Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default On Topic: Lidl impact screwdriver on thursday

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
I hate the things.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"dennis@home" wrote in message
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 11:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
I hate the things.
Brian

Maybe you just don't use them for the right job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?

Pretty good for screwing 4x2" timbers together

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 11:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
I hate the things.

Are you talking about the modern battery drill like tool with a
torsional impact action? (i.e. something akin to a small light electric
version of the thing that tyre fitting places use for wheel nut
removal), or are you talking about the old mechanical lump one hits with
a hammer to free stuck fasteners?

The former, I find there are relatively few occasions where they don't
work. The latter, outside of a mechanics workshop, useful once in a blue
moon.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
I hate the things.

I have one of those little Makita types. Absolutely brilliant.

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 23/07/2018 11:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
I hate the things.

Are you talking about the modern battery drill like tool with a
torsional impact action? (i.e. something akin to a small light electric
version of the thing that tyre fitting places use for wheel nut
removal), or are you talking about the old mechanical lump one hits
with a hammer to free stuck fasteners?

The former, I find there are relatively few occasions where they don't
work. The latter, outside of a mechanics workshop, useful once in a
blue moon.

That's interesting. I only have the big lump that you hit with a hammer
and it's my go-to tool for freeing biggish stuck screws. That said, in
its heyday it will only have been needed about once in 6 months.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?

Yes, someone posted a link to a youtube that compared
a ryobi pair, non impact and impact and the difference
was very dramatic with the most difficult test situation.

Unfortunately that isnt likely to help you much although
the audio was very well done and may be enough for you.

I hate the things.

That痴 just prejudice, they do work very well
indeed for the worst screw driving situations.

"dennis@home" wrote in message
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 17:54, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 23/07/2018 11:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
ツ* I hate the things.

Are you talking about the modern battery drill like tool with a
torsional impact action? (i.e. something akin to a small light
electric version of the thing that tyre fitting places use for wheel
nut removal), or are you talking about the old mechanical lump one
hits with a hammer to free stuck fasteners?

The former, I find there are relatively few occasions where they don't
work. The latter, outside of a mechanics workshop, useful once in a
blue moon.

That's interesting. I only have the big lump that you hit with a hammer
and it's my go-to tool for freeing biggish stuck screws. That said, in
its heyday it will only have been needed about once in 6 months.

Yup, they[1] have their uses... stuck phillips head machine screws being
a particular speciality, where they are good at turning while also
strongly resisting cam out.

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Disambiguation

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 11:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
I hate the things.
Brian

Do you have a decent one? I have the Makita which takes 14.4 NiCads and
I think it is WONDERFUL. Easy to control over a wide speed range, and
amazingly effective on stuck screws. Ordinary bits don't last long,
though, and you have to replace the special bits more often than you
would with an ordinary combi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 17:54, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 23/07/2018 11:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works?
ツ* I hate the things.

Are you talking about the modern battery drill like tool with a
torsional impact action? (i.e. something akin to a small light
electric version of the thing that tyre fitting places use for wheel
nut removal), or are you talking about the old mechanical lump one
hits with a hammer to free stuck fasteners?

The former, I find there are relatively few occasions where they don't
work. The latter, outside of a mechanics workshop, useful once in a
blue moon.

That's interesting. I only have the big lump that you hit with a hammer
and it's my go-to tool for freeing biggish stuck screws. That said, in
its heyday it will only have been needed about once in 6 months.

As often as that? Every few years in my case. Changing the subject
slightly, there was an interesting post recently where someone had a
stuck pulley nut on a Belle cement mixer, and they got that off (without
needing to lock anything) using a half inch square drive socket on an
adaptor from a standard small cordless impact screwdriver. That prompted
me to get a set of adaptors for mine too. Next time I have a tight car
wheelnut, I'll give that a try instead of getting out the cheater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 22:42:50 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Changing the subject
slightly, there was an interesting post recently where someone had a
stuck pulley nut on a Belle cement mixer, and they got that off (without
needing to lock anything) using a half inch square drive socket on an
adaptor from a standard small cordless impact screwdriver.

I had to take the pulley off an old washing machine the other day and
I did exactly as I suggested in that thread and clamped the two
standing parts of the belt together around the pulley and over a fixed
part of the outer tub, it came off first time with a std 1/2" sq
drive, socket and T bar (that I whacked with a hammer). ;-)

That prompted
me to get a set of adaptors for mine too. Next time I have a tight car
wheelnut, I'll give that a try instead of getting out the cheater.

A mate has a fairly good make battery impact wrench and a pneumatic
rattle gun and neither would touch the wheelnuts on his old Landy. A
bigger compressor, larger i/d airlines and a new more powerful rattle
gun seemed to sort it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 23/07/2018 17:54, Bill wrote:
In message , John Rumm
writes
[...]

Yeah, I've been tempted to get one for the car. I have had to jump on the
wheel brace at times after the tyre place has used their air spanner etc.
And to drive the jack which is a little awkward to wind up until it starts
lifting the car. Corse as soon as I do that, I wont get another flat tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 July 2018 10:17:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

I'm puzzled. is it thursday or the 29th? Is it 34.99 or 39.99?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2018 01:42, wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2018 10:17:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

I'm puzzled. is it thursday or the 29th? Is it 34.99 or 39.99?

Might vary by store - select the one nearest you and see what it does
(mine is Thursday 26th and ツ」35).

Aldi are a bit better with the weekly offer consistency, with their
online shop.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:50:49 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Yup, they[1] have their uses... stuck phillips head machine screws being
a particular speciality, where they are good at turning while also
strongly resisting cam out.

Which is why I bough one for my first Honda motorbike many years ago.

Now it's only recent use has been with a reverse thread "bolt drip"
socket for undoing security dome nuts and it has been used on a
security wheel nut successfully.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 22:42, newshound wrote:

As often as that? Every few years in my case. Changing the subject
slightly, there was an interesting post recently where someone had a
stuck pulley nut on a Belle cement mixer, and they got that off (without
needing to lock anything) using a half inch square drive socket on an
adaptor from a standard small cordless impact screwdriver. That prompted
me to get a set of adaptors for mine too. Next time I have a tight car
wheelnut, I'll give that a try instead of getting out the cheater.

Be careful when tightening them up, the ID can exceed the torque by
quite a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2018 00:31, T i m wrote:

A mate has a fairly good make battery impact wrench and a pneumatic
rattle gun and neither would touch the wheelnuts on his old Landy. A
bigger compressor, larger i/d airlines and a new more powerful rattle
gun seemed to sort it. ;-)

A bit overtightened then?
Maybe they needed oiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:36:18 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 24/07/2018 00:31, T i m wrote:

A mate has a fairly good make battery impact wrench and a pneumatic
rattle gun and neither would touch the wheelnuts on his old Landy. A
bigger compressor, larger i/d airlines and a new more powerful rattle
gun seemed to sort it. ;-)

A bit overtightened then?

Or a bit rusty / stuck.

Maybe they needed oiling.

I'd have used some release oil on them to help them off but he just
used a bigger breaker bar (3/4" sqdr) on that side and the
aforementioned bigger gear on the other side some days later.

He's a fan of using power tools but for me the speed advantage is
somewhat consumed by the time it takes to get the extra tools out (and
put away again).

Different if you were working in a garage etc and have all the tools
to hand ... but we even built the kitcar outside as there wasn't room
for the tools and kitcar (in kit form) and all the donor parts in the
garage.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/07/2018 00:31, T i m wrote:

A mate has a fairly good make battery impact wrench and a pneumatic
rattle gun and neither would touch the wheelnuts on his old Landy. A
bigger compressor, larger i/d airlines and a new more powerful rattle
gun seemed to sort it. ;-)

A bit overtightened then?

Or a bit rusty / stuck.

Maybe they needed oiling.

I'd have used some release oil on them to help them off but he just
used a bigger breaker bar (3/4" sqdr) on that side and the
aforementioned bigger gear on the other side some days later.

The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.
People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 17:14:20 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.

I think the ability to do that can be a function of the depth of the
wheel and the profile of the brace.

People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.
People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.
People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

I've found a wheel brace with an extending telescopic handle has got the
most stubborn of wheel nuts off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-.../dp/B003XJOOK2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2018 19:33, alan_m wrote:
In article ,
ツ*ツ*ツ* dennis@home wrote:
The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.
People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

I've found a wheel brace with an extending telescopic handle has got the
most stubborn of wheel nuts off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-.../dp/B003XJOOK2

I've also seen the whole stud turn round too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.
People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

I did that first and jumped on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
dennis@home wrote

The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the
normal wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and
started to jack it. People often forget they already have a
device with a huge mechanical advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

I did that first and jumped on it.

I've done that a few times and its always worked.

What sort of jack did you use ?

Mine is like this, can't see it working very well.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ack-66907.html

Seem to remember someone else saying that they used the
jack to jack up the car in the usual way and let the car down
on the brace propped up with something to undo the tight
nuts. Sounds a bit long winded doing that with each nut.

I've just ordered one of those telescopic socket bars from aliexpress.

Needless to say I wont get another flat till I die now, so that was a
cheap way of not having to fart around with another flat tyre now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 July 2018 10:17:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

looking forward to playing with it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2018 22:46, wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2018 10:17:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

Yep, it is.

looking forward to playing with it

Seems pretty good - chunky and capable (from a limited play). Not the
last word in smoothly engaging speed/impact selectors, and quite
ridiculous 'rugged' styling. Not sure I'll keep the case - but useful if
you need it. Extra batteries ぎ15 plus ぎ5 delivery.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2018 23:27, Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
ツ*dennis@home wrote

The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack
it. People often forget they already have a device with a huge
mechanical advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

I did that first and jumped on it.

I've done that a few times and its always worked.
What sort of jack did you use ?

Mine is like this, can't see it working very well.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ack-66907.html

While they don't go quite so low (so it might rule them out) I'd prefer
a bottle jack - especially at that price. Neither give much stability,
though.
--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
news
On 24/07/2018 23:27, Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
dennis@home wrote

The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal
wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it.
People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical
advantage.

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

I did that first and jumped on it.

I've done that a few times and its always worked.
What sort of jack did you use ?

Mine is like this, can't see it working very well.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ack-66907.html

While they don't go quite so low (so it might rule them out)

Yep, particularly for the lower nuts.

I'd prefer a bottle jack - especially at that price. Neither give much
stability, though.

Not convinced you need that when changing a flat tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 July 2018 09:04:09 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 26/07/2018 22:46, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2018 10:17:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=14894

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

Yep, it is.

looking forward to playing with it

Seems pretty good - chunky and capable (from a limited play). Not the
last word in smoothly engaging speed/impact selectors, and quite
ridiculous 'rugged' styling. Not sure I'll keep the case - but useful if
you need it. Extra batteries ぎ15 plus ぎ5 delivery.

I noticed the controls are awkward to engage & it's styled like a toy. It was ツ」35 though, I look forward to being grateful for it.

IME Aldi don't stock spares for long, if you want any you need to get them long before you need them. I wouldn't be surprised if Lidl were similar.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

it's styled like a toy

Then again, so are many engineer.jp tools ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
It's very erratic in-store. Online isn't too bad - usually. The 、15
battery I referred to wasn't the right one - they
(predictably/infuriatingly) have a few different 12V batteries, and this
one isn't listed (yet).

Other Lidl consumables can be very expensive - 5 paper vacuum bags were
not much less than the vacuum. I had a bit of a moan at them about that,
and while I got something approaching an apology (I suggested they could
make people aware of the cost at the point of sale, and make consumables
available in the UK) I can't see it changing soon.

But do those parts actually come from Lidl? The spare batteries I got mail
order for tools bought from Lidl didn't.

I've got a very handy circle cutter that came from Lidl. Just basically a
router and guide - but cuts smaller circles than most can. And for some
odd reason the bits are imperial rather than metric which suggests the
tool might be of US origin. And the bits cost a fortune (not from Lidl)