Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internety thingummies, question.

More on my friends Internet access issues, which I mentioned earlier..

He would seem to have several issues and is on Plusnet, which is BT
supplied.

1. He seems to be reporting his Internet connection is unstable.

2. His wifi access from the Plusnet router is desperately poor range
coverage.

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They
suggest that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just
needs to switch to the new router.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people
have taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access
point, into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do
this?

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be
causing him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see
how, however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at
all, despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices
list of available AP's.

I have the same pair of Homeplugs here, just for when I might need them
and they work absolutely fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
More on my friends Internet access issues, which I mentioned earlier..

He would seem to have several issues and is on Plusnet, which is BT
supplied.

1. He seems to be reporting his Internet connection is unstable.

2. His wifi access from the Plusnet router is desperately poor range
coverage.

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They
suggest that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just
needs to switch to the new router.

Correct, FTTC is 'Fibre to the *cabinet*', it still runs over the
normal telephone wire pair to the house.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people
have taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access
point, into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do
this?

See above, FTTC uses the existing pair, you just plug it into a VDSL
router as opposed to an ADSL router (some routers do both).

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be
causing him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see
how, however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at
all, despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices
list of available AP's.

Start simple and work up. I.e. first get a wired connection to the
router running properly and fast (should be much faster than before
now he has FTTC). Next try the new router's WiFi with nothing else
extra, check where coverage is OK, or not. Then if needed add the
Homeplug thingies.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2018 11:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people have
taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access point,
into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do this?

BT is fibre to the nearest (green) box in the street. Whereas before it
may have been wire to the exchange which for many people would have been
Km long and which were possible installed 50+ years ago its now fibre to
the nearest box with only the bit between the box and house being wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 July 2018 11:56:56 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I'd probably take the view that the IP is not providing the service they contracted to provide, and if they wanted ongoing payment they would need to do so.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They suggest that they don't need to run anything into his house, he
just needs to switch to the new router.

That's correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/18 11:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people have
taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access point,
into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do this?

They use the existing phone line. Its only fibre to the street cab. Its
copper thereafter.

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be causing
him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see how,
however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at all,
despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices list
of available AP's.

I have the same pair of Homeplugs here, just for when I might need them
and they work absolutely fine.

They are crap when more than two are on the network

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/18 12:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They
suggest that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just
needs to switch to the new router.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people
have taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access
point, into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do
this?

Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so. Fibre from the exchange to the box I can see down the road, and
the old copper connection from the box to the house.

When we had it done, a BT Openreach girlie had to come over and install
a new modem. But perhaps these days the modem is built into the router.

It is

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do this?

Because it's only fibre to the cabinet, then twisted pair to the house.

Virgin usually use coax (plus twisted pair for phone) to the house, but
it sounds like your area may be covered by Virgin's Project Lightning
which *is* fibre all the way to the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2018 12:19, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

If you have any extensions, it is important to use a filtered faceplate.
If you don't performance will be adversely affected by reflections from
the TAP connections.

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be
causing him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see
how, however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at
all, despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices
list of available AP's.

Start simple and work up. I.e. first get a wired connection to the
router running properly and fast (should be much faster than before
now he has FTTC). Next try the new router's WiFi with nothing else
extra, check where coverage is OK, or not. Then if needed add the
Homeplug thingies.

Homeplugs may work OK, but they are not known for being reliable.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph poles to
the cabinet - quite rare in London.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph poles to
the cabinet - quite rare in London.

79.5Mbs here, underground wired, If I crane my neck out of the window I
can see the cabinet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2018 11:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
More on my friends Internet access issues, which I mentioned earlier..

He would seem to have several issues and is on Plusnet, which is BT
supplied.

1. He seems to be reporting his Internet connection is unstable.

2. His wifi access from the Plusnet router is desperately poor range
coverage.

A completely different matter.

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They suggest
that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just needs to
switch to the new router.

How much extra is that costing him? 'Normal' ADSL should be OK unless he
lives a long way from the exchange.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people have
taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access point,
into the house with cable.

....which someone will dig up with a hoe or just a kick. They don't even
bother to secure their roadside cabinets.

How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do this?

Because it's FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) as others have noted.

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be causing
him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see how,
however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at all,
despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices list
of available AP's.

I have the same pair of Homeplugs here, just for when I might need them
and they work absolutely fine.

Homeplugs are regarded as the Spawn of the Devil by some, due to the
radio interference.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives
35Mbps or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph
poles to the cabinet - quite rare in London.

79.5Mbs here, underground wired, If I crane my neck out of the window I
can see the cabinet.

I think BT recently offered me an 'upgrade' to a higher speed. For more
money, of course. But the last one I had which doubled the download speed
made zero difference (that I could see) in practice. Most things seem to
have 'the other end' as the bottleneck.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people
have taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access
point, into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do
this?

BT (specifically Openreach) do need to do this - but they've already
done it. Once there's a cable into the house, they can connect it at the
cabinet to FTTC (VDSL), back at the exchange for plain broadband (ADSL),
or just connect it to the exchange for a phone line with no broadband.
If you change from one to the other, they will change the relevant
connections at the exchange and/or cabinet with no need to visit the
house. Now if you order FTTP, that's a different matter as you'll need a
different type of cable (fibre rather than copper) and Openreach will
need to visit the house. Or if you need a line where there isn't one
already (a new house, or a second line), they'll need to visit to
install it. Since Virgin are setting up a new service and don't have
lines into anyone's house, they'll always need to visit - the first
time. But if you then get a different service from Virgin they probably
won't need to visit to make the change.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
[...]

homeplugs are the work of the devil ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It's DIGITAL you didn't really expect it to work properly did you ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher explained on 28/07/2018 :
They are crap when more than two are on the network

They work just fine for me, when I am out of range of my wifi. So I am
puzzled as to why his pair of Homeplugs didn't work, didn't even show
up on his devices at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote on 28/07/2018 :
Because it's only fibre to the cabinet, then twisted pair to the house.

Virgin usually use coax (plus twisted pair for phone) to the house, but it
sounds like your area may be covered by Virgin's Project Lightning which *is*
fibre all the way to the house.

Could be, they covered the entire village with it, not long ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian laid this down on his screen :
Homeplugs are regarded as the Spawn of the Devil by some, due to the radio
interference.

By me too, so I only have them for emergency use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian brought next idea :
How much extra is that costing him? 'Normal' ADSL should be OK unless he
lives a long way from the exchange.

I am 0.5Km with 16Mb, he is around 1.5Km with 6 to 8Mb. He rarely uses
what he has at the moment, apart from for email. It is costing him and
extra £4 pm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

When I got BT FTTC here, they supplied a new router etc. I've got them
installed in the cellar (don't actually want to see them all the time)
which is fine for most of the house. But the top floor and garden not so
good. So used the old router as an extra Wi-Fi point, fed via CAT5 on the
top floor. Seems to go a long way. ;-)

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph poles to
the cabinet - quite rare in London.

but possibly more common the country. we also have an overhead line

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 28/07/2018, Jim K supposed :
Where do yours "show up" ? Mine are all invisible unless I run the
setup software...
--

Mine Homeplug is shown in the list of wife access points. W10, if I
click on the quadrant with rings symbol on the right, up pops all of
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2018 15:44, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph poles to
the cabinet - quite rare in London.

but possibly more common the country. we also have an overhead line

Poles to the *house* are still commonplace in many parts of London - eg
off the top of my head Islington, Hackney, Camden, Mortlake. But those
are fed by underground cables from the cabinet. Dave referred to poles
to the *cabinet*. I'd like to see that if Streetview covers it.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Oh? I've had 4 running for over 5 years with no issue.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Dave referred to poles to the *cabinet*

I took that to mean poles between house and cabinet, rather than poles
between exchange and cabinet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
on 28/07/2018, Jim K supposed :
Where do yours "show up" ? Mine are all invisible unless I run the
setup software...
--

Mine Homeplug is shown in the list of wife access points. W10, if I
click on the quadrant with rings symbol on the right, up pops all of
the wife connection access points my PC is seeing. At the top is the
one I am actually connected to.

Oh you mean homeplug(s) with access point(s) too, right.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 28/07/2018 15:44, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Tim
Streater wrote:
Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives
35Mbps or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph
poles to the cabinet - quite rare in London.

but possibly more common the country. we also have an overhead line

Poles to the *house* are still commonplace in many parts of London - eg
off the top of my head Islington, Hackney, Camden, Mortlake. But those
are fed by underground cables from the cabinet. Dave referred to poles
to the *cabinet*. I'd like to see that if Streetview covers it.

Sorry - actually meant poles from street to houses. Underground to the
poles.

Not sure about all of London, but this is the only street round here with
them. And often wondered why, since the area was mostly built at the same
time, and before telephones.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are a scourge on society. Home plugs are the Bain of my life as a short
wave hobbyist. These devices pump so much rf down the mains cable they
contravene the Wireless telegraphy act, but the authorities are turning a
blind eye to it for their own reasons. Just another law run roughshod over
by big business.
I think they hope in the fullness of time 5G will make such devices
obsolete. It cannot happen too soon, but I doubt it will stop as all sorts
of devices now use the same idea including home automation.

As for how fibre works, I guess you would need to look at what is plugged
into his router.No you need either fibre to the house or the virgin idea of
fibre in the road and then a device that shoves it on co-ax for the last
few feet.

As for poor reception. My guess is that so many people now have wifi that
its interference not lack of signal. In the main I have only one item on
wifi, the echo dot, everything else is wired with network cables, end of
problem.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2018 11:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
More on my friends Internet access issues, which I mentioned earlier..

He would seem to have several issues and is on Plusnet, which is BT
supplied.

1. He seems to be reporting his Internet connection is unstable.

2. His wifi access from the Plusnet router is desperately poor range
coverage.

Not uncommon. Not always fixable with just one router. Depending on the
house / layout etc, he may need multiple access points.

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They suggest
that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just needs to
switch to the new router.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people have
taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access point,
into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do this?

Because the BT "fibre" he has been sold is not really fibre in the true
sense. They are using Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC), and then using VDSL
(a DSL varient designed for very high speed and short range) over copper
for the last few hundred metres...

The virgin option will be either a fibre or co-ax to the premises
system. (Typically FTTP or DOCSIS)

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be causing
him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see how,
however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at all,
despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices list
of available AP's.

Homeplug devices work by injecting a RF signal into the mains wiring.
Given that was never really designed to limit radiation at those
frequencies, some of it will escape[1] - and may in theory make its way
into the telephone lines where it could interfere with the RF carrying
the broadband. In practice I have not seen this as a problem.

It sounds more likely they are not properly paired or are isolated in
some other way.

[1] upsetting the local radio amateurs.

I have the same pair of Homeplugs here, just for when I might need them
and they work absolutely fine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Start simple and work up.Â* I.e. first get a wired connection to the
router running properly and fast (should be much faster than before
now he has FTTC).Â* Next try the new router's WiFi with nothing else
extra, check where coverage is OK, or not.Â* Then if needed add the
Homeplug thingies.

Homeplugs may work OK, but they are not known for being reliable.

Generally I have found them quite reliable - although I have only
installed a handful of systems (probably 20 to 30) using them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You can see what the Homeplug produces on the mains interfering
with what the vdsl2 does over the phone wiring. And that can be
seen with only some house wiring examples, where the mains and
phone wiring runs next to each other for substantial distances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so.

53.7 here. And rather old overhead telephone cable with telegraph poles
the cabinet - quite rare in London.

79.5Mbs here, underground wired, If I crane my neck out of the window I
can see the cabinet.

I get 121/49 here and it isnt possible to see mine, but it isnt that far
away.

We dont continue to run a PSTN/POTS phone service over the copper
pair once its cutover to VDSL2 at the pillar tho. It pure voip after that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Max Demian brought next idea :
How much extra is that costing him? 'Normal' ADSL should be OK unless he
lives a long way from the exchange.

I am 0.5Km with 16Mb, he is around 1.5Km with 6 to 8Mb. He rarely uses
what he has at the moment, apart from for email. It is costing him and
extra £4 pm.

I actually had the price drop by 10% when going from adsl2+
to vdsl, because I no longer needed to pay for a POTS/PSTN
service. And I could have got it for half price if I had been
happy with only 50% faster than the 8mp adsl2+ service.

I chose to go for the fastest service because the 1mp upload
that I was getting with the adsl2+ service was almost unusable
for uploading videos and useless for cloud backup. The 50mb
upload with vdsl works perfectly for that stuff and is cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 15:32:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

which is fine for most of the house. But the top floor and garden not so
good. So used the old router as an extra Wi-Fi point, fed via CAT5 on
the top floor. Seems to go a long way. ;-)

That's the way to do it. Not with Home plugs or "WiFi extenders".
Home plugs just shove out lots of interference. WiFi extenders half
the throughput straight away before taking into account neighbours on
the same channel.

--
Cheers
Dave.