Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parkside router.

I have a small router thingie bought from Lidl (Parkside) which is great
for cutting small holes out of ply etc using the supplied guide. Makes a
neater hole than using a holesaw. Came with two cutters - a fairly
standard looking fluted router bit and a sort of combination drill and
cutter. Both of which have 3/16th shanks. Or could be 4.71mm. ;-) I've
just broken the drill thingie, and the router type bit is getting blunt.
But where to get spares? It's a collet type chuck and doesn't look like it
would accept other sizes - or at least not unless I could get the right
collet.

I do have a decent make router - but it's too big for size of hole I want
to make.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a small router thingie bought from Lidl (Parkside) which is great
for cutting small holes out of ply etc using the supplied guide. Makes a
neater hole than using a holesaw. Came with two cutters - a fairly
standard looking fluted router bit and a sort of combination drill and
cutter. Both of which have 3/16th shanks. Or could be 4.71mm. ;-) I've
just broken the drill thingie, and the router type bit is getting blunt.
But where to get spares? It's a collet type chuck and doesn't look like it
would accept other sizes - or at least not unless I could get the right
collet.

I do have a decent make router - but it's too big for size of hole I want
to make.

3/16" or 4.8mm or 5mmm

****ing yankee size. seem to be hens teeth here Dremel do some but not
over here

Or do they
This looks like the bunny...googled Dremel Trio

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREMEL-Mul...p2054897.l4275

..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
... and a sort of combination drill and
cutter. Both of which have 3/16th shanks. Or could be 4.71mm. ;-) I've
just broken the drill thingie, and the router type bit is getting blunt.
But where to get spares?

Does the cutting shank part of it look like a Rippa end mill? ie like an
ordinary helix end mill with chip breakers on the teeth? Aldi & Lidl are
always selling little sets of these things which might be imperially sized.

(Ah, found a picture, the gold coloured bits is what I'm thinking of:

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMAG0435.jpg )

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I have a small router thingie bought from Lidl (Parkside) which is
great for cutting small holes out of ply etc using the supplied guide.
Makes a neater hole than using a holesaw. Came with two cutters - a
fairly standard looking fluted router bit and a sort of combination
drill and cutter. Both of which have 3/16th shanks. Or could be
4.71mm. ;-) I've just broken the drill thingie, and the router type
bit is getting blunt. But where to get spares? It's a collet type
chuck and doesn't look like it would accept other sizes - or at least
not unless I could get the right collet.

I do have a decent make router - but it's too big for size of hole I
want to make.

3/16" or 4.8mm or 5mmm

The original is definitely not 5mm. 4.7mm Or 0.185"

****ing yankee size. seem to be hens teeth here Dremel do some but not
over here

Strange given it's Lidl which is German?

Or do they This looks like the bunny...googled Dremel Trio

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREMEL-Mul...p2054897.l4275

Ah - I wondered who else used it.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
... and a sort of combination drill and cutter. Both of which have
3/16th shanks. Or could be 4.71mm. ;-) I've just broken the drill
thingie, and the router type bit is getting blunt. But where to get
spares?

Does the cutting shank part of it look like a Rippa end mill? ie like an
ordinary helix end mill with chip breakers on the teeth? Aldi & Lidl
are always selling little sets of these things which might be
imperially sized.

(Ah, found a picture, the gold coloured bits is what I'm thinking of:

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMAG0435.jpg )

No - I'd call those rotary files. There are two bits that came with it -
one is a conventional router bit, the other a strange looking almost twist
drill - which is designed to cut sideways too. Probably tungsten by the
way it snapped - but wasn't blunt.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I have a small router thingie bought from Lidl (Parkside) which is
great for cutting small holes out of ply etc using the supplied guide.
Makes a neater hole than using a holesaw. Came with two cutters - a
fairly standard looking fluted router bit and a sort of combination
drill and cutter. Both of which have 3/16th shanks. Or could be
4.71mm. ;-) I've just broken the drill thingie, and the router type
bit is getting blunt. But where to get spares? It's a collet type
chuck and doesn't look like it would accept other sizes - or at least
not unless I could get the right collet.

I do have a decent make router - but it's too big for size of hole I
want to make.

3/16" or 4.8mm or 5mmm

The original is definitely not 5mm. 4.7mm Or 0.185"

never seen 4.7mm 4.8mm or 0.1875". Occasionally 4.5mm

****ing yankee size. seem to be hens teeth here Dremel do some but not
over here

Strange given it's Lidl which is German?

the shop may be. Probably made in china for US market and dumped into
Europe.

Or do they This looks like the bunny...googled Dremel Trio

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREMEL-Mul...p2054897.l4275

Ah - I wondered who else used it.

its smaller than any 'pro router' and into the 'craft tool' range.

Have you got vernier calipers to check the exact OD? you probably have
less than 0.2mm tolerance on a collet chuck of that diameter.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
... and a sort of combination drill and cutter. Both of which have
3/16th shanks. Or could be 4.71mm. ;-) I've just broken the drill
thingie, and the router type bit is getting blunt. But where to get
spares?

Does the cutting shank part of it look like a Rippa end mill? ie like an
ordinary helix end mill with chip breakers on the teeth? Aldi & Lidl
are always selling little sets of these things which might be
imperially sized.

(Ah, found a picture, the gold coloured bits is what I'm thinking of:

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMAG0435.jpg )

No - I'd call those rotary files. There are two bits that came with it -
one is a conventional router bit, the other a strange looking almost twist
drill - which is designed to cut sideways too. Probably tungsten by the
way it snapped - but wasn't blunt.

Mmm. helical flute?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of router
cutter to use?

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of router
cutter to use?

Er... Hole saw or is this a trick question?:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of
router cutter to use?

Er... Hole saw or is this a trick question?:-)

A router gives a neater result. And, of course, can make any sized hole.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
This looks like the bunny...googled Dremel Trio

Yup - that's the one. Just why Lidl used such an obscure standard gawd
knows. But at least the bits are available - although at much higher cost
than 1/4 or 1/2" shank sizes.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of router
cutter to use?

A spiral flute up or down cutter depending on which face need to be
perfect. Down cut= good top face.
These bits tend to be best run at very high speed with steady feed as
found on CNC routers.
The bits are long lasting but expensive and intolerant of problems-
being made of solid tungsten carbide.
Depending the work and the user a single flute straight cutter might
work out better value for DIY use? These give adequate top and bottom
finish with a carbide blade supported by a tough steel shank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of
router cutter to use?

A spiral flute up or down cutter depending on which face need to be
perfect. Down cut= good top face.
These bits tend to be best run at very high speed with steady feed as
found on CNC routers.
The bits are long lasting but expensive and intolerant of problems-
being made of solid tungsten carbide.
Depending the work and the user a single flute straight cutter might
work out better value for DIY use? These give adequate top and bottom
finish with a carbide blade supported by a tough steel shank.

Thanks Bob - just what I wanted to know. That's could be why the spiral
flute type isn't available from the likes of ToolStation?

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No - I'd call those rotary files. There are two bits that came with it -
one is a conventional router bit, the other a strange looking almost twist
drill - which is designed to cut sideways too. Probably tungsten by the
way it snapped - but wasn't blunt.

Like a spiral up or down cut bit?

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...olid_sets.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of
router cutter to use?

A spiral flute up or down cutter depending on which face need to be
perfect. Down cut= good top face.
These bits tend to be best run at very high speed with steady feed as
found on CNC routers.
The bits are long lasting but expensive and intolerant of problems-
being made of solid tungsten carbide.
Depending the work and the user a single flute straight cutter might
work out better value for DIY use? These give adequate top and bottom
finish with a carbide blade supported by a tough steel shank.

Thanks Bob - just what I wanted to know. That's could be why the spiral
flute type isn't available from the likes of ToolStation?

Cutters from the sheds/Screwfix/toolsatan are Ok but only basic quality.
I've found the best combination of quality and price with next day
delivery for modest charge is Wealden http://www.wealdentool.com/
No commercial connection/satisfied long term customer etc etc
However I doubt that they will have your 3/16 shank cutters. I guess the
trick for those will be to stock up when ever aldidls are running offers
on the routers as they usually will have additional tooling offered at
the same time.
Wealden will make/obtain specials but I expect at a price and "How many
thousand would sir like?" and even then possible based on standard shank
diameters.

Also don't even think about using metalwork milling cutters, whilst they
have the up cut spiral, the clearance angles are all wrong and they burn
up very quickly in wood DAMHIKT!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

Incidentally down cut bits are only suitable for through cutting where
the bit enters an existing edge of the material not for plunge cutting.
The waste is pushed downwards and blind hole cutting will end in tears
with cutters becoming FUBAR very quickly.
If you need a high finish on one face then best to work from the back
and use an up-spiral cutter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
However I doubt that they will have your 3/16 shank cutters. I guess the
trick for those will be to stock up when ever aldidls are running offers
on the routers as they usually will have additional tooling offered at
the same time.

I don't remember seeing spare sets at all. Several of their power tools
come up fairly often - this was the only time I've seen this one. It
appealed because of the ability to make holes down to about 100mm
diameter. My other routers start at much more than that. Besides, it was
cheap. ;-)

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Similar must go for their abrasive discs. Won't fit a UK 4 1/4" angle
grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For cutting a hole in plywood, what is the name of the best type of router
cutter to use?

'Sharp'

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:19:13 PM UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,

Bob Minchin wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[...]

I would second a vote for Wealden. Been using them for years. Prices are competitive and service very good. You can download their price list and catalogue from their site.

I don't understand why you think your 'Big' router won't manage a small hole. With the appropriate jig, easily home made, they will make any size hole.. If you dont fancy making your own jig then these people, http://www.microfence.com/ make the Rolls Royce version, at a Rolls Royce price. They are very accurate. Can be set to 0.001" with complete confidence and repeatabiiity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
This looks like the bunny...googled Dremel Trio

Yup - that's the one. Just why Lidl used such an obscure standard gawd
knows. But at least the bits are available - although at much higher cost
than 1/4 or 1/2" shank sizes.

Are they the same as rotozip?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
This looks like the bunny...googled Dremel Trio

Yup - that's the one. Just why Lidl used such an obscure standard gawd
knows. But at least the bits are available - although at much higher
cost than 1/4 or 1/2" shank sizes.

Are they the same as rotozip?

Similar sort of thing.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
I don't understand why you think your 'Big' router won't manage a small
hole. With the appropriate jig, easily home made, they will make any
size hole. If you dont fancy making your own jig then these people,
http://www.microfence.com/ make the Rolls Royce version, at a Rolls
Royce price. They are very accurate. Can be set to 0.001" with complete
confidence and repeatabiiity.

Depends on how much dismantling you're willing to do, I suppose. But it
seems to say the minimum circle is 6". Way bigger than I need.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Plowman (News), Handcrafted Creations in Wood wrote:
Hi - can anybody recommend a bushing guide / inlay kit for the parkside
router. Not experienced, want to have a go, think I can manage the method but
not adept at picking one that going to fit with my router, much appreciated.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-939389-.htm

Parkside Cordless Arthur 51 UK diy 47 February 19th 18 11:45 PM
Lidl - Parkside Table Top Circular Saw markp1706 UK diy 22 September 3rd 17 02:49 PM
Lidl 3hp Parkside compressor - mini review R D S[_2_] UK diy 7 October 25th 11 08:15 AM
Making a router plate to mate Triton router to Wolfcraft Router table PinInCalgary Woodworking 5 December 22nd 09 08:29 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM