Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default corrugated plastic shed roof

I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk expressed precisely :
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Unless the clear plastic is essential, I would look at using modern box
section steel roofing and replace the lot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2018 11:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Adam Funk expressed precisely :
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes.* A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it.* Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Unless the clear plastic is essential, I would look at using modern box
section steel roofing and replace the lot.

You might get a sense for how "brittle" the plastic has become by
bending bits around the hole. IME it lasts reasonably well but is not
particularly strong in impact: I've just replaced a similar roof in a
lean-to under some trees; in the winter storms bits of branch an inch
diameter and a couple of feet long are heavy enough to crack or puncture
it. What I went for was this sort of stuff

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Inch-Co...AOSwQ0RbGnk k

(or just search eBay for corrugated fibreglass sheet)

which is a bit more expensive, but is much tougher.

In your case, though, I would think about just replacing the panel. Or
even just gluing a bit of sheet underneath the damage. Use clear
silicone from a cartridge gun, make sure there is a sealing bead all
around the hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you need to test it, but that stuff is pretty brittle to start with,
so it won't have improved. I had some on a garage and it went milky white
before it started to splinter.
How have you secured it? I found that you need a big area to hold it down
or winds tend to rip them right off if there are too small and not enough
fixing points. Surely by now somebody has made a more stable plastic?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 September 2018 11:45:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Thanks.

It's not supposed to be affected by UV but I think it is.
Some makes has to be put on the "right way up" as only one side is UV proof.
I would repair it with weatherproof tape for now & see what happens.
You can get clear outdoor tape (intended for tunnel greenhouses) or use Flashband.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Adam Funk expressed precisely :
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Unless the clear plastic is essential, I would look at using modern box
section steel roofing and replace the lot.

Do you have link for an example of that?

I'll patch it for now & replace the whole roof in the spring --- it's
not an enormous shed.

I like the clear plastic because it makes the inside well lit during
the day, but I suppose it does subject the contents to more heat and
UV exposure during the summer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Adam Funk expressed precisely :
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Unless the clear plastic is essential, I would look at using modern box
section steel roofing and replace the lot.

Do you have link for an example of that?

You can find it online (including Ebay) easily - just look for box
profile roofing sheets.

You can also consider the version with insulation on the back - both
keeping the heat out in the summer and preventing condensation for the
rest of the year.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Adam Funk expressed precisely :
I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the
corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a
ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in
it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I
think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over
time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how
it goes?

Unless the clear plastic is essential, I would look at using modern box
section steel roofing and replace the lot.

Do you have link for an example of that?

You can find it online (including Ebay) easily - just look for box
profile roofing sheets.

Thanks --- googling that turned up some things that were less
expensive than I'd expected.

You can also consider the version with insulation on the back - both
keeping the heat out in the summer and preventing condensation for the
rest of the year.

I guess this stuff is much more durable than the clear plastic. I'm
used to having natural light in the shed during the day, but I could
put brighter lights inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

You can usually buy translucent panels with the same profile to allow
for natural light through part of the roof.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y