Ninip

Default crown mouldings color help please

Merry Xmas everyone!
For a gift my sons have offered to put up crown mouldings in our main living
areas. We have red brown alder laminate floors, my walls are painted a
taupey/tan/beigey color. My baseboards and trim is painted white.
My question is the crown mouldings can they be stained to match floors
instead of painted white like baseboards? My sons seem to think the darker
color will look better. My ceiling is white popcorn. Older style house.
Is the brown mouldings going to look dumb? Should they be white?
Please give me advice, I am not very creative.
Thanks in advance.