Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Internety thingummies, question.

radio is dead...long live computers....or so the say ...

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You are a scourge on society. Home plugs are the Bain of my life as a
short wave hobbyist. These devices pump so much rf down the mains cable
they contravene the Wireless telegraphy act, but the authorities are
turning a blind eye to it for their own reasons. Just another law run
roughshod over by big business.
I think they hope in the fullness of time 5G will make such devices
obsolete. It cannot happen too soon, but I doubt it will stop as all sorts
of devices now use the same idea including home automation.

As for how fibre works, I guess you would need to look at what is plugged
into his router.No you need either fibre to the house or the virgin idea
of fibre in the road and then a device that shoves it on co-ax for the
last few feet.

As for poor reception. My guess is that so many people now have wifi that
its interference not lack of signal. In the main I have only one item on
wifi, the echo dot, everything else is wired with network cables, end of
problem.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
More on my friends Internet access issues, which I mentioned earlier..

He would seem to have several issues and is on Plusnet, which is BT
supplied.

1. He seems to be reporting his Internet connection is unstable.

2. His wifi access from the Plusnet router is desperately poor range
coverage.

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him. They
are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They suggest that
they don't need to run anything into his house, he just needs to switch
to the new router.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people have
taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access point,
into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do this?

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be causing
him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see how, however
the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at all, despite it
all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices list of available
AP's.

I have the same pair of Homeplugs here, just for when I might need them
and they work absolutely fine.