Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wheelbarrow

Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

Similar to your bicycle or motor bike.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, it does not so much if it was a very thin wheel, but
as to why this is the case...
Do you remember those wheelbarrows with a ball for a wheel. They seemed a
lot less prone to eratic steering.
Its probably due to the unequal forces not being in balance and the
friction of the wheel.
It donos not happen if you pull it instead as there is less downforce.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/09/2018 16:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, it does not so much if it was a very thin wheel, but
as to why this is the case...

I think it probably works as follows:

The tread pattern of the wheel is flat where it's in contact with the
ground.
When you tilt to the right, say, the right hand side of the tread
pattern is side wall, whereas the left hand side is the centre of the
tread. The right hand side has a smaller radius from the axle, so the
circumference is smaller, compared to the centre of the tread.
So, that steers the wheel round to the right as you wheel it.

Not sure if that helps!

Do you remember those wheelbarrows with a ball for a wheel. They seemed a
lot less prone to eratic steering.
Its probably due to the unequal forces not being in balance and the
friction of the wheel.
It donos not happen if you pull it instead as there is less downforce.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 15:56:21 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

The inner side of the tire is running on a smaller radius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 16:08, FMurtz wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Similar to your bicycle or motor bike.

Nope !

Single wheel on (most) wheelbarrows . So no direction indication.

Bikes have two wheels and the turned wheel has an angled 'easy
direction' hence the two 'easy directions' are at an angle to each other
hence the bike turns.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Similar to your bicycle or motor bike.

Nope !

Single wheel on (most) wheelbarrows . So no direction indication.

Bikes have two wheels and the turned wheel has an angled 'easy
direction' hence the two 'easy directions' are at an angle to each other
Â*hence the bike turns.

In the case of the wheelbarrow its because the angle of tip is inclined
as you hold te handles higher than the wheel tread.

This puts a proportion of the tilt into the wheel as steering angle

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 15:56:21 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

The inner side of the tire is running on a smaller radius.

Still works with narrow flat wheels.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Because that points the wheel off the straight ahead line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Because the wheel is being rotated around the axis of the barrow, and
that is not horizontal. So some of the tilt simply leans it over (hence
the need for round section tyres), but some also translates into
rotation around the vertical axis, and hence gives you a steering input.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K brought next idea :
I remember my parents ancient wheelbarrow had a thin pressed metal
wheel with a thin rectangular section, probably 2 inch wide max,
solid rubber "tyre" around it, certainly not a round section
tyre. That worked the same as a more usual one around
turns.

Pneumatic i.e. round section tyres, shurely are to allow the
loaded barrow to traverse rough terrain more easily?
--

I agree - the barrow goes to the side where most of the weight is
placed, when equally balanced it goes straight. Just like a bicycle or
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/09/2018 15:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Because the wheel is being rotated around the axis of the barrow, and
that is not horizontal. So some of the tilt simply leans it over (hence
the need for round section tyres), but some also translates into
rotation around the vertical axis, and hence gives you a steering input.

I remember my parents ancient wheelbarrow had a thin pressed metal
wheel with a thin rectangular section, probably 2 inch wide max,
solid rubber "tyre" around it, certainly not a round section
tyre. That worked the same as a more usual one around
turns.

Pneumatic i.e. round section tyres, shurely are to allow the
loaded barrow to traverse rough terrain more easily?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 21:23, Jim K wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/09/2018 15:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Because the wheel is being rotated around the axis of the barrow, and
that is not horizontal. So some of the tilt simply leans it over (hence
the need for round section tyres), but some also translates into
rotation around the vertical axis, and hence gives you a steering input.

I remember my parents ancient wheelbarrow had a thin pressed metal
wheel with a thin rectangular section, probably 2 inch wide max,
solid rubber "tyre" around it, certainly not a round section
tyre. That worked the same as a more usual one around
turns.

Pneumatic i.e. round section tyres, shurely are to allow the
loaded barrow to traverse rough terrain more easily?

Indeed the pneumatic ones run much better over most types of terrain.
Having the rounded section tyre means they also do so at angles other
than vertical as well.

The solid tyre type (which are horrible things IME), run equally badly
at any angle. However that does not stop them turning since you still
have a slanted axis on the barrow and hence some vertical component of
rotation when you tilt along that axis.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:56, Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

Because the contact force between tyre and road then has a horizontal
component as well as a vertical one. If you tilt the barrow to the
right, the tyre is trying to push the road to the left - and there's an
equal and opposite force pushing the barrow to the right.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/09/2018 21:23, Jim K wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

Can't imagine any situations that the latter would be an advantage? :-)

The solid tyre type (which are horrible things IME), run equally badly
at any angle.

I don't recall it being so bad for what it was.

However that does not stop them turning since you still
have a slanted axis on the barrow and hence some vertical component of
rotation when you tilt along that axis.

Oh it still turned ok, my point was it did it without needing a
round section tyre.

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 12/09/2018 15:56, Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

Because the contact force between tyre and road then has a horizontal
component as well as a vertical one. If you tilt the barrow to the right,
the tyre is trying to push the road to the left - and there's an equal and
opposite force pushing the barrow to the right.

Thats a very small force compared with the one produced
by the weight shifting as the barrow is tilted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blimey! Senile Rot has been up and Trolling since FOUR o'clock in the Morning again! LMAO!

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:07:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Because the contact force between tyre and road then has a horizontal
component as well as a vertical one. If you tilt the barrow to the right,
the tyre is trying to push the road to the left - and there's an equal and
opposite force pushing the barrow to the right.

That¢s a very small force

You don't agree with it again, you trolling piece of senile ****?

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/09/2018 15:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Because the wheel is being rotated around the axis of the barrow, and
that is not horizontal. So some of the tilt simply leans it over (hence
the need for round section tyres),

I remember my parents ancient wheelbarrow had a thin pressed metal
wheel with a thin rectangular section, probably 2 inch wide max,
solid rubber "tyre" around it, certainly not a round section
tyre.

Dad had a barrow that was his fathers
All wooden construction except for the wheel axle , nails and a flat Iron
band which was fixed around the wooden wheel .
Almost certainly made locally and possibly by Grandad himself with the
wheel taken to a village blacksmith who would fitted the rim and produced
the axle and more than likely supplied the nails.
It was a heavy beast and I was about 10 before I could move it empty let
alone with a load.
Lasted until the early 70s when it finally succumbed to old age and made a
trip to the firewood stack, a journey it had done many times in its approx
70 year life except this one became one way.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Similar to your bicycle or motor bike.

Nope !

Single wheel on (most) wheelbarrows . So no direction indication.

Bikes have two wheels and the turned wheel has an angled 'easy
direction' hence the two 'easy directions' are at an angle to each other
Â*hence the bike turns.

In fact on a motor bike you do not turn the wheel in the direction you
want to go, you do the opposite (which makes it lean)or hold it straight
and lean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/18 07:32, FMurtz wrote:
In fact on a motor bike you do not turn the wheel in the direction you
want to go, you do the opposite (which makes it lean)or hold it straight
and lean.

Ok smart ass, get a steerig column lock on your bike and engage it
whilst riding and see how far you get 'holding it straight'

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher presented the following explanation :
On 13/09/18 07:32, FMurtz wrote:
In fact on a motor bike you do not turn the wheel in the direction you want
to go, you do the opposite (which makes it lean)or hold it straight and
lean.

Ok smart ass, get a steerig column lock on your bike and engage it whilst
riding and see how far you get 'holding it straight'

Whilst you cannot ride with the steering lock on, FMurtz is correct in
his assertion that you can turn the steering away from the direction
you are trying to go. It is a common technique. What turning away
actually does, is tighten your turning circle. Its called counter
steering. You push to the right, which allows you to lean even more to
the left and produces an even tighter left turn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 22:48, Jim K wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/09/2018 21:23, Jim K wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

I was not suggesting the round tyre was required for turning, only that
it makes keeps the barrow running smoothly when canted over at an angle.

A more square section one would tend to run more on a corner of the tyre
in the same circumstance, which would lose some of the rough ground
performance as a result.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/18 07:32, FMurtz wrote:
In fact on a motor bike you do not turn the wheel in the direction you want
to go, you do the opposite (which makes it lean)or hold it straight and
lean.

Ok smart ass, get a steerig column lock on your bike and engage it whilst
riding and see how far you get 'holding it straight'

Whilst you cannot ride with the steering lock on, FMurtz is correct in
his assertion that you can turn the steering away from the direction
you are trying to go. It is a common technique. What turning away
actually does, is tighten your turning circle. Its called counter
steering. You push to the right, which allows you to lean even more to
the left and produces an even tighter left turn.

Quite but with a wheelbarrow you have the means to balance it via the
handles. ;-)

If you aren't moving with a loaded wheelbarrow and lean it it falls
over. ;-)

So if you are moving and lean it I wonder if *you* also
(subconsciously possibly) steer to 'balance' the load?

How often do we lose balance on a wheelbarrow load when moving
compared to when we are stationary? The thought being that you have
more control over the load when moving because you can steer the load
over the COG than the sheer strength you might need to manage the same
via the handles when stopped?

If you are walking along with an empty wheelbarrow and tilt it
sideways a bit but don't change the angle between the handles and the
wheel, does it still deviate from a straight line?

What about the stunt cars that put two wheels up a ramp and then drive
at 45 degrees? What balanced, are the wheels facing straight ahead
(even though at 45 degrees to the road, and ignoring any effort to
counter slip etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/09/2018 19:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 15:56:21 UTC+1, Bill WrightÂ* wrote:
Why does tilting it make it turn a corner?

Bill

The inner side of the tire is running on a smaller radius.

Still works with narrow flat wheels.

You mean solid wheels that don't flex? In that case, think about the
edge of the wheel in contact with the ground and the axis of rotation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/09/18 07:32, FMurtz wrote:
In fact on a motor bike you do not turn the wheel in the direction you want
to go, you do the opposite (which makes it lean)or hold it straight and
lean.

Ok smart ass, get a steerig column lock on your bike and engage it whilst
riding and see how far you get 'holding it straight'

Whilst you cannot ride with the steering lock on, FMurtz is correct in
his assertion that you can turn the steering away from the direction
you are trying to go. It is a common technique. What turning away
actually does, is tighten your turning circle. Its called counter
steering. You push to the right, which allows you to lean even more to
the left and produces an even tighter left turn.

Quite but with a wheelbarrow you have the means to balance it via the
handles. ;-)

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front? The barrow would have to be
higher, or the load part would have to be shaped round the wheel, but
you could carry much more in one go, or the same load would be easier on
the back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news

On 13/09/18 07:32, FMurtz wrote:
[...]

It works better that way. Easier to negotiate rough ground etc.

The barrow would have to be higher, or the load part would have to be
shaped round the wheel, but you could carry much more in one go, or the
same load would be easier on the back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/09/2018 11:46, Rod Speed wrote:

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel
more under the load, rather than out in front?

It works better that way. Easier to negotiate rough ground etc.

Possibly. I've never tried a Chinese wheelbarrow.

"The Chinese wheelbarrow €“ which was driven by human labour, beasts of
burden and wind power €“ was of a different design than its European
counterpart. By placing a large wheel in the middle of the vehicle
instead of a smaller wheel in front, one could easily carry three to six
times as much weight than if using a European wheelbarrow."
https://www.rootsimple.com/2012/02/t...e-wheelbarrow/

The barrow would have to be higher, or the load part would have to be
shaped round the wheel, but you could carry much more in one go, or
the same load would be easier on the back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/18 07:32, FMurtz wrote:

[...]

higher COG = bad instability = harder to work with
Smaller wheel would be no good on rough ground.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that GB formulated :
Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front? The barrow would have to be higher,
or the load part would have to be shaped round the wheel, but you could carry
much more in one go, or the same load would be easier on the back.

Not common now, but they do/did a version with two wheels either side
of the load, for really heavy loads. To steer that, you had to steer it
like a push cart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 11:33:28 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

Quite but with a wheelbarrow you have the means to balance it via the
handles. ;-)

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front? The barrow would have to be
higher, or the load part would have to be shaped round the wheel, but
you could carry much more in one go, or the same load would be easier on
the back.

I guess you could still have the hoop at the front to tip things out
high enough, even if you had the wheel more under the load?

Maybe it's easier to push a load over lumps and bumps when it's slung
between two ends (less chance of it tipping out forwards)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front? The barrow would have to be
higher, or the load part would have to be shaped round the wheel, but
you could carry much more in one go, or the same load would be easier on
the back.

Having the wheel further in front especially if it has part of the frame
projecting in front of the wheel in a loop gives a point that allows a load
to be tipped higher than if the wheel sits further back, useful if you are
piling material like sand,soil ,cow dung etc onto a heap.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:46:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Quite but with a wheelbarrow you have the means to balance it via the
handles. ;-)

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front?

It works better that way. Easier to negotiate rough ground etc.

Now the senile Ozzietard quickly also became a wheelbarrow "expert"! LOL
What an asshole! LOL

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 13/09/2018 11:46, Rod Speed wrote:

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel
more under the load, rather than out in front?

It works better that way. Easier to negotiate rough ground etc.

Possibly. I've never tried a Chinese wheelbarrow.

"The Chinese wheelbarrow €“ which was driven by human labour, beasts of
burden and wind power €“ was of a different design than its European
counterpart. By placing a large wheel in the middle of the vehicle
instead of a smaller wheel in front, one could easily carry three to six
times as much weight than if using a European wheelbarrow."
https://www.rootsimple.com/2012/02/t...e-wheelbarrow/

The barrow would have to be higher, or the load part would have to be
shaped round the wheel, but you could carry much more in one go, or
the same load would be easier on the back.

Not a large wheel but we found a collapsible wheelbarrow abandoned but in
almost new condition in a shed on an allotment we took on.

Identical to this one
https://goo.gl/images/NHbevU

The wheel is set further back than in a normal barrow which means you have
to lift the handles further up than one with a wheel further forward so the
rear legs clear the ground.
And it is far less stable. I can see why it was abandoned.
It has one advantage, I can collapse it and hide it so the Other Half
doesnt use it as a temporary storage device for pot plants, compost bags
,pruning etc like she does with our two conventional ones .
Temporary seems to be at any time I have cause to move something that needs
a barrow and find them full.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front?

It works better that way. Easier to negotiate rough ground etc.

Possibly. I've never tried a Chinese wheelbarrow.

"The Chinese wheelbarrow €“ which was driven by human labour, beasts of
burden and wind power €“ was of a different design than its European
counterpart. By placing a large wheel in the middle of the vehicle instead
of a smaller wheel in front, one could easily carry three to six times as
much weight than if using a European wheelbarrow."
https://www.rootsimple.com/2012/02/t...e-wheelbarrow/

Yeah, that does work better with the heavier loads, because you arent
holding up the load at all, just preventing it from tipping over.

They basically moved on to using bicycles for those heavy loads once it was
invented and that works even better, particularly when empty coming home
etc.

And used the other approach of a thing over your shoulder with stuff
hanging off it for the lighter loads that the west used wheelbarrows
for on construction sites and when doing roads and dams etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/driyh1c4oy...be1_b.jpg?dl=0

And the Japs didnt bother with wheelbarrows at all for some reason.

The barrow would have to be higher, or the load part would have to be
shaped round the wheel, but you could carry much more in one go, or the
same load would be easier on the back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 05:40:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel more
under the load, rather than out in front?

It works better that way. Easier to negotiate rough ground etc.

Possibly. I've never tried a Chinese wheelbarrow.

"The Chinese wheelbarrow ¡V which was driven by human labour, beasts of
burden and wind power ¡V was of a different design than its European
counterpart. By placing a large wheel in the middle of the vehicle instead
of a smaller wheel in front, one could easily carry three to six times as
much weight than if using a European wheelbarrow."
https://www.rootsimple.com/2012/02/t...e-wheelbarrow/

Yeah, that does work better with the heavier loads, because you arent
holding up the load at all, just preventing it from tipping over.

Everyone here feels honoured that you finally agreed, driveling senile
asshole! BG

FLUSH the rest of your usual self-opinionated crap unread again

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2018 12:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that GB formulated :
Speaking of which, why isn't a builder's barrow made with the wheel
more under the load, rather than out in front? The barrow would have
to be higher, or the load part would have to be shaped round the
wheel, but you could carry much more in one go, or the same load would
be easier on the back.

Not common now, but they do/did a version with two wheels either side of
the load, for really heavy loads. To steer that, you had to steer it
like a push cart.

My parents got one of those when I was a kid.

The first limiting factor was traction. On anything other than really
flat ground I couldn't move it at all.

The second limiting factor was - once or twice I'd got it moving OK, and
hit a big bump. The handle shot up in the air, taking me with it, and it
dumped its entire contents on the ground...

Andy