Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy suppliers DD

I have not yet delved into the detail of my bills for the year, to
check the numbers, but my E&G DD has been increased three times now
from £48 per month, to the present £92. My predicted consumption over
the years has been near as matters spot on and its a one year fix, due
to end in November.

My supplier has sent me a comparison, which shows the cost will be much
higher for the next year. Might they be increasing my DD, so as to
cover the cost, assuming that I will accept the much more expensive fix
beginning in November? In other words - are they stockpiling my cash,
in anticipation for next year?

It just seems so odd that they based the original DD on what my
suggested consumption was, that my actual consumption is so close to
that, yet the DD has been increased three times in the year..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 20:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have not yet delved into the detail of my bills for the year, to check
the numbers, but my E&G DD has been increased three times now from £48
per month, to the present £92. My predicted consumption over the years
has been near as matters spot on and its a one year fix, due to end in
November.

My supplier has sent me a comparison, which shows the cost will be much
higher for the next year. Might they be increasing my DD, so as to cover
the cost, assuming that I will accept the much more expensive fix
beginning in November? In other words - are they stockpiling my cash, in
anticipation for next year?

It just seems so odd that they based the original DD on what my
suggested consumption was, that my actual consumption is so close to
that, yet the DD has been increased three times in the year..

Are you on a fixed priced deal?

Certainly with all the deals I've had, you didn't have to accept the
suggested change to DD. Also, any 'credit' could be reclaimed- once or
twice we've ended up with money in credit due to periods travelling etc.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay presented the following explanation :
Are you on a fixed priced deal?

Yes, fixed..

Certainly with all the deals I've had, you didn't have to accept the
suggested change to DD. Also, any 'credit' could be reclaimed- once or twice
we've ended up with money in credit due to periods travelling etc.

Their monthly bills keep showing me owing them, despite the increased
DD.

There just delivered quote for next years DD for the new tariff, shows
my present tariff DD as £75 per month, whereas I was advised it would
be increased to £92 from last month. All very confused.

Its Bristol. They have just taken their consumption comparison pages
(last year v this year) down, because they suggest it is confusing
their customers. Not half, it has no relationship to my own spreadsheet
(last year v this year) comparison.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
writes
[...]

If you have your consumption in a spreadsheet then just add the costs
and you can check against your actual bills.
Note your bill does not include VAT in the unit pricing but adds it on
to the total at the end.
Fir next year what are they basing their quote on? Best comparable
tariff or their standard variable one? Comparison web sites use the
latter as dictated by Ofgem but their prices do include VAT unless it
says otherwise.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:24:24 PM UTC+1, bert wrote:
[...]

Could the first few have been artificially cheap to create a good first impression? Then bigger amounts later to make up the total?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:11:57 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have not yet delved into the detail of my bills for the year, to
check the numbers, but my E&G DD has been increased three times now
from ú48 per month, to the present ú92. My predicted consumption over
the years has been near as matters spot on and its a one year fix, due
to end in November.

My supplier has sent me a comparison, which shows the cost will be much
higher for the next year. Might they be increasing my DD, so as to
cover the cost, assuming that I will accept the much more expensive fix
beginning in November? In other words - are they stockpiling my cash,
in anticipation for next year?

They'll be basing their projected cost on you not doing anything when
your current fixed term ends in November. For the 10 months after
November they will be using their standard variable tarrif. They are
simply following the rules regarding the assumption you'll "do
nothing" and also the rules that say they mustn't let people run up
big debts.

Rules that do nothing to make things clear.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I now do the following. I get a reading every quarter, and ask them to only
take what the bill on the real reading is. I can still be on the EDF Blue
tariff and can quit if I can get it cheaper. . However as you say, they used
to say the price was fixed for two years, but this has dropped to one
year,but still worth having
The only fiddle room they do have is when the new tariff comes in and of
course since we do not know the date exactly except its in June they do have
to estimate the changed units. However so far its been pretty fair.
I am not dual fuel and unfortunately most of the really cheaper deals only
run if you have both gas and Leccy from the same supplier. There must be
zillions of people out there with no gas who otherwise are paying huge
amounts for leccy due to this discrimination.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
I have not yet delved into the detail of my bills for the year, to check
the numbers, but my E&G DD has been increased three times now from £48 per
month, to the present £92. My predicted consumption over the years has been
near as matters spot on and its a one year fix, due to end in November.

My supplier has sent me a comparison, which shows the cost will be much
higher for the next year. Might they be increasing my DD, so as to cover
the cost, assuming that I will accept the much more expensive fix
beginning in November? In other words - are they stockpiling my cash, in
anticipation for next year?

It just seems so odd that they based the original DD on what my suggested
consumption was, that my actual consumption is so close to that, yet the
DD has been increased three times in the year..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice has brought this to us :
They'll be basing their projected cost on you not doing anything when
your current fixed term ends in November. For the 10 months after
November they will be using their standard variable tarrif. They are
simply following the rules regarding the assumption you'll "do
nothing" and also the rules that say they mustn't let people run up
big debts.

Rules that do nothing to make things clear.

That is the explanation I have arrived at too. A change of supplier is
due. E.On seem to be my cheapest option from MoneySavingExpert, with a
one year fix, even cheaper than what I am paying at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
I have not yet delved into the detail of my bills for the year, to check
the numbers, but my E&G DD has been increased three times now from £48 per
month, to the present £92. My predicted consumption over the years has
been near as matters spot on and its a one year fix, due to end in
November.

My supplier has sent me a comparison, which shows the cost will be much
higher for the next year. Might they be increasing my DD, so as to cover
the cost, assuming that I will accept the much more expensive fix
beginning in November? In other words - are they stockpiling my cash, in
anticipation for next year?

I've got thoroughly ****ed off with this method of account for and paying my
bills

I'm going back to the quarterly credit billing, even if it costs me 30
pounds (or so) a year more.

It's too much aggro reconciling my bills for such a small sum.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2018 07:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I now do the following. I get a reading every quarter, and ask them to only
take what the bill on the real reading is. I can still be on the EDF Blue
tariff and can quit if I can get it cheaper. . However as you say, they used
to say the price was fixed for two years, but this has dropped to one
year,but still worth having
The only fiddle room they do have is when the new tariff comes in and of
course since we do not know the date exactly except its in June they do have
to estimate the changed units.

EDF usually ask you for a reading when the increase in tariff is due, so
I exaggerate it a bit to save a few pence if I remember.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." Wrote in message:

[...]

I've never really had a problem with it, if it's run up too much
credit then I've had no problem requesting it be paid back,
though it doesn't seem to happen so much nowadays. though with a
biggish old house, heating bills are high compared to summer gas
use and always run a biggish credit by this time of the
year.

But Ovo give 3% interest on in credit balances, so not a bad
savings rate :-)

--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 07:26:59 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I am not dual fuel and unfortunately most of the really cheaper deals
only run if you have both gas and Leccy from the same supplier. There
must be zillions of people out there with no gas who otherwise are
paying huge amounts for leccy due to this discrimination.

There is a differential but I don't think it's that great. Less than
a penny/unit? Got to admit I always tick the "no gas" box when
looking at prices. if have a spare hour I'll do a few comparisons
with gas and see what the real figure is. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

Rules laid down by Ofgem and used by all the comparison web sites.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Dave Liquorice has brought this to us :
They'll be basing their projected cost on you not doing anything when
your current fixed term ends in November. For the 10 months after
November they will be using their standard variable tarrif. They are
simply following the rules regarding the assumption you'll "do
nothing" and also the rules that say they mustn't let people run up
big debts.

Rules that do nothing to make things clear.

That is the explanation I have arrived at too. A change of supplier is
due. E.On seem to be my cheapest option from MoneySavingExpert, with a
one year fix, even cheaper than what I am paying at the moment.

Given the above explanation are you sure? MSE are governed by the same
rules and will claim savings based on those rules as explained above.
I use comparison sites purely as a ranking system.
For actual costs compared to what I pay now I use a spreadsheet.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:01:45 +0100, bert wrote:

[...]

Which works as all the calculation is done using the same set of
rules, so the cheapest listed probably will be the cheapest. The
calculated annual bill for a given tarrif will be right provided you
have given the site an accurate comsumption figure. Any quoted
savings are likely to be way off the
mark.

For actual costs compared to what I pay now I use a spreadsheet.

The only way to do it with any measure of accuracy.

--
Cheers
Dave.