Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default TV audio improvement for a slightly deaf person

I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

www.hearingloss.org.uk is one place to visit.

I suspect this is the RNID anyway and they sell hearing
amplifiers and other hearing-related goodies.

Unless she lives in a detached property, a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

OTOH if she has been watching some recent BBC1 series where
the lead actor had decided that whispering huskily is the cool
way to act, then it's the program at fault, and not her hearing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 14:41:51 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

Some TVs have a "Equaliser" function in the Sound/Audio part of the
Menu.

If her TV has that you could experiment by increasing and decreasing the
volumes of various frequencies.

My TVs have an Equaliser function with separate volume controls for
100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz and 10kHz.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 14:41:54 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

One alternative to headphones is a speaker very close to the listener's head.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
GB GB is offline

On 04/09/2018 14:59, Andrew wrote:

Unless she lives in a detached property, a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

On most TVs the built-in speakers are on the back facing away from the
viewer. A sound bar faces the right way plus it's probably miles better
quality, so it doesn't necessarily have to be louder to help.

These days, for foreign language programmes (ie anything recorded in the
USA), I use subtitles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Subtitles?

Adjust the TV equaliser settings?

Persuade her that headphones are cool?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

Techmoan tested the Sony SRS-LSR100 recently and was quite impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3hKbl9f-U&t=657s

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 16:34:10 +0100, GB
wrote:

These days, for foreign language programmes (ie anything recorded in the
USA), I use subtitles.

Mum (88) doesn't watch much TV, mainly because she can't hear it ...
or can't hear it completely / easily and doesn't want to upset her
nexdoor neighbours by having the TV very loud.

So, when we go round there and I'm watching TV whilst the Mrs plays
Rummikub with her, if they finish and Mum ends up watching some TV, I
turn the subtitles on and I notice how much more 'involved' she is (to
the point where she seems quite hooked on the program).

What she doesn't seem to do is turn the TV on herself and that's a
shame as I know there are tings she would (has, when I've been there)
actually enjoy (like gardening programs or the news etc).

I'll have to check that she an turn the TV on, use the EPG and can
change the source if it comes up on the DVD / NowTV.

We have some PC external speakers on there all the time (we often
watch films when we are round there house-sitting) but I'm not sure if
they offer much clearer audio (but better bass and image width).

I have a spare soundbar so might take that round there and see how it
works.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Well if the gadget does not work, are we sure its been used correctly? Its
normally a portable induction loop. Often the problem is that assuming its
the same as some I've seen elsewhere the gadget not only has volume
controls, but also tone controls to help boost the part of the spectrum
which is low.
I remember once trying to share one of these with two deaf people,
unfortunately one wanted more top and the other more bass, and we could not
find a happy medium.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that deaf
but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly with very
poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She tried a gadget
she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound into the hearing
aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful. She doesn't want to
wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or computer speakers or
whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, I don't think the ones with microphones are much good. The problem is
it really needs to be right up to the speaker but on these modern tellies
they are at the back.
I suspect a pair of very good computer speakers and mute the internal sound
and maybe a Y splitter on its input to put the audio into the loop might be
better, but I'm not up to speed how these cope with stereo. Often this kind
of tech has not moved with the times since about 1970.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/18 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

When last was her hearing aid adjusted?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 14:41:51 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

It would help to know what outputs the TV has and how up market it is.
Also, where does she sit to watch the TV; is it always the same chair or
sofa?

If it has Bluetooth then there are loads of Bluetooth speakers available
(including sound bars).

I was mainly thinking of having a speaker next to where she sits, on her
better side. That way she gets the sound up close and personal and doesn't
have to have it too loud. Alternatively positioned just behind her on a
shelf or bracket if she sits with her back to a wall.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 17:18, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I don't think the ones with microphones are much good. The problem is
it really needs to be right up to the speaker but on these modern tellies
they are at the back.

Surely they never use microphones? I would have thought they either use
audio via wire or optical fibre, or Bluetooth (with possible problems
with pairing and/or sync).

I suspect a pair of very good computer speakers and mute the internal sound
and maybe a Y splitter on its input to put the audio into the loop might be
better, but I'm not up to speed how these cope with stereo. Often this kind
of tech has not moved with the times since about 1970.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote:

I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly.

Mr Techmoan seemed to like this remote speaker ...

https://youtu.be/bn3hKbl9f-U

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/18 17:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
but also tone controls to help boost the part of the spectrum
which is low

Induction loops shouldn't need this, because the hearing aid already
does this, even when using an alternative source.

Note that you can buy bluetooth adaptors for modern hearing aids. This
is even true of NHS ones, at least for Oticon branded ones.

I think the reason that most of these solutions use a microphone is
because they are being used by people who have difficulty with new
technology. She's actually lucky that T is enabled at all, as it is
common to disable all the controls for older users.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Bill Wright
writes

I'm wondering about a sound bar or computer speakers or whatever. Ideas
anyone?

We had a similar discussion a year or three ago, after which I bought a
sound bar, and although we don't watch much TV, when we do, I find
sound, particularly speech, from the bar to be easier to hear than the
built in flat screen TV speakers, at the same volume.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 14:59, Andrew wrote:

Unless she lives in a detached property,

She does

a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

I don't think she needs much more volume, just an improvement in sound
quality.

OTOH if she has been watching some recent BBC1 series where
the lead actor had decided that whispering huskily is the cool
way to act, then it's the program at fault, and not her hearing.

That is a factor, for sure.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 15:01, Peter Duncanson wrote:

Some TVs have a "Equaliser" function in the Sound/Audio part of the
Menu.

If her TV has that you could experiment by increasing and decreasing the
volumes of various frequencies.

That's an idea. I'll check up on the telly.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 17:09, Reentrant wrote:
On 04/09/2018 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very
successful. She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a
sound bar or computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

Techmoan tested the Sony SRS-LSR100 recently and was quite impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3hKbl9f-U&t=657s

That looks very promising.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 17:39, Richard wrote:
On 04/09/18 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very
successful. She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a
sound bar or computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

When last was her hearing aid adjusted?

That's a very good question. Cheers.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 17:45, David wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 14:41:51 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

It would help to know what outputs the TV has and how up market it is.

I'll have to look into that I suppose.

Also, where does she sit to watch the TV; is it always the same chair or
sofa?

Yes.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/09/2018 18:33, David Woolley wrote:
On 04/09/18 17:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
but also tone controls to help boost the part of the spectrum
which is low

Induction loops shouldn't need this, because the hearing aid already
does this, even when using an alternative source.

Note that you can buy bluetooth adaptors for modern hearing aids.* This
is even true of NHS ones, at least for Oticon branded ones.

I think the reason that most of these solutions use a microphone is
because they are being used by people who have difficulty with new
technology.* She's actually lucky that T is enabled at all, as it is
common to disable all the controls for older users.

She's not old, and is quite techy. She was teaching basic computer use
to adults until recently. She doesn't know anything about audio gadgets
though.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 00:21:42 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:

OTOH if she has been watching some recent BBC1 series where
the lead actor had decided that whispering huskily is the cool
way to act, then it's the program at fault, and not her hearing.

That is a factor, for sure.

Bill

AGC or VOGAD needed

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 04/09/2018 14:59, Andrew wrote:

Unless she lives in a detached property, a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

On most TVs the built-in speakers are on the back facing away from the
viewer. A sound bar faces the right way plus it's probably miles better
quality, so it doesn't necessarily have to be louder to help.

These days, for foreign language programmes (ie anything recorded in the
USA), I use subtitles.

I hate subtitles with a passion, they stop you watching the video
properly and I play Freecell Pro when 'watching' any video.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/18 20:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:08:02 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 14:41:54 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:

She doesn't want to wear headphones.
Bill

Headphones?

chuckle

Needs thinking aid adjusted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 14:41:54 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
She doesn't want to wear headphones.
Bill

Headphones?

chuckle

Needs thinking aid adjusted.

Nothing works with his ear to ear dog ****.

Thats why he got the bums rush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y, uk.tech.digital-tv

On 4 Sep 2018, GB wrote
(in article ):

On 04/09/2018 14:59, Andrew wrote:

Unless she lives in a detached property, a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

On most TVs the built-in speakers are on the back facing away from the
viewer. A sound bar faces the right way plus it's probably miles better
quality, so it doesn't necessarily have to be louder to help.

These days, for foreign language programmes (ie anything recorded in the
USA), I use subtitles.

This is the sort of system I use myself. It allows me to set the volume in
the earphones as loud as I like without affecting the volume from the
loudspeakers. They are terrific. I bought mine at Lidls for about £30 a
year or so ago.
I find worn in the ear deaf aids quite unsuitable for listening to TV or to
music.
petefj

Posted to uk.d-i-y, uk.tech.digital-tv

On 5 Sep 2018, pete wrote
(in ndividual.NET):

On 4 Sep 2018, GB wrote
(in article ):

[...]

https://www.hearingdirect.com/geemar...-listener.html

I forgot to add the follow up url, apologies petefj

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/09/2018 00:21, Bill Wright wrote:
On 04/09/2018 14:59, Andrew wrote:

Unless she lives in a detached property,

She does

OK so you have some degrees of freedom to play with.

a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

I don't think she needs much more volume, just an improvement in sound
quality.

This is unclear. She must have lost quite a lot of hearing if she can't
follow the TV with it louder than normal and a hearing aid. Her best bet
might be to go on a lip reading course like my dad did.

The T setting as far as I can tell (apart from in banks and other very
background noise intensive environments) is a waste of time on the
modern digital filtered hearing aids.

Subtitles will help a lot but not all channels offer them.

Her hearing is probably badly frequency limited so "good" sound quality
for her is almost certainly going to sound like a bad phone line to you.
You want speakers and frequency response optimised for her hearing ideally.

As a quick test jerry rig a pair of PC speakers either side of her
favourite chair might be worth a try but don't expect miracles. Even
better if you can run the sound through a PC with a digital filtering
program to let you adjust the response until she finds speech clear.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:50:17 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

These days, for foreign language programmes (ie anything recorded in the
USA), I use subtitles.

I hate subtitles with a passion, they stop you watching the video
properly and I play Freecell Pro when 'watching' any video.

Guess whether anyone gives a ****, you forsaken, endlessly babbling, senile
wisenheimer!

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/09/2018 00:21, Bill Wright wrote:
On 04/09/2018 14:59, Andrew wrote:

Unless she lives in a detached property,

She does

OK so you have some degrees of freedom to play with.

a sound bar, AV amp
or whatever at excessive loudness is just going to upset the
neighbours.

I don't think she needs much more volume, just an improvement in sound
quality.

This is unclear. She must have lost quite a lot of hearing if she can't
follow the TV with it louder than normal and a hearing aid. Her best bet
might be to go on a lip reading course like my dad did.

The T setting as far as I can tell (apart from in banks and other very
background noise intensive environments) is a waste of time on the
modern digital filtered hearing aids.

just been using it at a lecture - much clearer than straight listening.

Subtitles will help a lot but not all channels offer them.

Her hearing is probably badly frequency limited so "good" sound quality
for her is almost certainly going to sound like a bad phone line to you.
You want speakers and frequency response optimised for her hearing
ideally.

As a quick test jerry rig a pair of PC speakers either side of her
favourite chair might be worth a try but don't expect miracles. Even
better if you can run the sound through a PC with a digital filtering
program to let you adjust the response until she finds speech clear.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful.
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

If it's only for speech a soundbar (without sub or whatever) should be OK.
Although with any such speakers, a graphic equaliser might make them
clearer for speech. Sadly, a vast amount of TV speech is of remarkably
poor quality. Does she have the same problem with say R4?

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes

I'm wondering about a sound bar or computer speakers or whatever. Ideas
anyone?

We had a similar discussion a year or three ago, after which I bought a
sound bar, and although we don't watch much TV, when we do, I find
sound, particularly speech, from the bar to be easier to hear than the
built in flat screen TV speakers, at the same volume.

Quite. Everything else being equal, a shorter path from the speakers to
listener helps (within reason) Less added room acoustics.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 16:11:37 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
with very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV sound
into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very successful..
She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about a sound bar or
computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

If it's only for speech a soundbar (without sub or whatever) should be OK..
Although with any such speakers, a graphic equaliser might make them
clearer for speech.

When I bought my TV with an £80 sound bar from argos it was the cheapest they had, but even that had options for cinema, music, + a few others and basic frequency adjustments including base and treble and a sub-woofer.

No idea whether it's better or not but I don't like it on for most viewing and at low volumes it deosn't sound as good as the internal speakers.
It's only when I listen to music (via yuotube) or films that I use it.
It just sounds wrong/weird when listing to docs, the news, and most speach mostly I only use it for action type films.

But if you buy it from a place like argos you can try it and take it back if it doesnlt work, I think unless it;s changed in the last few years.

Sadly, a vast amount of TV speech is of remarkably
poor quality. Does she have the same problem with say R4?

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 04/09/2018 17:09, Reentrant wrote:
On 04/09/2018 14:41, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a friend who struggles to hear the telly. She is not all that
deaf but has a deaf aid. At present she has a newish flatscreen telly
very poor sound quality. I'm wondering what I can do for her. She
tried a gadget she got from RNID that is supposed to feed the TV
sound into the hearing aid when it is set to T, but it wasn't very
successful. She doesn't want to wear headphones. I'm wondering about
a sound bar or computer speakers or whatever. Ideas anyone?

Bill

Techmoan tested the Sony SRS-LSR100 recently and was quite
impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3hKbl9f-U&t=657s

That looks very promising.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine had one of these Sony's arrive
yesterday. He has just been on the phone, having failed to get it to
work.

Apparently, it uses TOSLink, which meant he had to disconnect the
soundbar. He had ordered a toslink splitter with it, but that has to
come separately from China.

The instructions say to set the TV output to pcm, and he says he has
been down every menu and can't find this setting.

He has gone off to download the TV instructions so he can print them in
readable form, after which he says he will ring back if he still needs
help.

I guess that all I'll be able to do is offer sympathy and maybe a bit of
calm, as I know little about the connections on my telly, let alone his.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/09/2018 08:16, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

+1

Audacity is a very powerful free program and has an equalisation tool.
Alternatively you could use GarageBand, if you have a Mac.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

If it's only for speech a soundbar (without sub or whatever) should be OK.
Although with any such speakers, a graphic equaliser might make them
clearer for speech. Sadly, a vast amount of TV speech is of remarkably
poor quality. Does she have the same problem with say R4?

Interesting comparison, which had not occurred to me, with my own TV
listening problems. I struggle with the TV, without the sound bar, but
have no problems with the radio, usually R2 or R4, usually using a
portable radio bought for my 21st, 45 years ago, so not exactly top of
the range 'hi fi'.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/09/18 18:51, Graeme wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

If it's only for speech a soundbar (without sub or whatever) should be
OK.
Although with any such speakers, a graphic equaliser might make them
clearer for speech. Sadly, a vast amount of TV speech is of remarkably
poor quality. Does she have the same problem with say R4?

Interesting comparison, which had not occurred to me, with my own TV
listening problems.* I struggle with the TV, without the sound bar, but
have no problems with the radio, usually R2 or R4, usually using a
portable radio bought for my 21st, 45 years ago, so not exactly top of
the range 'hi fi'.

Top of te range hifi is in fact exactly the wriong choice for someone
with heraing difficulties. The top 4 octaves are wasted, and the bottom
4 just muddy the waters.

The old '300Hz - 3kHz' with loads of intermodulatins is what partially
deaf people get.

Its wise to boost the 1-3Khz band massively, and roll the bass off a LOT

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus