Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Victorian Terraced houses

I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:42:49 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.

Different builders?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.

Different builders?

Ran out of money after the first row?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side
of the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

They're the posh side? ;-)

In my Victorian street in London all the pairs of semis are slightly
different although occupying the same sized plots. Bay windows or not.
Ground floor only one. Different stone mouldings. Different bricks. some
flat roof rear additions, some sloping. So different builders. Many
differences on the insides, too.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.

Ooh, I don't know - maybe there's nothing on the telly? you haven't got
a magazine or book to read? Your broadband connection's gone down?
Could be any number of reasons really...

Dvaid

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

====================
Snob value.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.

The fancy houses cost more, yours had the block replaced later, the fancy
arcitecture manufacturer put their prices up or went out of business, the
fellow who did the carving retired or died, fashions changed, no-one noticed
the fancy bit so the builder cut the expense, the fancy bit was on the
builder's own house, the fancy bit was on the house opposite the builder's own
house so that he could see it, putting the fancy bits it broke the sandstone,
Part Q of the regulations demanded that the block be a plain flat device ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

It may be what was available at the time.

On out street, one side was built pre-war, the other post-war, both to the
same floor plans. However, there are differences.

The pre-war houses have a row of soldiers over the windows and the post-war
ones have concrete lintels. The bricks in the pre-war houses are harder and
smoother and have stood the test of time much better (they are also much
harder to drill/cut!). The same applies to the roofing tiles, none of the
pre-war houses have had to be re-tiled so far, but almost all the post-war
roofing tiles have been replaced and those that have'nt need to be. The
quality of the timber in the pre-war houses is also far superior to the
timber used in the post-war houses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

I happen to know the story of my street. The builder started at the "town"
side at the main road end and started building. As it progressed, he got
more and more ambitious. We have one of the few terraced houses built in
1909. It then goes onto semis, that get larger and larger. By 1911, he was
coming back the other way on the country side of the road. By the time he
got opposite us again, he was building large semis with 3 receptions and
preconverted lofts. Clearly the original houses were profitable enough for
his increasing ambition.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.
Why is this? anyone got the answer.

Interesting subject. My parent's house (not victorian) and others
nearby are
similar, but very slightly different. E.g. the division between master
bed / "box" room
varies affecting the sizing of the rooms (not a later alteration)
Apparently some builders liked to express their individuality.
The house my parents live in is bigger than all the others nearby.
Apparently it was the house that the builder lived in !
Also an local district has big victorian houses on all the corners, and
terraced up
the street. The factory bosses lived on the corners, the workers in
terraces !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Interesting subject. My parent's house (not victorian) and others
nearby are
similar, but very slightly different. E.g. the division between master
bed / "box" room
varies affecting the sizing of the rooms (not a later alteration)

In mine, a Victorian semi, the stairs to the attic room are conventional
and the same as the others.

Next door (the other half of the semi) has a door in a wall and open
stairs up to the attic.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fuxit

Why is this? anyone got the answer.

It's simply that you live on the wrong side of the tracks!

Putting fences/walls up on open-fronted houses ChasesDragons UK diy 16 November 18th 05 06:53 PM
Sound proofing terraced house. andrewpreece UK diy 9 January 8th 05 03:54 PM
Old houses, where to run wiring John Smith UK diy 15 August 10th 04 01:01 AM
UK vs Australian Houses WhingingPom UK diy 3 April 1st 04 10:26 AM
U values for older houses ? Paul(Retired) UK diy 4 September 10th 03 03:37 PM