Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Anyone here use a Rat Zapper?

I'm finding mouse turds at random places all over our home.
Ticks me off. I don't want to use poison because we have a baby. And
besides, when I've used poison in the past, the mouse goes into the
wall and dies, leaving a stench.

I've seen these Rat Zappers:
http://www.ratzapper.com/

I'm wondering if anyone here has used them.

I also have a growing problem with ground squirrels that needs to be
addressed the year, and I was thinking of this zapper for the same
purpose.

As far as indoors, I would only turn it on at night, which is when the
little buggers come out anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:36:09 GMT,
" wrote:

I'm finding mouse turds at random places all over our home.
Ticks me off. I don't want to use poison because we have a baby. And
besides, when I've used poison in the past, the mouse goes into the
wall and dies, leaving a stench.

I've seen these Rat Zappers:
http://www.ratzapper.com/

I'm wondering if anyone here has used them.

I also have a growing problem with ground squirrels that needs to be
addressed the year, and I was thinking of this zapper for the same
purpose.

As far as indoors, I would only turn it on at night, which is when the
little buggers come out anyway.

I bought one to control chipmunks. It caught one chipmunk the first
day and hasnt caught another in 2 years. The first chipmunk either
broke it, or it just isnt powerful enough to kill them.

They go in, steal the bait, and leave. The trap triggers, i.e. the
red LED starts blinking, but the zap doesnt kill them.

A regular old rat snap trap works better.

For mice, I would think this thing is overkill. Again, a snap trap
works best for me.

dickm

Posted to alt.home.repair

what sort of squirrel problem do you have? as long as they are outdoors
and not in your home they should be fine.

same for chipmunks birds etc.

you have a baby, kids should be taught about the beauty of wildlife,
not how to knock it off.

for mice there are traps the mouse falls into and cant get out, open
cover outdoors twice daily and let them go.

if you have mice dont have food sources around like open bags of dog
food, and triple check that all openings to outdoors are sealed so they
cant get back in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

wrote in message
ups.com...
snip-tree-hugger-bull****

Mice are vemin... They should be killed... If you want to do it
ecologically, toss a Texas Rat Snake in your attic... He'll leave after the
food supply runs out...

Posted to alt.home.repair

you know if every mouse in the world suddenly died....

drug companies and genetic testing would be hard pressed to find a
replacement.

ecological balance would be upset, some other pest likely worse would
fill the void...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

For mice, I would think this thing is overkill. Again, a snap trap
works best for me.

Those little pukes figured out how to steal the bait without
triggering the trap. Even peanut butter, they lick it clean and walk
away.

I've used sticky traps before, but then you have a live, stuck mouse
to deal with.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com

wrote:
I'm finding mouse turds at random places all over our home.
Ticks me off. I don't want to use poison because we have a baby. And
besides, when I've used poison in the past, the mouse goes into the
wall and dies, leaving a stench.

I've seen these Rat Zappers:
http://www.ratzapper.com/

I'm wondering if anyone here has used them.

I also have a growing problem with ground squirrels that needs to be
addressed the year, and I was thinking of this zapper for the same
purpose.

As far as indoors, I would only turn it on at night, which is when the
little buggers come out anyway.

I got one and they work great. I tried poison and different kinds of
traps before and the Rat zapper is the only thing that works. I have
even had double kills (two at once). I got the big one that takes the
D batteries. I use dog food and put one piece in the back and one up
front. I leave them on all the time. I don't know how they would work
with the squirrels. I would highly recommend them for mice. I have
finally got the mice under control thanks to the Rat Zapper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:41:46 GMT,
" wrote:

For mice, I would think this thing is overkill. Again, a snap trap
works best for me.

Those little pukes figured out how to steal the bait without
triggering the trap. Even peanut butter, they lick it clean and walk
away.

I've used sticky traps before, but then you have a live, stuck mouse
to deal with.

I use Intruder traps. I used to have trouble with regular snap traps
too but the Intruder traps get them every time. Peanut butter bait.

You can buy them at Walgreens or on-line.
http://www.intruderinc.com/mousetrap/mousetrap.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Bob

wrote:
I'm finding mouse turds at random places all over our home.
Ticks me off. I don't want to use poison because we have a baby. And
besides, when I've used poison in the past, the mouse goes into the
wall and dies, leaving a stench.

I've seen these Rat Zappers:
http://www.ratzapper.com/

I'm wondering if anyone here has used them.

I also have a growing problem with ground squirrels that needs to be
addressed the year, and I was thinking of this zapper for the same
purpose.

As far as indoors, I would only turn it on at night, which is when the
little buggers come out anyway.

I am very experienced in getting rid of mice. I just moved from a place
that had them forever and always will. If you have one then you have a
million or at least an overpowering amount that will keep some always just
out of sight. You have to mouse proof your house. You have to find where
they are getting in and repair that spot. Common entrees are around
baseboard heaters where the hole was drilled to accept the copper pipe. The
pipe is 1/2" and the guy drilled a 5/8 to 3/4" hole. You have to wrap steel
wool around it. You may have to do much looking in tiny places. I leave a
peanut inside one of my wife's clear stocking egg containers and if it is
moved they are still getting in. If you get them in time they may not
propagate inside the walls. Then you will have to tear all the sheet rock
out and make sure they are not living in the insulation. A cat is a great
solution. There are sticky flypaper traps. I hate those the most. I use
"Havahart".
http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/traps.htm

I have used these since I was a kid. Caught just about everything that would
fit inside including a skunk that recognized me first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:17:50 -0400, "Just Bob"
wrote:
I am very experienced in getting rid of mice. [great advice cut] A cat is a great
solution.

Truly, cats are bred for this job, and they're easy to live with, but
not all cats hunt. They need to be taught by their mothers, so don't
assume that the cat you take home from the SPCA will do its job.

I have one cat who hunts, and one who doesn't (the Persian, imagine
that). They're wonderful companions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"dicko" wrote in message
I use Intruder traps.

Wimpy... Here in Texas, we use Texas Mouse Traps...
http://i3.tinypic.com/w8kg0w.jpg

Notice what we use for bait...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

I use Intruder traps.

DAMMIT! Turds in my wife's MIXING BOWL this morning...*******s!

I will try to find these traps locally today.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

I got one and they work great. I tried poison and different kinds of
traps before and the Rat zapper is the only thing that works.

Do you use them outdoors?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Bob

wrote:
I am very experienced in getting rid of mice. [great advice cut] A
cat is a great solution.

Truly, cats are bred for this job, and they're easy to live with, but
not all cats hunt. They need to be taught by their mothers, so don't
assume that the cat you take home from the SPCA will do its job.

I have one cat who hunts, and one who doesn't (the Persian, imagine
that). They're wonderful companions.

You can tell from a kitten that the hunters have the longest whiskers and
the widest eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com

I have not tried them outside but as long as you keep them dry they
sould work fine. I bought mine on ebay. They are a little pricey but
worth it if you have a mouse problem because they work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com

Look on ebay. That is where I got mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:04:39 -0500, dicko
wrote:

I use Intruder traps.

SWEET!
I bought these today.

I found out they were coming up from the basement through the hole
where the gas line comes through the floor for the stove.

There were alot of droppings in the stove's storage drawer, so I set
the trap there.

As soon as the sun went down and things quieted down...SNAP! BAM!
TOSS! FLOP! First kill.

Took about 20-30 seconds for it to die. It was a big mother for a
field mouse.

Thanks again!