Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power tool battery revival

Hi all,

I have a few 18v Graco (same as DeWalt lithium ion) batteries for my paint sprayer which seem to charge well but then die very quickly. Once charged they show just over 20v on the multi meter. I have been doing some searching and come across people saying
1. Zap them with 36v - although this seems to be if they are not charging at all
2. Slowly drain them until tool doesn't work any more. Leave them and drain again. Repeat until completely dead and then charge.

Does anyone know if this works or is there a better option? For option 2, my sprayer only has one setting so will this have the same effect or do I need to find another way to discharge them eg somehow find a 18v ish bulb ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is my understanding that Litium Ion batteries should not be fully discharged and usually contain circuits to prevent this happening. Some of your advice applies more to NiCads.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I thought that and to some extent the older nickel metal hydride types
as well.

Lithium/ion ar a whole other animal indeed depending on their construction
several different animals. Some are like normal batteries some are like a
kind of thin set of electrodes squished up together... I know a technical
term!
One tends to have individual cell failure as with the older types and of
course because its being reverse charged by the others running the load it
is well knackered fast and turns into a resistor. The others can get very
hot and burst into flames hence the protection!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
It is my understanding that Litium Ion batteries should not be fully
discharged and usually contain circuits to prevent this happening. Some of
your advice applies more to NiCads.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/18 18:45, Tricky Dicky wrote:
It is my understanding that Litium Ion batteries should not be fully discharged and usually contain circuits to prevent this happening. Some of your advice applies more to NiCads.

Richard

Once lithyum are dead,they are dead.

No zombie jooz avaialable.

Miracle battery revival ?Q?Pet_@_www.gymratz.co.uk_=c2=ac=29?= UK diy 10 August 6th 17 09:44 AM
sink revival / restoration GMC UK diy 2 October 2nd 09 04:52 PM
Nad Equipment failure and revival GregS[_3_] Electronics Repair 5 August 31st 09 10:19 PM
Norm's Greek Revival Episode and New Tools Leon Woodworking 16 March 14th 06 05:30 PM
Battery power tool recommendation? Nick UK diy 46 March 14th 06 10:50 AM