Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Installing shower

I have had a long lecture from someone who has seen a video online
showing a shower being fitted. That includes testing the output
temperature with a thermometer. In practice, does anyone ever do that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2018 13:07, GB wrote:
I have had a long lecture from someone who has seen a video online
showing a shower being fitted. That includes testing the output
temperature with a thermometer.Â* In practice, does anyone ever do that?

Possibly only where there is a legal requirement to do so such as for a
temperature controlled shower in a old folks home/hospital etc.

On mixing showers testing only the output is insufficient. You first
need to establish that the hot water feed is at a scalding temperature
and the output is a lower temperature. If you test the output when the
hot water input is barely warm the test will always pass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 13:07:16 UTC+1, GB wrote:
I have had a long lecture from someone who has seen a video online
showing a shower being fitted. That includes testing the output
temperature with a thermometer. In practice, does anyone ever do that?

I have. Do you need to? The answer is in most cases no.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 23:56:31 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 26/09/2018 20:16, Steve Walker wrote:
On 26/09/2018 17:24, newshound wrote:
On 26/09/2018 14:07, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 13:07:16 UTC+1, GBÂ* wrote:

I have had a long lecture from someone who has seen a video online
showing a shower being fitted. That includes testing the output
temperature with a thermometer.Â* In practice, does anyone ever do that?

I have. Do you need to? The answer is in most cases no.

NT

Me too.

I also have this uncalibrated thermometer that I take everywhere with
me, known as a hand.

Yes. I set the stop on our thermostatic shower valve to the point where
it was a little too hot to stand, but not hot enough to scald for a
reasonable period. Why would I want a thermometer for that?

OK, one where vulnerable people, with different tolerances are present
would require a properly measured setting.

SteveW

Yes, that is *really* important. It is not just the tolerances, it's
that some people can't sense when they are being burned.

I've found that what's a comfortable shower temp for one person would have another screaming in pain.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Its never that extreme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Troll Alert!

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 20:01:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yes, that is *really* important. It is not just the tolerances, it's
that some people can't sense when they are being burned.

I've found that what's a comfortable shower temp for one person would have
another screaming in pain.

Its never that extreme.

Ozzie idiot knows it BETTER, yet AGAIN! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2018 10:51, wrote:
[...]

Yes, but not actually causing any harm. The stop is not to prevent
someone being (very) uncomfortable, it is purely to prevent them
accidentally injuring themselves - otherwise there would not be a means
to override it and turn it hotter.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 September 2018 21:38:01 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/09/2018 10:51, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I'm not convinced of that, but am not willing to do the experiment.

NT