Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl insect zapper

For anyone who bought one of these recently and was disappointed to find
that the four D cells don't last long, it'll run from 5V and takes
somewhere around an amp.

I threw out the battery carrier and wired in a USB lead which fits in
the base where the batteries were along with a USB charger when not in
use. Then you can use it on the mains, or with a USB 'power bank'.

(My 5300mAH 'power bank' lasted a bit over four hours, which, allowing
for it's age and doubtless exaggerated capacity[1] makes an amp sound
about right.)

[1] There are loads on ebay claiming 300AH at 5V (theoretical capacity).
Well, I suppose if it's 3AH per charge and you can recharge it 1000
times...

Of course, you could just buy a mains one, but where's the fun in that?

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

Sorry, forgot - Brexit.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brexitard insect zapper

On 24/07/18 14:48, Clive Arthur wrote:
snip

Sorry, forgot - Brexit.

Changed the title for you.

Hmmm, Rees-Mogg does kind of look like an insect..

Bbzzzzt...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For anyone who bought one of these recently and was disappointed to find
that the four D cells don't last long, it'll run from 5V and takes
somewhere around an amp.

I threw out the battery carrier and wired in a USB lead which fits in
the base where the batteries were along with a USB charger when not in
use. Then you can use it on the mains, or with a USB 'power bank'.

(My 5300mAH 'power bank' lasted a bit over four hours, which, allowing
for it's age and doubtless exaggerated capacity[1] makes an amp sound
about right.)

[1] There are loads on ebay claiming 300AH at 5V (theoretical capacity).
Well, I suppose if it's 3AH per charge and you can recharge it 1000
times...

Of course, you could just buy a mains one, but where's the fun in that?

Cheers

UR "Big" Clive Mitchell &ICM5£
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive Arthur
writes
Of course, you could just buy a mains one, but where's the fun in that?

Or, as I was being told only yesterday, you just buy a small bottle of
Avon "Skin so soft" and apply that over the whole body (whose wasn't
said, but sounds like fun).

I was told that it is used by the SAS and the TA.

Has anyone tried it?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 14:48:15 +0100, Clive Arthur
wrote:

snip

Sorry, forgot - Brexit.

Nearly! You are forgiven. ;-)

Now, what has this Arron Banks got to do with Brexit again?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 14:47:13 +0100
Clive Arthur wrote:

For anyone who bought one of these recently and was disappointed to
find that the four D cells don't last long, it'll run from 5V and
takes somewhere around an amp.

That seems a lot for a battery powered thing. I bought a cheapo
insect-o-cutor in Lidl years ago and was totally underwhelmed by it,
bought a slightly better one online similar to this one
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/eazyzap-co...iller-16w/y724
and it's been working well for years (apart from the ballast failing
not long after purchase, but rewiring it with really cheap eBay
electronic ballasts was easier than sending it back).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2018 17:19, Bill wrote:

Or, as I was being told only yesterday, you just buy a small bottle of
Avon "Skin so soft" and apply that over the whole body (whose wasn't
said, but sounds like fun).

I was told that it is used by the SAS and the TA.

Has anyone tried it?

The perfume they use in that product is so strong that it repels flys,
knats and midges. The reason that it's not tested on animals is because
it kills them. Keep out of the proximity of wanted pets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2018 10:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
Which technology? Is it an audio or a uv one?
I have been a little worried recently as the audio ones can apparently be
heard by people and can drive dogs, including guide dogs, bonkers. I'm not
convinced that insects are drawn to hf sound in the first place.
Brian

It's UV, though I have since read that these are ineffective in that
they kill the harmless flies and not the biters.

Cheers
--
Clive