Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cistern control valves

OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/18 11:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

I'd be interested to see an answer to this too. When we replaced the
bathroom basin taps with 1/4-turn ceramic ones, I'd forgotten that it
would now be simple for "little hands" to turn the tap on full. As it is
at mains pressure, you can imagine the result of doing that! So I also
use the isolator valve to cut the flow right down. But, as you say, it
is very noisy.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote in newsjs58r$o1i$1@dont-
email.me:

On 01/08/18 11:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

I'd be interested to see an answer to this too. When we replaced the
bathroom basin taps with 1/4-turn ceramic ones, I'd forgotten that it
would now be simple for "little hands" to turn the tap on full. As it is
at mains pressure, you can imagine the result of doing that! So I also
use the isolator valve to cut the flow right down. But, as you say, it
is very noisy.

Look at "Pressure Reducing Valves" on a plumbing site.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

Are these valves the farty little screwdriver slot service valve
things? If so try a bigger bore type.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

Are these valves the farty little screwdriver slot service valve
things? If so try a bigger bore type.

Yebbut... I think the issue is restricting the flow rate by creating a
vortex/slot.

A pressure regulator and restrictor would do a better job but there are
3 bogs and you are required to fit an isolating valve anyway.

Bar showers have restrictors fitted. I just wondered if there was an
easy fit, in line job. Perhaps those microbore tap connectors have their
uses after all.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2018 21:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

Are these valves the farty little screwdriver slot service valve
things? If so try a bigger bore type.

Yebbut... I think the issue is restricting the flow rate by creating a
vortex/slot.

The French use isolating valves specifically for toilet cisterns and
they seem to work better to adjust the flow, as they are not ball valves:

https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/prod...wc-l1308217699

A pressure regulator and restrictor would do a better job but there are
3 bogs and you are required to fit an isolating valve anyway.

Bar showers have restrictors fitted. I just wondered if there was an
easy fit, in line job. Perhaps those microbore tap connectors have their
uses after all.

The above link shows right-angle and in-line versions.

There is probably something similar in the UK - I just happen to know
them from France and from the toilet that I bought there and brought to
the UK.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

Are these valves the farty little screwdriver slot service valve
things? If so try a bigger bore type.

Yebbut... I think the issue is restricting the flow rate by creating a
vortex/slot.

A pressure regulator and restrictor would do a better job but there are
3 bogs and you are required to fit an isolating valve anyway.

Bar showers have restrictors fitted. I just wondered if there was an
easy fit, in line job. Perhaps those microbore tap connectors have their
uses after all.

Istr the noise is cavitation caused by the restriction of the
valves, larger surface area = less cavitation = less noise.
YMMV
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 23:18:41 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
[...]

Big valve, small valve, the size of the orifice when restricted will be the same to have the same effect.
A pressure reducing valve is the answer situated well away (whole house?)

Sometimes the noise is caused by the water falling in the cistern.
You can get a plastic "condom" that reduces this effect.
Goes on the float valve outlet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 23:18:41 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
[...]

These are all modern plastic jobs and don't have that problem. I am sure
the bulk of the noise comes from the isolator valve and then transmitted
through the supply pipework.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the
isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the
overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

Are these valves the farty little screwdriver slot service valve
things? If so try a bigger bore type.

Yebbut... I think the issue is restricting the flow rate by creating
a vortex/slot.

The French use isolating valves specifically for toilet cisterns and
they seem to work better to adjust the flow, as they are not ball
valves:

https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/prod...ie/equipement-
wc-et-accessoires-de-robinet/robinet-d-arret-wc-l1308217699

A pressure regulator and restrictor would do a better job but there
are 3 bogs and you are required to fit an isolating valve anyway.
Bar showers have restrictors fitted. I just wondered if there was an
easy fit, in line job. Perhaps those microbore tap connectors have
their uses after all.

The above link shows right-angle and in-line versions.

There is probably something similar in the UK - I just happen to know
them from France and from the toilet that I bought there and brought to
the UK.

Hmm.. not come across anything like that here. Thanks.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 23:18:41 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
[...]

Full bore lever valves don't make any noise when virtually 100%
closed...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and pressure regulator valves mm Home Repair 3 June 25th 10 03:40 AM
Cistern does not fill up - until cistern lid removed Moo UK diy 8 October 13th 07 07:30 PM
Washing Machine Water Inlet Valves - Cheap Source of Solonoid Control Valves? JoeyB Home Repair 2 January 4th 07 02:17 PM
Silent Cistern Valves john UK diy 14 February 16th 04 11:18 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM