Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Kettle

Hi all,

My electric Kettle is one that sits on a base unit.

The enclosed contacts in the base must be corroded, I have cleaned the male
pins on the kettle but despite this working before does not now.

I have tried to take the base apart but it is all clipped together.

Is there a way of cleaning them you know of or is it time for another new
kettle.

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick Cant wrote:
Hi all,

My electric Kettle is one that sits on a base unit.

The enclosed contacts in the base must be corroded, I have cleaned the male
pins on the kettle but despite this working before does not now.

I have tried to take the base apart but it is all clipped together.

Is there a way of cleaning them you know of or is it time for another new
kettle.

Mick.

The inevitable heating effect during progressive corrosion will almost
certainly have drawn the temper of the contact springs so even if
cleaned are likely to fail again soon.
Kettles are only a fiver to buy new. Go splash out!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick Cant wrote:

Hi all,

My electric Kettle is one that sits on a base unit.

The enclosed contacts in the base must be corroded, I have cleaned
the male pins on the kettle but despite this working before does not
now.
I have tried to take the base apart but it is all clipped together.

Is there a way of cleaning them you know of or is it time for another
new kettle.

Mick.

How do you know that the problem is with the contacts and not elsewhere?
Have you checked the continuity of the heating element?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:24:20 +0100
"Mick Cant" wrote:

Hi all,

My electric Kettle is one that sits on a base unit.

The enclosed contacts in the base must be corroded, I have cleaned the male
pins on the kettle but despite this working before does not now.

I have tried to take the base apart but it is all clipped together.

Is there a way of cleaning them you know of or is it time for another new
kettle.

Mick.

I just bought a new one after 30 years of the same Philips. In the
end the contacts would not stay working more than a few minutes -
temper gone. I bought an ECO Kettle, you fill it up in the morning,
and then you can just heat enough for one cup, two cups, etc..

I like it a lot, and it's heavy enough to give a good upper body
workout while making breakfast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:25:48 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:24:20 +0100
"Mick Cant" wrote:

Hi all,

My electric Kettle is one that sits on a base unit.

The enclosed contacts in the base must be corroded, I have cleaned the male
pins on the kettle but despite this working before does not now.

I have tried to take the base apart but it is all clipped together.

Is there a way of cleaning them you know of or is it time for another new
kettle.

Mick.

I just bought a new one after 30 years of the same Philips. In the
end the contacts would not stay working more than a few minutes -
temper gone. I bought an ECO Kettle, you fill it up in the morning,
and then you can just heat enough for one cup, two cups, etc..

I like it a lot, and it's heavy enough to give a good upper body
workout while making breakfast.

Yeah but , ... you run the risk of negative equity on a purchase like that.
;-)

OT - Kettle John UK diy 20 January 24th 09 06:16 PM
electric kettle- limescale? peter UK diy 11 February 8th 06 02:12 AM
De-scaling electric kettle Chris UK diy 22 August 25th 05 03:58 PM
Electric Kettle - Impedance to earth Michael Chare UK diy 6 November 18th 04 08:50 PM