Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I remove downpipe on mid terraced Victorian cottage?

I'm 3rd of a terrace of 7, cottages sited on a farm track. Cottage no.
7 has a downpipe on the corner - so just the two. My downpipe does a
right angle away from the house and is just is half buried in the
ground - it currently and stops just outside my gate - I've been told
there's no soakaway in the farm track. Its half full of silt right
now.

I'm going to dig up the grass and lay a patio area. Can I just take
the downpipe away - is that allowed? might it cause problems for
everyone else? If not - I assume its OK to submerge it deeper in the
ground below the proposed patio area?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

eden wrote:
I'm 3rd of a terrace of 7, cottages sited on a farm track. Cottage no.
7 has a downpipe on the corner - so just the two. My downpipe does a
right angle away from the house and is just is half buried in the
ground - it currently and stops just outside my gate - I've been told
there's no soakaway in the farm track. Its half full of silt right
now.

I'm going to dig up the grass and lay a patio area. Can I just take
the downpipe away - is that allowed? might it cause problems for
everyone else? If not - I assume its OK to submerge it deeper in the
ground below the proposed patio area?

Unless the gutter is of a sufficient size to carry the whole flow of water
(especially in a very heavy downpour), then it would inadvisable to remove
your downpipe - especially if any overflow of water off the roof causes
damage to other properties (for which you may have to pay for).

As for laying a pipe under the patio - this would be ok providing that the
water can easily flow away from its outlet and access is available to clear
any blockages that may occur.