Mark

Default consumer unit location

Hi,

Done some searching on this newsgroup but was unable to find what
I was looking for, didn't want to ask a question that has been asked
before!

I need to move our CU to a new location in the kitchen as I'm putting
in a new kitchen. At the moment it's in an upper cupboard, it can't
stay there as there'll be a cooker hood there soon. Is there any rule
about where it can be in the kitchen?

I'd like to put in a corner unit under the worktop - are there any problems
with this that anyone can think of from a saftey point of view, mainly
thinking
about water.

Thanks
Mark

Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:02:00 -0000, "Mark"
wrote:

Hi,

Done some searching on this newsgroup but was unable to find what
I was looking for, didn't want to ask a question that has been asked
before!

I need to move our CU to a new location in the kitchen as I'm putting
in a new kitchen. At the moment it's in an upper cupboard, it can't
stay there as there'll be a cooker hood there soon. Is there any rule
about where it can be in the kitchen?

I'd like to put in a corner unit under the worktop - are there any problems
with this that anyone can think of from a saftey point of view, mainly
thinking
about water.

As long as it's not in water or next to the sink it can go pretty much
anywhere. Just make sure you have sufficient access to it for those
emergency requirements!
An emergency light is always a good idea when fitting a CU in a
cupboard.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Christian McArdle

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for, makes life so much easier.

However, there could be a problem. It is not usually allowed to have the
meter tails more than 2 metres long, as the supplier doesn't like protecting
part of your installation with their service fuse. If you need to have
longer tails than this you need to install a switchfuse unit next to the
meter with a suitable fuse (i.e. 60A or 100A, whatever your supply is rated
for). A fuse is better than an MCB for this, as you don't really want it to
blow before the circuit MCBs get a chance.

Christian.

Lurch

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:57:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for, makes life so much easier.

However, there could be a problem. It is not usually allowed to have the
meter tails more than 2 metres long, as the supplier doesn't like protecting
part of your installation with their service fuse. If you need to have
longer tails than this you need to install a switchfuse unit next to the
meter with a suitable fuse (i.e. 60A or 100A, whatever your supply is rated
for). A fuse is better than an MCB for this, as you don't really want it to
blow before the circuit MCBs get a chance.

Go on then. In theory though you can get away with a bit more, I
usually go on about 3m or just over. If you're going over this
distance I would usually use a MEM 800KMF, (ask at your local
wholesaler), with a 80A fuse on 25mm tails.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Harry Bloomfield

Lurch wrote on Monday (16/02/2004) :
As long as it's not in water or next to the sink it can go pretty much
anywhere. Just make sure you have sufficient access to it for those
emergency requirements!

They will usually refuse to connect meter tails of excessive length, or
if they tails are badly routed such as they might suffer damage.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Mark

That's where I'm lucky - moving the CU to where I want to makes it
closer to the metre than it is at the moment - have to move the tails
but that shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for all the replies
Mark

wrote:

[...]

Chris Oates

wrote:

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for, makes life so much easier.

However, there could be a problem. It is not usually allowed to have the
meter tails more than 2 metres long, as the supplier doesn't like

protecting
part of your installation with their service fuse. If you need to have
longer tails than this you need to install a switchfuse unit next to the
meter with a suitable fuse (i.e. 60A or 100A, whatever your supply is

rated
for). A fuse is better than an MCB for this, as you don't really want it

blow before the circuit MCBs get a chance.

Go on then. In theory though you can get away with a bit more, I
usually go on about 3m or just over. If you're going over this
distance I would usually use a MEM 800KMF, (ask at your local
wholesaler), with a 80A fuse on 25mm tails.

Ask for a chair to sit on as they tell you the price

Lurch

wrote:

[...]

Must admit they're not the cheapest, but then again 80A switch fuses
aren't really. The reason I choose the MEM is the size, especially
when siting them in meter cupboards.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.