Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Setting time?

I filled drilled holes in a dry crumbly wall with bonding plaster & pushed wallplugs in. How long does the bondage plaster need to be left before screwing? I expect a day would do, there's not much plaster volume.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 09:06:11 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

Time, he flexes like a whore Falls wanking to the floor

Max Bygraves, 1959.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 16:36:53 UTC+1, wrote:
I filled drilled holes in a dry crumbly wall with bonding plaster &
pushed wallplugs in. How long does the bondage plaster need to be
left before screwing? I expect a day would do, there's not much plaster
volume.

Did you moisten the hole with PVA before plugging?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I read that as did you moisten the hole with KY jelly first until I read I again!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 17:18:52 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 16:36:53 UTC+1, tabby wrote:

I filled drilled holes in a dry crumbly wall with bonding plaster &
pushed wallplugs in. How long does the bondage plaster need to be
left before screwing? I expect a day would do, there's not much plaster
volume.

Did you moisten the hole with PVA before plugging?

Owain

no. I scraped out the debris & blew it out, and the plaster will have some dust bonding effect.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 22:43:58 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 29/08/2018 18:18, tabbypurr wrote:

no. I scraped out the debris & blew it out, and the plaster will have some dust bonding effect.

What usually happens if you don't moisten and seal with PVA is the
existing dry plaster will immediately suck all the moisture from the new
plaster leaving a weakened cracked structure in the infill material.

well, it worked fine. It's not a demanding application, It just needs enough cohesion to not migrate when compressed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 16:36:53 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
I filled drilled holes in a dry crumbly wall with bonding plaster & pushed wallplugs in. How long does the bondage plaster need to be left before screwing? I expect a day would do, there's not much plaster volume.

NT

It turns out 3 hours is enough - much less time than I've previously allowed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I filled drilled holes in a dry crumbly wall with bonding plaster &
pushed wallplugs in. How long does the bondage plaster need to be left
before screwing? I expect a day would do, there's not much plaster
volume.

Rawlplugs into plaster a total waste of time. Needs to go into the brick
behind. And if that has crumbled, a decent mortar.

NT

--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 16:50:15 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I filled drilled holes in a dry crumbly wall with bonding plaster &
pushed wallplugs in. How long does the bondage plaster need to be left
before screwing? I expect a day would do, there's not much plaster
volume.

Rawlplugs into plaster a total waste of time. Needs to go into the brick
behind. And if that has crumbled, a decent mortar.

obviously they're going into the brick behind. Wake up. And no, there is no need for any mortar, the bonding plaster is doing a fine job.

NT