Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita battery drill - light doesn't QUITE light up where the drill'sgoing in

I've just bought a Makita drill:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/6407p

The annoying thing is the little white LED that illuminates the area in front of the drill - because of where it's positioned the bright field of light doesn't quite get to the actual point where the bit is going into the workpiece. The chuck casts a shadow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxhjq0pdev...13149.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3wmqxd8rf...38830.jpg?dl=0

I don't want to dismantle the drill and invalidate the warranty, but I'd like to modify it in some way to address this problem. I'm thinking of prisms or fibre optics!

Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 14:45, Murmansk wrote:
I've just bought a Makita drill:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/6407p

The annoying thing is the little white LED that illuminates the area in front of the drill - because of where it's positioned the bright field of light doesn't quite get to the actual point where the bit is going into the workpiece. The chuck casts a shadow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxhjq0pdev...13149.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3wmqxd8rf...38830.jpg?dl=0

I don't want to dismantle the drill and invalidate the warranty, but I'd like to modify it in some way to address this problem. I'm thinking of prisms or fibre optics!

Any ideas?

My Bosch tools are the same. I just ignore the built-in lamp and use
other illumination.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
I've just bought a Makita drill:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/6407p

The annoying thing is the little white LED that illuminates the area in
front of the drill - because of where it's positioned the bright field
of light doesn't quite get to the actual point where the bit is going
into the workpiece. The chuck casts a shadow:

Not known one which doesn't. ;-)

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 14:45, Murmansk wrote:
I've just bought a Makita drill:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/6407p

The annoying thing is the little white LED that illuminates the area in front of the drill - because of where it's positioned the bright field of light doesn't quite get to the actual point where the bit is going into the workpiece. The chuck casts a shadow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxhjq0pdev...13149.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3wmqxd8rf...38830.jpg?dl=0

I don't want to dismantle the drill and invalidate the warranty, but I'd like to modify it in some way to address this problem. I'm thinking of prisms or fibre optics!

Any ideas?

Most of my drills don't manage to aim the light to illuminate the point
being drilled. The exceptions are an old NiMH, where the LED is in the
base of the handle, and a little Bosch screwdriver-drill, where there's
no chuck as such.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 14:45, Murmansk wrote:
I've just bought a Makita drill:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/6407p

The annoying thing is the little white LED that illuminates the area in front of the drill - because of where it's positioned the bright field of light doesn't quite get to the actual point where the bit is going into the workpiece. The chuck casts a shadow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxhjq0pdev...13149.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3wmqxd8rf...38830.jpg?dl=0

I don't want to dismantle the drill and invalidate the warranty, but I'd like to modify it in some way to address this problem. I'm thinking of prisms or fibre optics!

Any ideas?

Longer drill bit to move the point of contact further away!

--
Cheers,

John.