davy

Default Cutting Corrugated plastic roof material

Hi,

I need to repair the Corrugated plastic roof on an outside lean-to.

The old roof is old and very brittle (One good jump and I think the cat
will go straight through the roof). Anyway, I need to buy some new
corrugated plastic , but can't work out how to cut the new material so
that it doesn't shatter and splinter. Any ideas?

thanks for any help

regards

Davy

O.B.

Use a fine cut handsaw. Support both sides of the cut edge.
Don't buy the thinnest roofing plastic you can get

O.B.

Use a fine cut handsaw. Support both sides of the cut edge.
Don't buy the thinnest roofing plastic you can get

AlexW

O.B. wrote:
Use a fine cut handsaw. Support both sides of the cut edge.
Don't buy the thinnest roofing plastic you can get

Yup. Worked for me.

Don't bother with jigsaws etc, unfortunately these don't work very well.

Alex.
Aidan

davy wrote:
can't work out how to cut the new material so

Angle grinder; seriously.

AlexW

Aidan wrote:
davy wrote:

can't work out how to cut the new material so

Angle grinder; seriously.

I considered this after the fact.

As I have done drains/downpipes with grinders ... does it work well?
What blade type is best?

Cheers,

Alex
Harry Bloomfield

on 08/08/2005, AlexW supposed :
Aidan wrote:
davy wrote:

can't work out how to cut the new material so

Angle grinder; seriously.

I considered this after the fact.

As I have done drains/downpipes with grinders ... does it work well? What
blade type is best?

Cheers,

Alex

A thin metal cutting blade.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

raden

In message .com, davy
writes
Hi,

I need to repair the Corrugated plastic roof on an outside lean-to.

The old roof is old and very brittle (One good jump and I think the cat
will go straight through the roof). Anyway, I need to buy some new
corrugated plastic , but can't work out how to cut the new material so
that it doesn't shatter and splinter. Any ideas?

Pay a few more pennies for some twinwall, it lasts much longer (and it's
easier to cut)

--
geoff
Aidan

AlexW wrote:

As I have done drains/downpipes with grinders ... does it work well?

I think so; it won't 'grab' the material and bend or crack it. It
shreds it into fine swarf, Some of the swarf melts and sticks to the
sheet along the edges of the cut, but comes away easily.

What blade type is best?

I just used whatever was in the grinder. I think it was a masonry disc
last time, but I don't think it matters much.

Aidan wrote:

davy wrote:
can't work out how to cut the new material so

Angle grinder; seriously.

What I found worked very well was a Dremel (actually a cheapo
lookalike) with one of those tiny little 1/2" diameter saws in it.

--
Chris Green