Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oldish Parkside drill charger

My Parkside drill charger has suddenly come over all poorly.
It worked fine 2 weeks ago when last used but now it won't charge.
I checked the voltage of the charging and it read +- 13.8 volts. It's
an 18 volt charger.
It has 6 security screws holding it together so I wondered if there
would be anything in there that I could fix/replace.
It's been a good drill and I'm reluctant to throw it out so does anyone
know if the charger might be repairable?
I know a replacement would be cheap enough but I don't want to throw
away a perfectly good drill for landfill.
Grateful for any help.
TYIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:38:22 +0100, G r o g
wrote:

My Parkside drill charger has suddenly come over all poorly.
It worked fine 2 weeks ago when last used but now it won't charge.
I checked the voltage of the charging and it read +- 13.8 volts. It's
an 18 volt charger.
It has 6 security screws holding it together so I wondered if there
would be anything in there that I could fix/replace.
It's been a good drill and I'm reluctant to throw it out so does anyone
know if the charger might be repairable?
I know a replacement would be cheap enough but I don't want to throw
away a perfectly good drill for landfill.
Grateful for any help.
TYIA

The output Voltage might not be the best indication. It might be
difficult but try measuring the current through the battery first.

The battery is the weakest link.

If you cannot access the chargers "gubbins", the drill battery should
have the rating marked on it. a foolproof way of proving the battery
is to use a resistor or load such as a small bulb and feed the battery
from a DC supply of a little over the battery Voltage. Select a
resistor/ load to drop the charge current to 10% of the battery
capacity and charge for 14 hours.

Keep an eye on the charge current and be prepared to tweak the load a
little.

After 14 hours the battery should give an output for a reasonable time
although as it's old it wont have the claimed capacity.

If it does, Toolstation stock security bits although beware as a lot
of the screws are at the bottom of a deep recess and require a single
thinnish driver.

If the battery has not charged, you can try discharging it fully and
recharging, repeat until you find an improvement or loose interest.

If the charger is faulty, you can make a 14 hr charger with a load,
but use a simple transformer and rectifier, not a smoothed PSU.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"G r o g" wrote in message
news
My Parkside drill charger has suddenly come over all poorly.
It worked fine 2 weeks ago when last used but now it won't charge.
I checked the voltage of the charging and it read +- 13.8 volts. It's an
18 volt charger.
It has 6 security screws holding it together so I wondered if there would
be anything in there that I could fix/replace.

Yes there is, but if you have to ask, you arent likely to
be able to do it without some detailed instructions
and being able to solder electronic components.

It's been a good drill and I'm reluctant to throw it out so does anyone
know if the charger might be repairable?
I know a replacement would be cheap enough but I don't want to throw away
a perfectly good drill for landfill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2018 18:38, G r o g wrote:
My Parkside drill charger has suddenly come over all poorly.
It worked fine 2 weeks ago when last used but now it won't charge.
I checked the voltage of the charging and it read +- 13.8 volts.Â* It's
an 18 volt charger.
It has 6 security screws holding it together so I wondered if there
would be anything in there that I could fix/replace.
It's been a good drill and I'm reluctant to throw it out so does anyone
know if the charger might be repairable?
I know a replacement would be cheap enough but I don't want to throw
away a perfectly good drill for landfill.
Grateful for any help.
TYIA

If you give a few more details of the exact model (or at the very least,
the battery type and voltage, and how many terminals), someone may be
able to give you some better advice. If your batteries won't fit the
current Parkside charge (ISTR you can now get a battery and charger
separately for the current ALdi/Lidl tools) it *might* be possible to
wire up your dead "socket" to the electronics of a new charger. But it
is VERY IMPORTANT to get this right otherwise you may get exploding
batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:52:04 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 15/07/2018 18:38, G r o g wrote:
[...]

The one tenth rated capacity for fourteen hours is applicable to all,
is of no risk although for repeated cycles "dirty DC" is needed.

A "new" unspecified charger is a risky and stupid way to go without
the relatively simple approach of defining where the fault lies first.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/07/2018 18:38, G r o g wrote:
[...]

Some batteries have two terminals, some have three. Not much good using
your algorithm to the wrong terminals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
G r o g wrote:
My Parkside drill charger has suddenly come over all poorly.
It worked fine 2 weeks ago when last used but now it won't charge.
I checked the voltage of the charging and it read +- 13.8 volts. It's
an 18 volt charger.
It has 6 security screws holding it together so I wondered if there
would be anything in there that I could fix/replace.
It's been a good drill and I'm reluctant to throw it out so does anyone
know if the charger might be repairable?
I know a replacement would be cheap enough but I don't want to throw
away a perfectly good drill for landfill.
Grateful for any help.

Almost certainly the battery failed. You can get them fixed, but a new
drill complete from Lidl will be better and cheaper.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/15/2018 6:38 PM, G r o g wrote:
My Parkside drill charger has suddenly come over all poorly.
It worked fine 2 weeks ago when last used but now it won't charge.
I checked the voltage of the charging and it read +- 13.8 volts.Â* It's
an 18 volt charger.
It has 6 security screws holding it together so I wondered if there
would be anything in there that I could fix/replace.
It's been a good drill and I'm reluctant to throw it out so does anyone
know if the charger might be repairable?
I know a replacement would be cheap enough but I don't want to throw
away a perfectly good drill for landfill.
Grateful for any help.
TYIA

Thanks for the info so far.
A couple of new bits of info: The charger type is PABS 18-2SL; the drill
type is JDA-180KA, the batteries just say 1.5Ah nicad 18v.
A friend of mine who lives 14 miles away took the drill and batteries to
see if any of his chargers would work. He forced the batteries into a
"Challenge Extreme" charger and both batteries fully charged, so it
looks like the charger is faulty, not the batteries. Unfortunately 28
mile round trip isn't really on for whenever 1 need a recharge!
TYIA (again)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 18:44, G r o g wrote:
On 7/15/2018 6:38 PM, G r o g wrote:
[...]

see if any of his chargers would work.Â* He forced the batteries into a
"Challenge Extreme" charger and both batteries fully charged, so it
looks like the charger is faulty, not the batteries.Â* Unfortunately 28
mile round trip isn't really on for whenever 1 need a recharge!
TYIA (again)

Lidl are selling a Lithium ion battery plus charger at the moment. Not
much help I know. IIRC some chargers are smart enough to charge both types.

Parkside router. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 23 January 16th 19 09:14 PM
Parkside Cordless Arthur 51 UK diy 47 February 19th 18 11:45 PM
Lidl - Parkside Table Top Circular Saw markp1706 UK diy 22 September 3rd 17 02:49 PM
Lidl 3hp Parkside compressor - mini review R D S[_2_] UK diy 7 October 25th 11 08:15 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM