Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cordless VOIP phone

Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to plug
in an analogue cordless phone?

Iain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/18 14:11, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 13:43:52 +0100, Iain wrote:

Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to plug
in an analogue cordless phone?

Iain

Can't you load up a VOIP app onto a smartphone ?

CBA but pretty certain the latest flavour of Android has VOIP baked in,
if you set it up ???

You'll probably need a help app to get at the SIP settings. SIP is
there, but on many version of Android, the settings do not appear anywhere.

Bit silly really...

IME, it works, but SIP on Android is a dogs dinner quality wise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iain wrote:
Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to plug
in an analogue cordless phone?

Gigaset N300(A) plus a DECT handset of your choice -
would recommend a Gigaset handset chosen from this list to support the most
features of the base:
https://www.gigaset.com/en_en/cms/st.../products.html

You don't need to buy them together - often it's cheaper to buy a regular
DECT bundle, associate handsets with the N300 and use the supplied DECT base
just for charging.
(a 'H' suffix like C430H is a handset only, a C430 is the full DECT system
with handset. The full systems are often cheaper)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to plug
in an analogue cordless phone?

Iain

Yes.
Usual recommendation for SIP DECT phones are the Gigaset range
https://www.gigaset.com/en_en/telephones/voip-phones/
You will find earlier models on Ebay

For ATAs I have always stuck to the Cisco/Linksys range The PAP-2
although obsolete is available on ebay for under £20 and each gives
you two FXS (telephone) ports. I have several of those and also a
SPA-3000, again obsolete but available cheaply on ebay ,which allows
me to connect a POTS (FXO port) line as well as another FXS.

I use a Raspberry Pi running FreePBX (Asterisk) to do some clever
stuff.

Service providers?
I would recommend Sipgate Basic for incoming calls (free geographic
number for the STD code of your choice).

discountvoip.co.uk for reliable, ridiculously cheap outgoing calls .

pbxes.org if you find the need for a free cloud based Asterisk box
with limited capabilities, but I find it useful nonetheless.

and Newsgroup, uk.telecom.voip
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh and CSipSimple for my Android phone.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 14:25:29 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 25/09/18 14:11, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 13:43:52 +0100, Iain wrote:

Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to
plug in an analogue cordless phone?

Iain

Can't you load up a VOIP app onto a smartphone ?

CBA but pretty certain the latest flavour of Android has VOIP baked in,
if you set it up ???

You'll probably need a help app to get at the SIP settings. SIP is
there, but on many version of Android, the settings do not appear
anywhere.

Bit silly really...

IME, it works, but SIP on Android is a dogs dinner quality wise.

Ah, well, I wouldn't know

I have a few Grandstream VOIP phones I inherited from an office shutdown
years ago. I've got one with my sipgate account *and* a freespeech
account running. I had to use freespeech since Sipgate don't give a toss
about Linux, and I like to run a client on my laptop.

apt-get update
apt-get install linphone -y

Then congigure the Linphone GUI with your Sipgate account details.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Iain
scribeth thus
Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to plug
in an analogue cordless phone?

Iain

Load Zioper on your phone works very well, can't fault it

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 16:02:10 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Oh and CSipSimple for my Android phone.

Or Zoiper. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 16:00:38 +0100, Graham. wrote:

discountvoip.co.uk for reliable, ridiculously cheap outgoing calls .

Well if I could understand their rates for UK mobiles I could be
tempted.

What does "United Kingdom [Main] (Mobile)" mean? That's charged at
0.36 p/min, which is just over half what they charge for "United
Kingdom (Landline)" at 0.6 p/min... They also have "United Kingdom
[Others] (Mobile)" at 14.4p/min, which is significantly more than
Sipgate Basic at 9.9p/min.

With everyone slowly shifting onto mobiles only, I'm looking for a
VOIP service provider that offers calls to UK Mobiles cheaper than
Sipgate Basic (9.9 p/min). The Sipgate Basic UK Calls package at
£9.95/month for all calls to UK Landline and mobiles is attractive
(our monthly spend isn't quite that high, yet) but find what
limitations there are. There is no such thing as a free lunch...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
What does "United Kingdom [Main] (Mobile)" mean? That's charged at
0.36 p/min, which is just over half what they charge for "United
Kingdom (Landline)" at 0.6 p/min... They also have "United Kingdom
[Others] (Mobile)" at 14.4p/min, which is significantly more than
Sipgate Basic at 9.9p/min.

I /think/ 'Others' means 07 numbers that aren't regular mobiles - pagers,
Jersey/Guernsey/IoM, etc. If you look at the rate card for one of their
wholesale brands:
http://www.voicetrading.com/calling-rates#letter-U
the individual networks are spelled out - Vodafone = 0.75c/min, Three =
4.04c/min, and then Jersey = 9.58c/min and the catch-all 'mobile' =
11.53c/min.

I don't know if there's a way to find out the number map discountcalling are
using - you may have to try it and see.

Caveat: the MO of the Dellmont/Betamax brands is prices fluctuate on a daily
basis. So a brand you topup with this week may not be cheap next week.
When you come to make a new topup, it is worth reviewing whether there's
another brand that's cheaper for you.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You can make a LOT of calls on discountvoip for £10.57, I think that
much lasts me 3 months.

All I can say about the (others)(mobile) chargeband is that I have
never managed to dial a number that incurs it. Perhaps it is a
back-stop to guard against some future premium mobile service or even
the charge for "personal numbers" begriming with 070 that are not
mobiles but are often confused with them,

So yes, you have found a service that is cheaper than Sipgate and
cheaper for mobiles than landlines at the moment (how do they manage
that?)

Why don't you try them and see how long your £10.57 lasts? (57p
handling fee) you can present your Sipgate, landline, or mobile
number, or any number you are custodian of as CLID

If anything is ominous about these Dellmont clones, it's the rollout
of dual pricing depending on whether the CALLER (not the callee) is
within the EU or not.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Iain
scribeth thus
Anyone got recommendations for cordless VOIP phones, Or adaptors to plug
in an analogue cordless phone?

Iain

Load Zioper on your phone works very well, can't fault it

I can!

On my 6 year old Android phone loading Zoiper (like a lot of apps)
says:
"Your device isn't compatible with this version"

Perish the thought, but if I was a cynic I might think there was a
conspiracy afoot.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 12:07:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Load Zioper on your phone works very well, can't fault it

I can!

On my 6 year old Android phone loading Zoiper (like a lot of apps)
says: "Your device isn't compatible with this version"

Time to reflash the ROM with a more recent version of Android. Just
done that with my Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini of similar vintage. It's
now running Lineage with Android 7.1.2 and a minimal set of Google
stuff.

Biggest problem now is lack of memory anything less than about 800 MB
free and it becomes very sluggish.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Don't you lot have any cheap mobile plans with unlimited calls and
texts and MMSs to any landline and mobile in the country, with some
data ? We have countless MVRs who do that for $10/month with
1GB of data and the same thing with more data for more per month.

I used to use voip for outgoing calls which cost just 10c per call
regardless of the length of the call to landlines and no fixed
monthly fee but don't bother to use that anymore and use the
mobile for all incoming and outgoing calls and texts now.
And don't use anything like 1GB of data a month because
I also have unlimited 144/44 VDSL2 fixed broadband.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

$10Aus is about £5.50, that's a good deal for unlimited calls.

Compare that with our popular GiffGaff £5 goodybag, limited to
500MB/150 call minutes/ 500 texts
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 15:14:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Don't you lot have any cheap mobile plans with unlimited calls and
texts and MMSs to any landline and mobile in the country, with

some
data ?

Yes but you do need a mobile signal as well. The mobile is almost
useable here provided you are, upstrairs, by a window, on the right
side of the house. I also don't like the delay and codec artifacts on
a mobile in anything but end stop signal areas.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 23:13:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Don't you lot have any cheap mobile plans with unlimited calls and
texts and MMSs to any landline and mobile in the country, with some
data ? We have countless MVRs who do that for $10/month with
1GB of data and the same thing with more data for more per month.

I used to use voip for outgoing calls which cost just 10c per call

That was BEFORE you discovered Usenet for your trolling and your need to
drivel endlessly, right, senile Rot?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 11:50:32 +0100, Graham. wrote:

All I can say about the (others)(mobile) chargeband is that I have
never managed to dial a number that incurs it. Perhaps it is a
back-stop to guard against some future premium mobile service or even
the charge for "personal numbers" begriming with 070 that are not
mobiles but are often confused with them,

So yes, you have found a service that is cheaper than Sipgate and
cheaper for mobiles than landlines at the moment (how do they manage
that?)

OK I'll have a deeper dig.

Why don't you try them and see how long your £10.57 lasts? (57p
handling fee)

"Handling fee" renamed "credit card surcharge" since CC surcharges
are no longer allowed? This and the variable top up brands thingy
doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their clarity/integrity.

--
Cheers
Dave.