not to wet the carpet too much when shampooing - try to
just clean the pile without getting the backing wet/damp. You may have
to do this multiple times letting the carpet dry between applications.

but it was just that I do have the odd
accident with fluids and wondered if simply using a fan heater on it or
throwing it over a radiator might do the trick. I'm interested in stains and
smell, in the main.

It depends on how much water and how the carpet is fitted. With a fitted
carpet a rubber/foam type underlay may trap the water and its best to
try and lift the carpet away from the underlay. This is easy with
something like a radiator leak as only the edge of the carpet needs to
be lifted. If the carpet is small then hang it out on the washing line
or put over a radiator.

In the past with a fitted carpet where a lot of clean water was spilled
in the middle of carpet I have screwed in a self tapping screw into the
carpet, attached a string to the screw and lifted the carpet perhaps
half an inch away from the underlay.

As for smell you may/will get a distinctive wet carpet (wet dog) type
smell while it is wet and for some time after its dry. Once fully dry a
spray with something such as Fabreeze. If you have lifted the carpet
spray both sides, and the floor underneath, and let it dry again before
restoring the original fitting.

The final solution may also be down to the material the carpet is made
from. I have some largish synthetic fibre rugs which I can take outside
and clean with a hose pipe and soft brush to work in the shampoo. Draped
over a garden bench they drip dry in 24 hours in rain free summer days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 11:47:14 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Are you sure about that ?
;-)

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 11:26:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

If a carpet of the normal house kind ie not one meant for a bathroom,
which
are designed to get wet, gets wet, how is the best way to dry it and stop
it
from rotting?
May seem daft, and I know that if its polluted water from a naff central
heating leak or a flood where more than just a bit of rain is involved its
probably a throw it away job, but it was just that I do have the odd
accident with fluids and wondered if simply using a fan heater on it or
throwing it over a radiator might do the trick. I'm interested in stains
and
smell, in the main.
Brian

Assuming you can't lift it and hang it up somewhere to dry, get some
dry towels or flannels, put them down on the wet patch and tread on
them. It may sound contradictory, but it brings the wetness up into
the towel. After you've done that two or three times, moving the towel
around a bit to expose a fresh dry part, repeat with a new dry towel.
Finish off by repeating the process with sheets of kitchen roll, until
they come up nearly dry. Then blow cool air over the damp patch of
carpet until it's completely dry.

It was my late wife's technique, and it always seemed to work very
effectively.

Also, if you happen to have a wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner or a carpet
cleaner, you could use that to absorb the bulk of the water before going on
to the towels and kitchen roll.

Incidentally, don't use light-coloured towels with a dark carpet, as they
may become stained with the dye from the carpet - or with dirt that
inevitably gets into carpets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 11:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm interested in stains and
smell, in the main.
Brian

There's some nasty food poisoning bugs going
round this year. Tends to cause lots of
issues for fitted carpets. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :
If a carpet of the normal house kind ie not one meant for a bathroom, which
are designed to get wet, gets wet, how is the best way to dry it and stop it
from rotting?
May seem daft, and I know that if its polluted water from a naff central
heating leak or a flood where more than just a bit of rain is involved its
probably a throw it away job, but it was just that I do have the odd accident
with fluids and wondered if simply using a fan heater on it or throwing it
over a radiator might do the trick. I'm interested in stains and smell, in
the main.
Brian

I used to look after a certain banking chain and the banks often had
floods on carpets. Sometimes several inches deep in water. The usual
procedure was get guys with pumps in, then industrial wet vacs, then
several industrial dehumifiers, fans and heaters.

Worst case, was a bank flooded by a burst pipe from the tenants floor
above, a foot deep in the basement and that was out of operation for
just one week. It went unnoticed for days, because of a Christmas
break.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

a carpet [...] meant for a bathroom

Yuck!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

a carpet [...] meant for a bathroom

Yuck!

It's only in recent years that I've started to see bathrooms with lino or
tiles. All my parents' houses have had carpet (usually artificial fibre on
foam backing) in the bathroom, and several houses that we've seen while
house-hunting have had carpets.

As long as it doesn't get wet, and as long as there's a mat round the
washbasin and loo, and a mat for you to stand on when you get out of the
bath, then it's fine. Nicer than standing on cold lino or tiles. But not as
hygenic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 14:24, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

a carpet [...] meant for a bathroom

Yuck!

It's only in recent years that I've started to see bathrooms with lino
or tiles. All my parents' houses have had carpet (usually artificial
fibre on foam backing) in the bathroom, and several houses that we've
seen while house-hunting have had carpets.

As long as it doesn't get wet, and as long as there's a mat round the
washbasin and loo, and a mat for you to stand on when you get out of the
bath, then it's fine. Nicer than standing on cold lino or tiles. But not
as hygenic.

I once helped a friend strip out a bathroom in a house he had recently
purchased. A carpet had been fitted and the toilet then fitted on top of
it. The smell of stale urine was present before the toilet bowl was
released and when lifted off..........

Any fixed carpet anywhere near a loo is bad news.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 15:00:33 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 04/10/2018 14:24, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

[...]

Yes. If you get down close to clean around the bog it's remarkable where pee ends up. I can't imagine why but it often does. Maybe some people are just not housetrained.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/18 14:24, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

a carpet [...] meant for a bathroom

Yuck!

It's only in recent years that I've started to see bathrooms with lino
or tiles. All my parents' houses have had carpet (usually artificial
fibre on foam backing) in the bathroom, and several houses that we've
seen while house-hunting have had carpets.

As long as it doesn't get wet, and as long as there's a mat round the
washbasin and loo, and a mat for you to stand on when you get out of the
bath, then it's fine. Nicer than standing on cold lino or tiles. But not
as hygenic.

We bought special bathroom carpet for our en-suite perhaps 12 years ago.
It has lasted quite well, the pile tends to 'flatten' but we clean it
with one of those carpet cleaning machines (a Vax thing) and it
'springs' back like new. It doesn't have an underlay or foam back so is
quite 'firm' under foot. Otherwise it is fine. No sign of mold etc. If
things like shampoo etc spill, it does stain. It was quite expensive
compared to ordinary carpet.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any truth in the story some office staff pee in a circle round their desk every morning?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay Wrote in message:

& still stinks of **** around the bog.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2018 10:38, Jim K wrote:
Brian Reay Wrote in message:
On 04/10/18 14:24, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

a carpet [...] meant for a bathroom
Yuck!

It's only in recent years that I've started to see bathrooms with lino
or tiles. All my parents' houses have had carpet (usually artificial

things like shampoo etc spill, it does stain. It was quite expensive
compared to ordinary carpet

& still stinks of **** around the bog.

We have has carpeted bathrooms and toilets all our married life and
never has one stank of ****.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you need to dry the carpet or part of the carpet, then I recommend you use a vacuum cleaner, if you don't have a vacuum cleaner, you can find some tips in this article https://bestcleaneradviser.com/how-t...ithout-vacuum/ . These are really very good tips, on this portal there is a lot of information on how to clean more efficiently and not spend a lot of time and effort on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 September 2019 13:52:24 UTC+1, wrote:
If you need to dry the carpet or part of the carpet, then I recommend you use a vacuum cleaner, if you don't have a vacuum cleaner, you can find some tips in this article

. These are really very good tips, on this portal there is a lot of information on how to clean more efficiently and not spend a lot of time and effort on it.

we have a joker