philly

Default Cutting Plastic Laminate

What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips about 2" in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

Joseph Meehan

philly wrote:
What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips
about 2" in width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

A fine tooth run at a very slow speed with good backing under the
laminate and a good straight edge.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

DanG

This is not a saber saw.

If you want lots of super accurate strips from sheets of plastic
laminate, you need one of these:

Virutex slitter:
http://www.247shopping-mall.com/univ...tCategories=14

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips
about 2" in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

SQLit

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips about 2"

in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

I use my table saw with a fine blade

Martik

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips about 2"
in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Use a carbide tipped tool to scribe thru the color coat, then snap apart

or

Use a straight router bit

Are you using the strips for the edge of the countertop?

If so, you can trim the top edge with a router flush trim bit using the
countertop as a guide

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:03:26 GMT "philly"
posted:

What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips about 2" in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

I've never done this, and I have to do it this winter or spring, and
I'm scaared of doing it, but in addition to what the others said
regarding use of a saw, I've heard that it's good to put tape** on the
line you wish to cut. That that helps keep it from cracking or
chipping.

**What tape is best? 1 inch masking tape?

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Joseph Meehan

philly wrote:
Yes, the strips would be used as counter top edging.

OK Martik got to the core of the matter. Follow his advice.Cutting the
strips themselves should not require to much precision. You have had some
good advice on that. I do suggest that a saber saw would not be the best
tool as others have noted however.

Philly
"Martik" wrote in message
> [...]

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips
about 2" in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Use a carbide tipped tool to scribe thru the color coat, then snap
apart

or

Use a straight router bit

Are you using the strips for the edge of the countertop?

If so, you can trim the top edge with a router flush trim bit using
the countertop as a guide

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Duane Bozarth

meirman wrote:

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:03:26 GMT "philly"
posted:

What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips about 2" in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

I've never done this, and I have to do it this winter or spring, and
I'm scaared of doing it, but in addition to what the others said
regarding use of a saw, I've heard that it's good to put tape** on the
line you wish to cut. That that helps keep it from cracking or
chipping.

**What tape is best? 1 inch masking tape?

W/ a sharp fine tooth laminate blade on a saw inline and sawing so the
teeth exit the back side it's not necessary but masking tape can be used
if you wish. Simply cut slightly oversize and trim final w/ sharp,
small diameter trim router bit. Go to the local salvage supply and get
a sheet of scrap and practice before you start on your brand new full
sheet. Some of the less expensive brands other than Formica tend to
chip much worse. Beginners may best avoid them although as noted using
smaller diameter cutters is basically the solution. Also your trim bits
as well as your saw blades need to be very sharp for really good
results...the cheap imports are definitely not a bargain here...
Martik

"meirman" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair on Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:03:26 GMT "philly"
posted:

What's the best sabre saw model to use for cutting narrow strips about 2"
in
width from full 8 foot sheets of laminate?

Philly

I've never done this, and I have to do it this winter or spring, and
I'm scaared of doing it, but in addition to what the others said
regarding use of a saw, I've heard that it's good to put tape** on the
line you wish to cut. That that helps keep it from cracking or
chipping.

**What tape is best? 1 inch masking tape?

You don't need any damn tape, just scribe thru the color and snap on a
straightedge. It's very simple! Put the edges on first, align flush at the
bottom edge and let the top edge overhang, then trim the top flush with a
router trim bit. Test fit the top piece and file down any areas that do not
fit flush. Irregularities on the surface will cause this. Don't forget to
file all the bottom edges flush + slight bevel below drawers as they can
easily chip. Email me if you want more details