Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Ikea kitchen sink plumbing thread - with a strong hint ofcowboy

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:49:38 +0000, David wrote:

Pictures to follow, but I thought I would get the ball rolling.

The waste pipe from the sink is leaking.

On close inspection there is a flexible pipe leading outside which joins
into a compression 90 degree bend outside.

The (long) outside pipe run is not clamped to the wall, but is supported
by the flexible pipe which (it turns out) is not UV stable and is
crumbling to dust.

An example of an Ikea twin sink waste can be found at
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...en-taps-sinks/
lillviken-water-trap-strainer-2-bowls-art-90311540/
which shows a long flexible pipe to acrry the waste.

IMHO that should go into a joint inside the house with hard plastic
through the wall and on the outside.

I could potentially replace the Ikea fitting with a new one, but I have
realised why they probably did what they did.

There is a retaining wall close to the rear wall of the house to keep
the rising ground away from the brickwork. This means that the exit for
the kitchen waste has to be above the retaining wall and that in turn
means that the long flexible pipe run is potentially too long and I'm
not sure if you can shorten it.

Anyway, looks as they had a bright idea which worked for a few years but
is now failing.

Anyone know if standard waste fittings fit Ikea sinks, or if I am stuck
with the same problem as the original fitters?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/0/0...en_waste_1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/6/6...en_waste_2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/f/f..._pre-bodge.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/3/3...re-bodge_2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/2/2...rary_Bodge.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/8...ry_Bodge_2.jpg

Enjoy.

My next step is to go to Ikea and see if I can get a replacement flexible
pipe.

At least that gives me the option to repeat the bodge which should be good
for a few more years, perhaps more if I paint or otherwise cover the
flexible pipe against UV.

I might even manage to fit a pipe clip outside.

If I can't get a spare I may have to bodge the broken bit with plastic
bag, zip ties, gaffer tape to last a bit longer until I have more time.

Suggestions for the inside would be welcome. I could perhaps turn the
inside flexible pipe (assuming that I can get it) into the biggest U bend
known to man but that might have issues about the amount of water pressure
needed to make the water flow out swiftly. Zig/zag the flexible pipe?

Anyway, off to Ikea to see if I can get the part.

Exciting times. :-(

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2018 12:33, David wrote:

Anyone know if standard waste fittings fit Ikea sinks, or if I am stuck
with the same problem as the original fitters?

Why not run a standard piece of pipe through the wall and a 90 degree
bend immediately on the outside.

Inside, can the top of the trap be loosened so that the output of the
trap is at a different angle?

You may then have more options to use a short flexi inside.

Toolstation do two different diameters of
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p55664

Also
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p45626

plus longer flexi lengths and push fit variants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

Apart from the fitter possibly using something kicking around in his van, I
cant see why an entirely conventional series of right angle bends and
solvent weld tube hasnt been used to go through the wall.

I would junk the lot and start from scratch with rigid tubing.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

My next step is to go to Ikea and see if I can get a replacement flexible
pipe.

I'd ditch the flexible pipe, look for different traps that could save
you enough space to do it with rigid pipe and elbows, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Wirquin-SP3223/27019911434
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p98234

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/.../kitchen-taps-

[...]

The main issue seems to be that the Ikea fittings are non-standard.

What you see under the sink is the complete Ikea waste fitting kit.

From searching the Internet I haven't been convinced that the fittings to
the sink bowls are a standard size.

Anyway, those nice people at Ikea gave me a free replacement flexible
hose. Assuming the new kit fits the old kit I have at least a way to make
a temporary fix.

I hope to get a rigid tube through the wall as suggested, then fix the
Ikea gubbins to it.

Next part is to hope the existing pipework comes apart in a friendly
manner.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Next part is to hope the existing pipework comes apart in a friendly
manner.

If you haven't got some already, buy a tube of LS-X
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

From searching the Internet I haven't been convinced that the fittings to
the sink bowls are a standard size.

Anyway, those nice people at Ikea gave me a free replacement flexible
hose. Assuming the new kit fits the old kit I have at least a way to make
a temporary fix.

I hope to get a rigid tube through the wall as suggested, then fix the
Ikea gubbins to it.

Next part is to hope the existing pipework comes apart in a friendly
manner.

The ikea fitting instructions indicate that you can cut the flexi pipe
to length and it fits into what looks like a pipe reducer (the bit on
the outside wall in one of your photos)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assem...9507-4_pub.pdf

The instructions also indicate that some connections are turn and click
rather than screw up.

For information
The dimensions of the flexi fittings toolstation sell are available from
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plastic...-return-valves
Each of the links is to the product page and from that page is a link to
the technical drawing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

Â*From searching the Internet I haven't been convinced that the
fittings to
[...]

That is the new version he will probably have the older version as I
have .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

From searching the Internet I haven't been convinced that the fittings
the sink bowls are a standard size.

Anyway, those nice people at Ikea gave me a free replacement flexible
hose. Assuming the new kit fits the old kit I have at least a way to
make a temporary fix.

I hope to get a rigid tube through the wall as suggested, then fix the
Ikea gubbins to it.

Next part is to hope the existing pipework comes apart in a friendly
manner.

The ikea fitting instructions indicate that you can cut the flexi pipe
to length and it fits into what looks like a pipe reducer (the bit on
the outside wall in one of your photos)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assembly_instructions/

lillviken__aa-1989507-4_pub.pdf

The instructions also indicate that some connections are turn and click
rather than screw up.

For information The dimensions of the flexi fittings toolstation sell
are available from
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plastic...ible-fittings-

non-return-valves
Each of the links is to the product page and from that page is a link to
the technical drawing.

Thanks. Too dumb to realise that is the fitting on the end of the flexible
pipe is a washer which seats onto the pipe and into the adapter, the pipe
can be cut to any length.

The big question is if the new flexible pipe will fit into the old fitting.

On the new fitting, the flexible pipe was a push fit into a rubber seal.
No moveable parts to screw up and compress the joint.
Now to find out how the old one worked.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

fittings to the sink bowls are a standard size.

[...]

The version I have is white with joints which swivel.

If yours is the same (please see pictures) can you confirm how it comes
apart?

I hope it is just a push fit, but I don't want to use undue force on the
wrong bit and just make my problems worse.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

naw mine is grey with joints that swivel and that pipes telescope
doesn't have that later overflow like the new ones .............

Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
IKEA Sink Waste chudford UK diy 2 November 21st 07 01:02 AM
Kitchen sink plumbing EricP UK diy 16 June 15th 05 06:19 PM
Ikea Bellen Faucet - Connecting to US plumbing Speedy Jim Home Ownership 2 May 14th 04 06:49 AM