Ninip

Default crown mouldings color help please

Merry Xmas everyone!
For a gift my sons have offered to put up crown mouldings in our main living
areas. We have red brown alder laminate floors, my walls are painted a
taupey/tan/beigey color. My baseboards and trim is painted white.
My question is the crown mouldings can they be stained to match floors
instead of painted white like baseboards? My sons seem to think the darker
color will look better. My ceiling is white popcorn. Older style house.
Is the brown mouldings going to look dumb? Should they be white?
Please give me advice, I am not very creative.
Thanks in advance.

Matt

Why not stain a small section, and tack it up to help you visualize
what it would look like?

IMHO (I only have a sample size of two, but did thousands of feet in
each):

1). stained to match floor: will make a much bolder statement than (2),
higher ceilings (i.e 9+ feet) will help reduce effect, too wide a
molding will overpower the room. For example. on an 8-foot ceiling I
used only 1.5" wide stained molding. (Personally, I think molding that
doesn't match the rest of the trim (i.e. both painted, or both stained)
looks funny, irrespective of the floor covering)

2). painted to match trim: (especially if white) will tend to give the
molding an understated elegance. Can also go larger in size on the
molding without overpowering (I did 5" on a 9' ceiling).

I vote for #2; if your walls were stained wood, I would do #1 ;-)