Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kettle descalent

I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my kettle
and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are now
spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 16:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my kettle
and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are now
spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

Were in North Essex - hardest water on the planet.
We use Astonish All purpose descaler in our kettle - shifts scale in
next to no time.
Get 5 goes out of a 1 litre bottle - about £1 from Savers, QD stores,
the range etc.
All Astonish products are excellent value for money - and work!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my kettle
and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are now
spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

I got a tub of citric acid crystals for this (we deduced that that was
what is in the descaler sachets). I'm pretty sure it's more economical,
and it looks like it will last for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 17:01, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my kettle
and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are now
spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

I got a tub of citric acid crystals for this (we deduced that that was
what is in the descaler sachets).Â* I'm pretty sure it's more economical,
and it looks like it will last for years.

Yep pretty much the stuff that is in the Astonish descaler.
Not sure if buying the crystals is any cheaper or worth the faff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my
kettle
and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are now
spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

I got a tub of citric acid crystals for this (we deduced that that was
what is in the descaler sachets).Â* I'm pretty sure it's more
economical, and it looks like it will last for years.

Yep pretty much the stuff that is in the Astonish descaler.
Not sure if buying the crystals is any cheaper or worth the faff.

I use citric acid crystals, too. I buy Kgs at a time, and it's not
expensive. One advantage is that it's food grade, so I know it doesn't
matter if I don't rinse it completely, apart from the drinks maybe
tasting a bit odd. (I like lemon tea, anyway!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my
kettle and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle
are now spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

I got a tub of citric acid crystals for this (we deduced that that
was what is in the descaler sachets). I'm pretty sure it's more
economical, and it looks like it will last for years.

Yep pretty much the stuff that is in the Astonish descaler.
Not sure if buying the crystals is any cheaper or worth the faff.

I have used Astonish car shampoo in the past and have been quite pleased
with the shine.
Still, my five year cheap kettle is now spotless for £2.27. I'm happy with
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 16:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my kettle
and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are now
spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

On holiday a couple of years ago, I found the kettle badly furred up. My
son didn't like the taste of tea made with the tap water, so I used
bottled water and flakes of limescale came off in the water a number of
times, so I decided to clean it out.

All I had to hand was vinegar. I put some in, boiled it, emptied it out,
rinsed a number of times and ended up with a beuatifully clean element.

I don't know if something has changed since then, but we have been back
a number of times and, up to three weeks ago, it has stayed clean.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I have tried vinegar in the past on other kettles. It did not work very
well.
As this is a diy group I was trying to be helpful and I do not think that
£2.27 delivered is not being helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 21:30, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I have a can of oust which I bought from the hardware stall on our
market some years ago. Use it on kettles and irons and still have some.
That stall seems to just have sachets now.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

In the one case I have tried it it worked well - I haven't needed it
otherwise as we live in an area with extremely soft water.

As this is a diy group I was trying to be helpful and I do not think that
£2.27 delivered is not being helpful.

I was definitely not accusing you of not being helpful, merely
suggesting an alternative that had worked for me, using materials that I
had to hand at the time and that other people likely have in the cupboard.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Steve Walker wrote:
On 19/09/2018 16:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my
kettle and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are
now spotless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...76582?iid=2328
44718053

[...]

One of the best tools for minimising the deposition of scale in the
first place is the ball of 'stainless steel wire wool'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettle-De...al-Prevent-Fur
ring-Scale-Fur-Remover-S-Steel-Wire-/253683465144
They last essentially for ever. Every week or so, to wash off the scale
that has formed on it, take it out of the kettle and crunch it up while
rinsing it under running water - or, to avoid the bits of scale going
into the drains, in a bowl of water which you then can tip out somewhere
in the garden. Then put it back. This way, the kettle only needs a light
de-scale every three or four months.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

We buy glacial acetic acid to dilute and use as clothes conditioner
(don't know why - the missus likes it). I thought it would work in a
kettle, but it didn't - even at fairly high concentrations. She's a
chemist and suggested that citric acid would be more reactive, which I
thought was surprising since it is found in citrous fruit, and now they
coat kids' sweets in it to make them sour.

As this is a diy group I was trying to be helpful and I do not think that
£2.27 delivered is not being helpful.

At 2.27, it is very helpful if you only need to do it once :-) I do
ours about once a quarter. It takes about that long for a crusty
deposit to become visible in the bottom of our kettle; and by that
stage, I feel that the efficiency is being adversely affected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 23:13:34 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

One of the best tools for minimising the deposition of scale in the
first place is the ball of 'stainless steel wire wool'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettle-De...al-Prevent-Fur
ring-Scale-Fur-Remover-S-Steel-Wire-/253683465144
They last essentially for ever. Every week or so, to wash off the scale
that has formed on it, take it out of the kettle and crunch it up while
rinsing it under running water - or, to avoid the bits of scale going
into the drains, in a bowl of water which you then can tip out somewhere
in the garden. Then put it back. This way, the kettle only needs a light
de-scale every three or four months.

I'd want to be sure that it didn't contain lead. Some 'free-cutting'
stainless steels have lead to lubricate the tool, so a large surface area
exposed to the water could be A Bad Thing.

As an aside, apparently there's some concern in the USA over lead in water
that's been inside stainless steel taps overnight. I always run off a drop
at first use - never know what might have crawled up there.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2018 07:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
And the wall of the kettle is half a mil thinner? :-)
Brian

Plastic kettle everytime. Puts more watts into the water and not the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I use citric acid crystals, too. I buy Kgs at a time, and it's not
expensive. One advantage is that it's food grade, so I know it doesn't
matter if I don't rinse it completely, apart from the drinks maybe
tasting a bit odd. (I like lemon tea, anyway!)

coffee machine manufacturers seem to recommend (or sell own brand)
descalers that are lactic acid rather than citric acid based, maybe they
have to worry about the O-rings?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 23:13:34 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

One of the best tools for minimising the deposition of scale in the
first place is the ball of 'stainless steel wire wool'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettle-De...al-Prevent-Fur
ring-Scale-Fur-Remover-S-Steel-Wire-/253683465144
They last essentially for ever. Every week or so, to wash off the scale
that has formed on it, take it out of the kettle and crunch it up while
rinsing it under running water - or, to avoid the bits of scale going
into the drains, in a bowl of water which you then can tip out somewhere
in the garden. Then put it back. This way, the kettle only needs a light
de-scale every three or four months.

I'd want to be sure that it didn't contain lead. Some 'free-cutting'
stainless steels have lead to lubricate the tool, so a large surface area
exposed to the water could be A Bad Thing.

While stainless steel obviously contains various additional elements, I
have no reason to believe that these 'wire wool' scale preventers
contain lead. They have been available for decades, and are exceeding
effective (certainly not snake oil). I would expect questions would be
being asked if there was any suspicion that they were a health risk.

As an aside, apparently there's some concern in the USA over lead in water
that's been inside stainless steel taps overnight. I always run off a drop
at first use - never know what might have crawled up there.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
[...]

Make sure you use a descaler that won't attack the device that's being
descaled. I bought a product that was advertised as being suitable for
kettles and coffee-makers (the sort which heat water and drip it onto a
filter containing the coffee grounds). I used it at the correct
concentration, for the correct time, and found that it had attacked the
metal inlet tube where the incoming water is heated as it travels to the
grounds. The first I knew was when it started to leak all over the worktop.
I got a new coffee-maker from the makers of the descaler - and the admission
that it had not been tested on that model.

I presume the heated pipe was aluminium or stainless steel. What weak acid
(probably citric) to dissolve the scale would also dissolve metal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 09:31:32 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

lots of things are health risks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/09/2018 08:31, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 20/09/2018 07:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
And the wall of the kettle is half a mil thinner? :-)
Â* Brian

Plastic kettle everytime. Puts more watts into the water and not the room.

We have a kettle that allows us to select the water temperature, 90
degrees for making coffee, 70-80 degrees for herbal tea, etc. I
persuaded myself that I can taste the difference.

Anyway, one side effect is that the kettle is far less prone to
limescale than the old stainless steel one was. I don't know whether
that's because it's plastic, because it's generally operating at a lower
temperature, or both?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 23:13, Ian Jackson wrote:

One of the best tools for minimising the deposition of scale in the
first place is the ball of 'stainless steel wire wool'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettle-De...al-Prevent-Fur
ring-Scale-Fur-Remover-S-Steel-Wire-/253683465144
They last essentially for ever. Every week or so, to wash off the scale
that has formed on it, take it out of the kettle and crunch it up while
rinsing it under running water - or, to avoid the bits of scale going
into the drains, in a bowl of water which you then can tip out somewhere
in the garden. Then put it back. This way, the kettle only needs a light
de-scale every three or four months.

Has anyone actually tested this? I assume those things are snake oil as
they only collect a small proportion of the scale.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettle-De...moval-Prevent-

Fur
ring-Scale-Fur-Remover-S-Steel-Wire-/253683465144
They last essentially for ever. Every week or so, to wash off the scale
that has formed on it, take it out of the kettle and crunch it up while
rinsing it under running water - or, to avoid the bits of scale going
into the drains, in a bowl of water which you then can tip out
somewhere in the garden. Then put it back. This way, the kettle only
needs a light de-scale every three or four months.

Has anyone actually tested this? I assume those things are snake oil as
they only collect a small proportion of the scale.

They certainly worked for us. No, they don't get it all - but they make
descaling less frequent and a lot easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my
kettle and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle
are now spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

I got a tub of citric acid crystals for this (we deduced that that
was what is in the descaler sachets). I'm pretty sure it's more
economical, and it looks like it will last for years.

Yep pretty much the stuff that is in the Astonish descaler.
Not sure if buying the crystals is any cheaper or worth the faff.

I have used Astonish car shampoo in the past and have been quite pleased
with the shine.
Still, my five year cheap kettle is now spotless for £2.27. I'm happy with
that.

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Work that one out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 11:18:20 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 19/09/2018 23:13, Ian Jackson wrote:

One of the best tools for minimising the deposition of scale in the
first place is the ball of 'stainless steel wire wool'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettle-De...al-Prevent-Fur
ring-Scale-Fur-Remover-S-Steel-Wire-/253683465144
They last essentially for ever. Every week or so, to wash off the scale
that has formed on it, take it out of the kettle and crunch it up while
rinsing it under running water - or, to avoid the bits of scale going
into the drains, in a bowl of water which you then can tip out somewhere
in the garden. Then put it back. This way, the kettle only needs a light
de-scale every three or four months.

Has anyone actually tested this? I assume those things are snake oil as
they only collect a small proportion of the scale.

they're strangely effective. I've no idea why.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Work that one out.

Less customers prefers purple kettles than the other colours. Simples.

So, make fewer purple ones in the first place. Simples.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

I live in the Chilterns, and the water here is so hard that you nearly
need to use two hands to stir a cup of tea.

The reason I'm recommending this type of scale preventer is that they
really ARE so effective. Possibly it's because the lime-scale has a
great affinity for stainless steel, or maybe it's something to with the
tight curvature of exposed surface. Whatever is, they do make a vast
difference to the rate of scale build-up on the kettle element (it's not
just a little bit), and on the inside in general. If the preventer
itself is regularly de-scaled (simply by scrunching it) it will probably
last a lifetime. Not bad for a pound or two.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 19/09/2018 16:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live in a soft water area. The other day I took a peek inside my
kettle and was disgusted.
I ordered the below. £2.27.
Okay, I did give it a few blasting, but the insides of my kettle are
now spotless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oust-Kettle...d=232844718053

Were in North Essex - hardest water on the planet.
We use Astonish All purpose descaler in our kettle - shifts scale in
next to no time.
Get 5 goes out of a 1 litre bottle - about £1 from Savers, QD stores,
the range etc.
All Astonish products are excellent value for money - and work!

I've used the Pound shop descaler in the past. The results were very poor.
A couple of quid has saved me going out to buy a new kettle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:33:25 +0100, GB wrote:

On 20/09/2018 08:31, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 20/09/2018 07:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
And the wall of the kettle is half a mil thinner? :-)
* Brian

Plastic kettle everytime. Puts more watts into the water and not the room.

We have a kettle that allows us to select the water temperature, 90
degrees for making coffee, 70-80 degrees for herbal tea, etc. I
persuaded myself that I can taste the difference.

Anyway, one side effect is that the kettle is far less prone to
limescale than the old stainless steel one was. I don't know whether
that's because it's plastic, because it's generally operating at a lower
temperature, or both?

I've the Lidl one of those. £20, nice clear PP spout, so easy to keep clean
and doesn't dribble. Week after I got it Aldi had similar at £25, all metal
and a dribblespout.
The lower temperatures will help Another change that's needed is for the
element to have much larger area to cut the intensity (area-specific
power?), then less water would be needed to avoid cavitation on boiling (and
80C+).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:53:23 +0100, NY wrote:

Make sure you use a descaler that won't attack the device that's being
descaled. I bought a product that was advertised as being suitable for
kettles and coffee-makers (the sort which heat water and drip it onto a
filter containing the coffee grounds). I used it at the correct
concentration, for the correct time, and found that it had attacked the
metal inlet tube where the incoming water is heated as it travels to the
grounds. The first I knew was when it started to leak all over the worktop.
I got a new coffee-maker from the makers of the descaler - and the admission
that it had not been tested on that model.

I presume the heated pipe was aluminium or stainless steel. What weak acid
(probably citric) to dissolve the scale would also dissolve metal?

Almost any acid, alkaline, high or low pH will attack aluminium. It's
amphoteric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoterism
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Work that one out.

Less customers prefers purple kettles than the other colours. Simples.

So, make fewer purple ones in the first place. Simples.

Mmm .... with the benefit of hindsight.

Tell market research "gradchewates" to do better research next
time before duff colour kettles bulk ordered. Simpler.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Easy, hardly anyone buys purple ones so they want to get rid of those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Work that one out.

Less customers prefers purple kettles than the other colours. Simples.

So, make fewer purple ones in the first place. Simples.

Not so simples. Easy to be wise after the event when you
see what people prefer to buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
GB Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Work that one out.

Less customers prefers purple kettles than the other colours. Simples.

So, make fewer purple ones in the first place. Simples.

Mmm .... with the benefit of hindsight.

Tell market research "gradchewates" to do better research next
time before duff colour kettles bulk ordered. Simpler.

Its never going to be possible to predict what colors people will choose to
buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/09/2018 20:41, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
GB Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Its never going to be possible to predict what colors people will choose
to buy.

It's a safe bet that red will out-sell purple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
GB Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Its never going to be possible to predict what colors people will choose
to buy.

It's a safe bet that red will out-sell purple.

Because.....
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

"Jim K" wrote in message
GB Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Its never going to be possible to predict what colors people will choose
to buy.

It's a safe bet that red will out-sell purple.

Because.....

They know the purple are being reduced to sell them. So, the next time
they order kitchen equipment they can use that knowledge. I suspect they
already had this knowledge before they over-ordered purple kettles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"Jim K" wrote in message
GB Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2018 12:06, Jim K wrote:

Sainsburys are selling Purple kettles for only about £12.

Strangely, identical lime green or red ones are £22.

Its never going to be possible to predict what colors people will choose
to buy.

It's a safe bet that red will out-sell purple.

Sure, but nothing like as easy to decide just what ratio of red to purple
you need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Troll Alert!

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 05:41:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Mmm .... with the benefit of hindsight.

Tell market research "gradchewates" to do better research next
time before duff colour kettles bulk ordered. Simpler.

Its never going to be possible to predict what colors people will choose to
buy.

Of course it is, senile Mr Know-it-all!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 04:36:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Less customers prefers purple kettles than the other colours. Simples.

So, make fewer purple ones in the first place. Simples.

Not so simples. Easy to be wise after the event when you
see what people prefer to buy.

Even easier to be smartassing ALL the time, eh, our resident senile
wisenheimer?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Quickest way to boil a kettle, in a car? Tim Downie UK diy 160 October 5th 17 03:19 AM
Electric Kettle Mick Cant UK diy 4 June 2nd 09 07:23 PM
Electric Kettle - Impedance to earth Michael Chare UK diy 6 November 18th 04 08:50 PM
Kettle semi-not working Arthur UK diy 6 October 7th 04 07:53 PM
Phillips Kettle Repair? BraileTrail UK diy 6 March 22nd 04 02:43 AM