Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default victorian downpipe joints

Should the top part of a cast iron down pipe sit loosely within the lower part
of the pipe? The lower part of the pipe has been raised above the drain but
should flow down into the drain: should we fit a "shoe"?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1313520-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2018 16:14, Oneofthetwo wrote:
Should the top part of a cast iron down pipe sit loosely within the
lower part
of the pipe?

You mean where one section of cat iron pipe ends and joins to the next?

The joints need to be sealed. This was traditionally done by winding
cord around the male end of the pipe before inserting into the socket to
create a seal around the bottom of the socket, then mortar or mastic
used to fill the socket (the cord providing enough seal to stop the
mortar falling into the pipe and going down the drain)

The lower part of the pipe has been raised above the drain
but
should flow down into the drain: should we fit a "shoe"?

Depends on how well shaped the gully is, and whether water will splash
back against the wall making it damp.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 16:14:09 UTC+1, Oneofthetwo wrote:
Should the top part of a cast iron down pipe sit loosely within the lower part
of the pipe? The lower part of the pipe has been raised above the drain but
should flow down into the drain: should we fit a "shoe"?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1313520-.htm

Cast iron down pipe should be installed from the top down. This to ensure there is a clearance to allow for expansion.
The joints were sealed with a tarred rope called Gaskin. Dunno if it's still available.
You could use some modern flexible sealant I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/18 06:56, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 16:14:09 UTC+1, Oneofthetwo wrote:
Should the top part of a cast iron down pipe sit loosely within the lower part
of the pipe? The lower part of the pipe has been raised above the drain but
should flow down into the drain: should we fit a "shoe"?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1313520-.htm

Cast iron down pipe should be installed from the top down. This to ensure there is a clearance to allow for expansion.
The joints were sealed with a tarred rope called Gaskin. Dunno if it's still available.
You could use some modern flexible sealant I suppose.

I thought many were done by hammering in lead slivers?