Lurch

Default consumer unit location

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:22:50 -0000, "Chris Oates" none wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:57:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for, makes life so much easier.

However, there could be a problem. It is not usually allowed to have the
meter tails more than 2 metres long, as the supplier doesn't like

protecting
part of your installation with their service fuse. If you need to have
longer tails than this you need to install a switchfuse unit next to the
meter with a suitable fuse (i.e. 60A or 100A, whatever your supply is

rated
for). A fuse is better than an MCB for this, as you don't really want it

blow before the circuit MCBs get a chance.

Go on then. In theory though you can get away with a bit more, I
usually go on about 3m or just over. If you're going over this
distance I would usually use a MEM 800KMF, (ask at your local
wholesaler), with a 80A fuse on 25mm tails.

Ask for a chair to sit on as they tell you the price

Must admit they're not the cheapest, but then again 80A switch fuses
aren't really. The reason I choose the MEM is the size, especially
when siting them in meter cupboards.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.