Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internety thingummies, question.

More on my friends Internet access issues, which I mentioned earlier..

He would seem to have several issues and is on Plusnet, which is BT
supplied.

1. He seems to be reporting his Internet connection is unstable.

2. His wifi access from the Plusnet router is desperately poor range
coverage.

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They
suggest that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just
needs to switch to the new router.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people
have taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access
point, into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do
this?

Friend bought himself a pair of BT Homplugs, to extend the range of his
wifi (2). During his call to PN, they said the Homeplug might be
causing him the problems with his poor interned - I don't really see
how, however the Homeplug access point, seemed not to be working at
all, despite it all being lit up. The AP failed to show in his devices
list of available AP's.

I have the same pair of Homeplugs here, just for when I might need them
and they work absolutely fine.