Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When were aerated breeze blocks first used?

I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/18 19:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Think my parents house was buoilt with something like that in the 50s.
Coal cinder block. But the later foamy sort are more 1970s IIRC

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 19:30:48 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.
--
Roland Perry

Aerated and breeze blocks are two different things. What are you talking about?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/09/18 19:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Think my parents house was buoilt with something like that in the 50s.
Coal cinder block. But the later foamy sort are more 1970s IIRC

I'd go for 70's too.
My place built 1925 used 3" coal cinder blocks on the inner skin and
partition walls.
They did not realise then how opaque they would be to wifi signals!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 20:01:16 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/09/18 19:27, Roland Perry wrote:

I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Think my parents house was buoilt with something like that in the 50s.
Coal cinder block. But the later foamy sort are more 1970s IIRC

I'd go for 70's too.
My place built 1925 used 3" coal cinder blocks on the inner skin and
partition walls.
They did not realise then how opaque they would be to wifi signals!

but they were thoughtful enough to fit twisted pair wiring.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 20:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Aerated concrete and ash blocks have been around since the 1950s, a
house I lived in built in the 50s had them.

There are other types, which may be later/earlier.

Of course, assuming they are the 1950s type, the work could be much later.

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 19:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

The patents for aerated concrete blocks were taken out in Sweden in
1924. Production started, again in Sweden, in 1929.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/09/2018 22:14, Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/09/2018 20:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Aerated concrete and ash blocks have been around since the 1950s, a
house I lived in built in the 50s had them.

There are other types, which may be later/earlier.

Of course, assuming theyÂ* are the 1950s type, the work could be much later.

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

I have certainly seen them in 50s buildings.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 10:12:06 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
[...]

There are still loads of terraced houses with no dividing wall in the loft. It's a fire & security issue being addressed very slowly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 23:14:11 on Sat, 8 Sep 2018,
Brian Reay remarked:

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

Yes, whole terraces of houses were built with one contiguous attic
space. The introduction of dividing walls is more about fire precautions
than stopping your neighbours paying a visit I think.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
11:57:34 on Sat, 8 Sep 2018, harry
remarked:
It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Aerated and breeze blocks are two different things. What are you talking about?

The ones at that url.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/18 10:57, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:14:11 on Sat, 8 Sep 2018,
Brian Reay remarked:

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

Yes, whole terraces of houses were built with one contiguous attic
space. The introduction of dividing walls is more about fire precautions

And noise/privacy these days.

than stopping your neighbours paying a visit I think.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/18 10:59, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
11:57:34 on Sat, 8 Sep 2018, harry remarked:
It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Aerated and breeze blocks are two different things. What are you
talking about?

The ones at that url.

I've seen those used in 70s buildings for sure.

Wiki sez this:

The history of foam concrete dates back to the early 1920s and the
production of autoclaved aerated concrete, which was used mainly as
insulation. A detailed study concerning the composition, physical
properties and production of foamed concrete was first carried out in
the 1950s and 60s. Following this research, new admixtures were
developed in the late 1970s and early 80s, which led to the commercial
use of foamed concrete in construction projects. Initially, it was used
in the Netherlands for filling voids and for ground stabilisation.
Further research carried out in the Netherlands helped bring about the
more widespread use of foam concrete as a building material.

So I reckon that what that is is not the 1920s stuff, but the late
70s/80s onwards stuff.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 22:14, Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/09/2018 20:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Aerated concrete and ash blocks have been around since the 1950s, a
house I lived in built in the 50s had them.

There are other types, which may be later/earlier.

Of course, assuming theyÂ* are the 1950s type, the work could be much later.

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

The true "lightweight" blocks are made from PFA. or pulverated fuel ash
as produced by "modern" coal fired stations where coal is "milled" into
a very fine powder in large ball or roller mills before being blown into
the boilers using something not unlike an oil or gas burner. IIRC it was
normally ignited by oil burners. Kingston upon Thames, opened in 1948,
must have been one of the last "chain grate" stations in the UK. As the
name suggests, "bulk" coal is burned on a moving grate.

I think Croyden B, from about the same period, used Pulverised Fuel.

PFA is collected from the electrostatic precipitators and washed into
lagoons where it settles. It would first have been available in large
quantities from the 1950's but I think it started being exploited more
seriously in the 1960's.

Amazingly, according to Wikipedia, the US trialed PF burning in 1918.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry writes:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

You're not looking at the same Facebook post I've been commenting on,
are you?
1920's house where inner skin of gable wall is modern thermal blocks,
and still has added timber framework which held up the roof when the
gable wall wasn't there. Reason gable wall was rebuilt is unknown.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2018 11:42, newshound wrote:
[...]

The dash for gas, solar and wind is going to muck up the building
industry at some point then.

Maybe the luddite UK building trades will drag themselves kicking
and screaming into the modern era and use SIPP panels with cladding
like they do in many other countries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/09/2018 10:59, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
11:57:34 on Sat, 8 Sep 2018, harry remarked:
It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

Aerated and breeze blocks are two different things. What are you
talking about?

The ones at that url.

A bit bleeding obvious IMHO.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 19:27, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm trying to date some work on a house (c1920), specifically a dividing
wall in the attic space between two semis.

It's been made of quite new-looking aerated blocks - the ones with the
zig-zag scribe marks on the side.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...HCelconSolarAe
ratedblock.jpg

What's the oldest that they could possibly be? To the nearest decade,
perhaps.

I would have said 1950's at the very earliest, but didn't become common
until 1960's,

They are made from PFA, pulverised fuel ash from coal fired power
stations. We were still building chain grate stations post-WW2
(Kinsgston upon Thames), but I think Croyden B (similar age) may have
burned pulverised coal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

The dash for gas, solar and wind is going to muck up the building
industry at some point then.

About the last five years ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Our first house built in the early seventies had breeze blocks for some internal walls however a neighbour got hold of some concrete blocks that appeared to be constructed with wood chips mixed in which as soon as they got wet just seem to disintegrate of course the fool built a garden wall then wondered why it fell down. I have never seen anything like them since.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 11:42:32 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

the boilers using something not unlike an oil or gas burner. IIRC it was
normally ignited by oil burners. Kingston upon Thames, opened in 1948,
must have been one of the last "chain grate" stations in the UK. As the
name suggests, "bulk" coal is burned on a moving grate.

I once visited the Kingston power station and saw the chain grate in
operation. The coal was broken up into small pieces, probably about
the size of an OXO cube, spread in a surprisingly thin layer on the
moving grate.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 22:15:40 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Our first house built in the early seventies had breeze blocks for some internal walls however a neighbour got hold of some concrete blocks that appeared to be constructed with wood chips mixed in which as soon as they got wet just seem to disintegrate of course the fool built a garden wall then wondered why it fell down. I have never seen anything like them since.

Richard

Presumably if the woodchips are soaked before casting the blocks would then survive wetting.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2018 22:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Our first house built in the early seventies had breeze blocks for some internal walls however a neighbour got hold of some concrete blocks that appeared to be constructed with wood chips mixed in which as soon as they got wet just seem to disintegrate of course the fool built a garden wall then wondered why it fell down. I have never seen anything like them since.

Richard

ISTR there was a sort of insulation block that looked like this: same
sort of size as a concrete block and a bit like sterling board but with
a very open structure. You were not meant to get them wet!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 23:14:11 on Sat, 8 Sep 2018,
Brian Reay remarked:

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

Yes, whole terraces of houses were built with one contiguous attic
space. The introduction of dividing walls is more about fire precautions
than stopping your neighbours paying a visit I think.

It was a storyline in Coronation St 30+ years ago. Hilda Ogden
referred to it as the cockloft, I don't know if that was strictly
accurate.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

ISTR there was a sort of insulation block that looked like this: same
sort of size as a concrete block and a bit like sterling board but with
a very open structure. You were not meant to get them wet!

These https://www.durisoluk.com ?

Have seen them at various housebuilding shows, I think also a video on
youtube where someone showed they survived being kept underwater
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2018 22:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Our first house built in the early seventies had breeze blocks for some internal walls however a neighbour got hold of some concrete blocks that appeared to be constructed with wood chips mixed in which as soon as they got wet just seem to disintegrate of course the fool built a garden wall then wondered why it fell down. I have never seen anything like them since.

Richard

My 1976 semi has a party wall made of heavy concrete 'breeze'
blocks, while the inner skin of the outside walls are 4 inch
blocks with vertical oblong-shaped holes right though them.

Whereever these were chased for wiring they have broken into
the hole leaving just a quarter of the width of the original
block providing support.

All the inner partition walls are 3 inch blocks made of concrete
with what looks like straw mixed in with the concrete mix.
They have appalling accoustic properties, acting more like
microphones and amplifying any impact knocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 08/09/18 22:14, Brian Reay wrote:

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no dividing
walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

Quite likely in anything built before 1920s.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 20:19:24 on Mon, 10 Sep
2018, DJC remarked:

I believe, at one time, it wasn't unknown for there to be no
dividing walls in some roof spaces, or for them to be incomplete.

Quite likely in anything built before 1920s.

And I think first mandated in London.

I was just looking at when such a retro-fitted dividing wall might have
been built, in the provinces, and it seems "anything from maybe the 50's
onwards".

--
Roland Perry

Breeze blocks and No Nails Lawrence Zarb UK diy 4 February 20th 07 06:58 PM
aerated blocks for load bearing walls? [email protected] UK diy 1 May 8th 06 07:01 PM
Breeze blocks Jon W UK diy 8 January 5th 05 09:46 AM
Concrete blocks: medium density or aerated type? Lobster UK diy 6 June 11th 04 07:14 PM
Breeze blocks Cicero UK diy 6 March 18th 04 10:15 PM