Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-skimming rounded Victorian wall-corners with wooden corner piece - remove?

Another question for you folks, if you don't mind. I'm currently
having the plaster in my lounge re-skimmed as part of redecoration,
and the plasterer has asked whether I want to retain the rounded
cornering on the flue edges and the bay window corners, or replace
them with modern metal cornering ready for skimming to a sharp corner.

Now, I appreciate the retention of classic features, but also
understand the practicality of modern solutions. But would I be doing
the house a disservice by replacing the wooden rounded cornering with
metal cornering? Are the any structural improvements gained by using
the modern cornering or is the rounded wooden cornering just fine?
I've noticed the old plaster has began to crumble away in places at
the corner around the wood, but would this happen again after re-
skimming?

Would the wooden cornering have to removed completely or could the
plasterer just put the metal cornering over the top and skim over
that?

I'm inclined to just leave the wooden cornering in place and have the
plasterer just skim over it and make a smooth corner as best he can -
to retain the look and feel of the original shape, and keep it in
character with other rooms with similar rounded corners. Any problems
you foresee in doing this?

Again, any help gratefully received.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 2:15 pm, "Chris" wrote:
[...]

Keep the round corner. The plaster may not stick too well to it, but
the plasterer can put a strip of metal lath over it if he's not happy
- it's basically the same stuff as an angle bead but without the rigid
corner bit, so it will bend round. Comes on a roll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 3:35 pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 10, 2:15 pm, "Chris" wrote:

[...]

No it isn't. The pre expanded metal bead days used wooden dowels to
set up corners and wall edges for plasterers. They were nailed to
wedges in the wall. Altogether a time consuming job.

If the wedges have come loose they need refixing or maybe they can be
bonded to the wall with PVA and plaster.

The rounded features gives a room a lot more character that is only
recognisable subconciously. A sort of warmer, softer feel. It suits
oranges and yellows much better than strong sharp square edges which
suit the more clinical whites and creams of modern mass production.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Use square metal beads only if you buy your furniture at Ikea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 5:51 pm, "Weatherlawyer" wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:35 pm, "

wrote:
On Mar 10, 2:15 pm, "Chris" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll try to keep the rounded edges. No
point in spoiling the period features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Mar 10, 2:15 pm, "Chris" wrote:

having the plaster in my lounge re-skimmed as part of redecoration,
and the plasterer has asked whether I want to retain the rounded
cornering on the flue edges and the bay window corners, or replace
them with modern metal cornering ready for skimming to a sharp corner.

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll try to keep the rounded edges. No
point in spoiling the period features.

A rounded corner is far tougher wearing than a square corner, as well
as character in keeping with the building.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks folks. The replastering is complete, and although some odd
spots needed a bit of sanding, a couple of coats of paint ought to
cover the corners nicely. Thanks for all your help.