Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Window woodwork/mouldings - where to buy? (or even complete windows)

We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

I've searched for 'wood window mouldings' but that hasn't produced much
of any use.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

I've searched for 'wood window mouldings' but that hasn't produced much
of any use.

Try Googling for sash windows. Plenty suppliers of the mouldings used on
those. Which may be shared with other types.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/18 09:21, Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

I've searched for 'wood window mouldings' but that hasn't produced much
of any use.

generally you custom make these. Probably by talking a profile on what
you have and grindng a profile cutter for a spindle moulder.

If you are lucky an ovolo cutter exists already for a table router

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/08/18 09:21, Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

I've searched for 'wood window mouldings' but that hasn't produced much
of any use.

generally you custom make these. Probably by talking a profile on what
you have and grindng a profile cutter for a spindle moulder.

If you are lucky an ovolo cutter exists already for a table router

Surely some standard ones are 'mass produced', we have a whole village
full of houses built at the same time with the same windows in them.
I'm sure we're not the only village with the same ones.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

Do you have a local timber products merchant? For example, this one covers
East Anglia:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sh...mall-mouldings

THeo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

Do you have a local timber products merchant? For example, this one covers
East Anglia:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sh...mall-mouldings

THeo

Almost any wood yard will have or be able to supply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 13:24, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

If you search terms like "glazing bar" you should find loads of
suppliers. There are also plenty of suppliers of router cutters for door
and window construction.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

It produces loads of non-wood glazing bars and quit a few wooden beads
but no wooden glazing bars that I can see. Searching for 'wooden
glazing bar' does no better.

So maybe I'll have to set up the router.

.... or are windows normally built-up from a basic frame made from
simple rectangular wood plus bits added on?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

Do you have a local timber products merchant? For example, this one covers
East Anglia:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sh...mall-mouldings

THeo

Almost any wood yard will have or be able to supply

Are you sure? The above Ridgeons link doesn't show *any* wwoden
mouldings suitable for windows, just beads and a few decorative
shapes.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 15:20, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

The simplest frame is just a rectangular section with a rebate cut out
of the corner for the glass to sit in. Then a quadrant like profile bead
to fix above the glass to hold it in place.

You can get a bit posher than that but profiling the leading edges of
the frame that stick out in front of the glass to add a bit more
interest. Mainly used for a Georgian style bar when you have a number of
smaller panes within the whole casement / sash E.g:

https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/bro...n/1253/level/4

Those can give you a bar profile like:

http://www.sashupgrades.co.uk/45-glazing-bar.html

The glass goes in the rebates on the under side. Then quadrant or
something a bit more ornate like an double ovolo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OAK-FLOOR...-/162521714774

will hold the glass / DG unit in place.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 15:21, Chris Green wrote:
FMurtz wrote:
Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

Do you have a local timber products merchant? For example, this one covers
East Anglia:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sh...mall-mouldings

THeo

Almost any wood yard will have or be able to supply

Are you sure? The above Ridgeons link doesn't show *any* wwoden
mouldings suitable for windows, just beads and a few decorative
shapes.

Do you mean for the bar or the bead?:

https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bea...15mmx2-4-metre
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bea...20mmx2-4-metre

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 17:06, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2018 15:21, Chris Green wrote:
FMurtz wrote:
Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep.Â* The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows?Â* They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

Do you have a local timber products merchant?Â* For example, this one
covers
East Anglia:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sh...mall-mouldings

THeo

Almost any wood yard will have or be able to supply

Are you sure?Â* The above Ridgeons link doesn't show *any* wwoden
mouldings suitable for windows, just beads and a few decorative
shapes.

Do you mean for the bar or the bead?:

https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bea...15mmx2-4-metre
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bea...20mmx2-4-metre

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Forgot the link to the bars:

http://www.mumfordwood.com/casement-...mouldings.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

Do you have a local timber products merchant? For example, this one covers
East Anglia:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sh...mall-mouldings

THeo

Almost any wood yard will have or be able to supply

Are you sure? The above Ridgeons link doesn't show *any* wwoden
mouldings suitable for windows, just beads and a few decorative
shapes.

Do you mean for the bar or the bead?:

The bar.

https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bea...15mmx2-4-metre
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bea...20mmx2-4-metre

Yes, the beads, but nothing to fix them onto! :-)

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the
disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take
pictures).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

What I'm after is what they call casement windows, it's not clear
whether they sell the wood to make them though.

.... pictures to come.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the
disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take
pictures).

Here you go:-

http://isbd.uk/windows/

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Chris Green wrote:

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the
disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take
pictures).

Here you go:-

http://isbd.uk/windows/

A Google UK search on *hardwood glazing bead profiles* brings up a raft
of possibles.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Chris Green wrote:

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the
disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take
pictures).

Here you go:-

http://isbd.uk/windows/

A Google UK search on *hardwood glazing bead profiles* brings up a raft
of possibles.

But they're *beads*, I want the thing they're nailed onto!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Chris Green wrote:

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the
disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take
pictures).

Here you go:-

http://isbd.uk/windows/

A Google UK search on *hardwood glazing bead profiles* brings up a raft
of possibles.

But they're *beads*, I want the thing they're nailed onto!

"New window"...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 17:58, Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able
to point at something suitable)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the
disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take
pictures).

Here you go:-

http://isbd.uk/windows/

They look very similar to the John Carr[1] windows I had in my last place.

The profiles on those are fairly straight forward and could be cut on a
table saw.

[1] taken over by a large international window firm IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â*Â* http://isbd.uk/windows/

They look very similar to the John Carr[1] windows I had in my last place.

The profiles on those are fairly straight forward and could be cut on a
table saw.

[1] taken over by a large international window firm IIRC.

It is almost impossible to find the words to get a picture from google
but if you take the bit you want to a wood yard they will supply the
form of glazing bars that you need to make the whole window from
scratch, you can even get router bits to make your own.have included
attachment (if it works)of centre cross bars. and router forms.
https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...indow-sash-set

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Looking at the OPs picture, there are no centre bars here. They are
simple casement windows with straight profiles and rebates and a double
ovolo section bead on the inside of the DG unit. The main casement
profile is a rectangular section with a rebate on the outside and the
inside. The outside rebate allows most of the casement to close "into"
the frame, but retains a flange that supports a rubber weather seal that
closes against the face of the frame.

The internal rebate accepts the DG unit, which is then retained by the
ovolo bead which is mitred into the rebate against the glass.

There is a little bit of detailing on the outside of the frame to set
back the outer face adjacent to the DG unit and bevel it a bit to better
shed water. Its possible (in fact likely) that the the frame was not
actually made with an internal rebate at all, and the trim bits were
simply glued/nailed on after to create the rebate for the DG unit. (this
would save having to make different profiles for differing thicknesses
of DG unit)

So if you look at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...meCasement.png

That gives you the basic outline. There may be some "cope and stick"
joinery to hold the frames together at the corners - a photo looking
onto the outside top or bottom of the casement would confirm).

(the top and bottom rails may be a little deeper that the stiles - they
appear to have a slightly larger outer rebate section)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The more common moulding sections should be available at any decent real
wood supplier (not at sheds - they never have anything so useful).

Talk to your local glazier and he may well be able to recommend someone
who has already replaced some in the village. We have to do this in our
village at least for all the Grade II listed stuff.

There is a local joiner who will make exact copy windows to order (for a
price which reflects the amount of bespoke work that goes into them).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown